+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ray Longo to Vitor Belfort: 'Be a man, don't lie'

Default Ray Longo to Vitor Belfort: 'Be a man, don't lie'

[QUOTE]
    Striking coach Ray Longo had a big weekend this past one, with his students Chris Weidman and Eddie Gordon winning big at UFC 175 and the TUF 19 Finale, respectively. Afterwards, Longo spoke with MMA Fighting and had plain-spoken advice for the man UFC president Dana White says will likely challenge Weidman next for the middleweight belt, Vitor Belfort.
    "Play by the rules, man up. Don't be a liar. I mean, what do we stand for?" Longo said.
    Belfort has failed two drug tests in his career, most recently this past February. Before that test, Belfort spent the past couple years fighting under dubious foreign regulation that allowed him to undergo drug treatment that U.S. regulators and commission consulting physicians said he should not be allowed to use because of his past steroid use.
    Belfort is also unlicensed in the state of Nevada and should face an up-hill battle to get that license. If he does not, and is allowed to fight Weidman next and soon, Longo appealed to Belfort's conscience. "You've got kids, you're lying to everybody," he went on.
    "Just play by the rules and Weidman will fight him any day of the week."
    https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mm...160657884.html
    Last edited by rivethead; 07-07-2014 at 08:22 PM. Reason: format

I don't like it when longo or Serra get to talking on weidmans behalf.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I don't like it when longo or Serra get to talking on weidmans behalf.
    I do and I don't. I do because I find them both hilarious but I don't because it makes Weidman look bad. Also I feel like they are taken out of context a lot because they aren't the most intellectual and reporters take advantage.
    Last edited by IceCold48; 07-07-2014 at 09:41 PM.

I'm starting to like Longo, if only for the wackiness. Weidman is so cool and collected and well mannered that a little Longo mixed in between fights keeps things interesting lol.

"Punch a hole right through is f@#$ing chest"

Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post
    "Punch a hole right through is f@#$ing chest"
    "Primetime ya new name" I also love how he just calls him "Weidman" when he is talking to him.

As far as I'm concerned longo and weidman are two separate people, and one can speak his mind without making the other look bad...

Quote Originally Posted by rspier View Post
    As far as I'm concerned longo and weidman are two separate people, and one can speak his mind without making the other look bad...
    It's a slippery slope. Look how much heat Anderson came under for soares' nonsense.

Although to be fair, Longo is skilled coach, and soares is...much, much less than that.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

You know, ed soares has said some pretty dumb shit as Anderson's manager, but I always though:"that Ed is a real moron, silva should probably find someone else." I never really saw Ed's comments as Anderson's, or held ten against Anderson... Same with Longo/Weidman. I find longo and Serra entertaining in their crassness... But either way, I only hold a man to the words coming out of his own mouth.

I understand I don't speak for all of the public, and because of such a manager/coach can make his boy look bad... I just don't see it that way.

I can only speak for myself but I personally think Weidman's quietness and seemingly humble and unassuming nature allows Serra and Longo to become the personality that comes forth from him. Wrong or right, it's HIS image and allowing them to speak on his behalf in their typical manner is a reflection of him as long as he allows it.

Now, do I hold him responsible for the bone-headed things those guys are apt to say? No. However, I also do not dismiss the fact that they are building an aura and character around their fighter that may or may not be indicative of how he actually is behind closed doors.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information