+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How Chris Weidman established himself as the top middleweight in the world

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    And Rise is suggesting that Franklin be on the list, remember what happened when they met.
    Machida won but I think career wise Franklin and Machida aren't far apart. I don;t think a loss between the two should really diminish a career really

Rampage/Davis were awful decisions if I remember correctly.
    They were certainly debatable decisions Machida played a role in that. His tentativeness and lack of aggression in both fights certainly didn't score points for him in the rounds that were up for debate.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Then you'd also say Mark Hunt's win over Struve was...something less than decisive?

rh
    Was that a broken jaw? I dont remember.

I just have a hard time calling a checked kick which led to a broken leg a "decisive" or "dominant" victory. Of course this is just my opinion.

I agree that the one fight should not fully decide where to place them but I think Machida is far ahead of Franklin in terms of careers (although as I am typing this Franklin's win over Liddell is flashing in my head).

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Machida won but I think career wise Franklin and Machida aren't far apart. I don;t think a loss between the two should really diminish a career really.
    True, Machida has let a few fights get away from him with his style.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    They were certainly debatable decisions Machida played a role in that. His tentativeness and lack of aggression in both fights certainly didn't score points for him in the rounds that were up for debate.

I'd say intentionally and offensively exploiting a weakness in your opponent's game that ends a fight is decisive. I've never called it dominant.

Not every punch breaks a jaw. Not every checked kick breaks a leg. But jabs injure, checked kicks injure.

But you're certainly welcome to your opinion.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    you have Machida as a legend? Really? the guy that is now 5-5 in his last 10 fights...a legend?
    There is no way you can consider Belfort a legend and not Machida in my opinion, Vitor was the most bullshit champion of all time.

I think the key to describing the second Silva fight is perspective.

Weidman KO'ed him in the first fight and then walked out and took zero damage and exploited a casual/slapping kick.

I think he's been dominated silva in that he has walked into two fights against him and has walked out practically unscathed while Silva has been KO'ed in one and left with a broken leg in the other.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post

Weidman KO'ed him in the first fight and then walked out and took zero damage and exploited a casual/slapping kick.

I think he's been dominated silva in that he has walked into two fights against him and has walked out practically unscathed while Silva has been KO'ed in one and left with a broken leg in the other.
    So you're saying he even wins by Stockton Rules?

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Exactly. He dropped Silva in the first round of their second fight and did a beautiful check in the second. Leg break was a bit of a fluke but it is not like Silva was winning the fight.

I hope they don;t give Silva an immediate rematch, he needs to win 2 or 3 and one should be a fight with Machida, that fight would be epic.

Machida-Silva
    Machida-Belfort (on trt or else it will suck)
    Silva-Belfort 2 (on trt or else it will suck).

Really want to see these.

Don't forget he knocked Silva down from the clinch in the second fight which has been Silva's claim to fame over the years.

I haven't forgotten it at all!

I just don't like to cite it because he recovered and many people here were butthurt about us saying he was nearly KO'ed.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information