+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How Chris Weidman established himself as the top middleweight in the world

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I haven't forgotten it at all!

I just don't like to cite it because he recovered and many people here were butthurt about us saying he was nearly KO'ed.
    Haha very true, I actually went to find a gif of it just now and the google search led me to some ridiculously butt hurt Silva fan threads on sherdog.

What is a "sherdog"?

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Haha very true, I actually went to find a gif of it just now and the google search led me to some ridiculously butt hurt Silva fan threads on sherdog.

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    What is a "sherdog"?
    I believe it was an old, old wooden ship used in the civil war era.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I think the key to describing the second Silva fight is perspective.

Weidman KO'ed him in the first fight and then walked out and took zero damage and exploited a casual/slapping kick.

I think he's been dominated silva in that he has walked into two fights against him and has walked out practically unscathed while Silva has been KO'ed in one and left with a broken leg in the other.
    Correct me if Im wrong. Didnt Silva cut Weidman up from his back after getting knocked down?

Probably will never happen but I would love to see a 3rd fight between the 2; after Anderson wins a couple of solid fights.

Quote Originally Posted by 0mega1 View Post
    Correct me if Im wrong. Didnt Silva cut Weidman up from his back after getting knocked down?
    The first bout, Anderson got a medical suspension of 45 days. Weidman got...0 days medical suspension.
    The second bout, Anderson got a medical suspension of 6 months. Weidman got...0 days medical suspension.

I'd say that was the very definition of taking zero damage and walking out practically unscathed.
    But then, I'd say when you're looking to actively hurt a fighter and you end up breaking his bone and stopping the bout it is a decisive victory; so maybe we have different perspectives.

Probably will never happen but I would love to see a 3rd fight between the 2; after Anderson wins a couple of solid fights.
    I think Anderson will be smarter than Penn, and will test the water thoroughly before putting himself in harms way.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cornute View Post
    Greatness isn't is defined simply by beating or besting a competitor.
    There were the few whom beat Ali yet Ali rightly claimed and is lauded in boxing circles as the greatest.
    It is the style in which he beat opponent's as well as the lengthy reign that he is likely referring to when he states Weidman may not equal Silva's greatness.
    I gotcha, Silva definitely has the more legendary style. But I don't doubt Wiedman can establish a more dominant reign. And he might have the opportunity to take on tougher fights moving up to 205. I think Silva could have created an even more amazing legacy taking on more interesting fights at 205.

Silva had a lot of really soft fights, always seemed like once he got established he would rather take the easy road.

Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post
    I gotcha, Silva definitely has the more legendary style. But I don't doubt Wiedman can establish a more dominant reign. And he might have the opportunity to take on tougher fights moving up to 205. I think Silva could have created an even more amazing legacy taking on more interesting fights at 205.

Silva had a lot of really soft fights, always seemed like once he got established he would rather take the easy road.
    i agree, the Bonnar and Irvin fights were a real big waste of time. The Griffin fight was at least a co main event on a championship card and it was against a former LHW champ.

I never liked the fact that we didn't get a Silva/Marquardt or Silva/Hendo rematch.

And Forrest was coming off his title loss to Rashad, which likely impacted him going into the Silva fight. Not to say he'd have beaten Silva had he not gone through that though.

Goddamnit I still wanna see a Silva/Marquardt or Silva/Hendo rematch. The latter could be a good PPV co-main while the Marquardt fight would be a good main event for a FOX card. I think both would actually.

Yeah, Franklin, Hendo, and Belfort were his toughest opponents that he dismantled. Other than Sonnen, a lot of the fights never seemed like a threat to him. The division had to be slow when Damien Maia got the title shot. Would have been really cool to see him challenge the elite 205ers. Got to give Jon Jones credit whether you like him or not, he steamrolled a pretty decent list of fighters althought some of them were leaving their prime (Rampage, Rashaad). But I think his run to the title and defending it has been more impressive than Silva's.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information