Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nevada attorney general files complaint against Chael Sonnen, who could face $250,000

Default Nevada attorney general files complaint against Chael Sonnen, who could face $250,000

Nevada attorney general files complaint against Chael Sonnen, who could face $250,000 fine
    http://www.mmamania.com/2014/7/7/587...0000-fine-nsac
    Chael Sonnen is currently "laying low" and "enjoying his money," according to a recent statement from Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White.

However, both situations could soon be turned upside-down thanks to Nevada's attorney general, who filed a formal complaint against the recently-retired mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter in the wake of his two failed drug tests that detected four banned substances in his system.

To the tune of $250,000, which would serve as the maximum fine amount, in addition to all costs associated with the situation such as attorney's fees, laboratory testing and other "investigative" expenses. In addition, Sonnen would be required to provide a negative urine test prior to applying for a fight license in the future.

Don't call it a comeback.

Sonnen was sent the letter on June 26, 2014, and has 20 days to respond to the complaint
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

the fact that there is even the slightest possibility of him applying for a license in the future is pathetic.

He's eclipsed Barnett as the absolute worst PED abuser in the industry.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

To me this is all backwards. 250k is WAY too much for failing a drug test. A lot of guys would have to declare bankruptcy after. On the other hand, I'm fine with a permanent ban from competition. Take your money and go train for another career.

I don't see how they justify 250k.

Barnett screwed us out of one hell of a fight and I'm not about to forgive that.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    To me this is all backwards. 250k is WAY too much for failing a drug test. A lot of guys would have to declare bankruptcy after. On the other hand, I'm fine with a permanent ban from competition. Take your money and go train for another career.

I don't see how they justify 250k.
    I agree it is a crazy fine but I think the AC's need to take a stance, HGH and EPO aint no joke. To enter into a combat sport juiced to the gills should almost be considered criminal negligence in my eyes.

What if a juiced up Sonnen (or anyone for that matter) was to enter into the octagon and seriously injure someone and in the post fight drug tests gets popped for HGH, EPOs and a couple other banned substances? The UFC would be fucked, the AC would probably be fucked and in my opinion the abuser should be held criminally responsible for their actions.

Cheating in a regular sport is one thing, having a chemical advantage in a sport where your main goal is to either knock out your opponent or submit them is on a whole different level.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I think the fine should fit the fighter's income. If you're making 8/8k per fight, a 2.5k fine represents a huge chunk of your income. dana's bragging about how much money he gave sonnen, he can probably afford a quarter mil.

It would be really insulting to fine him the same way you'd fine a guy who has never broken out of the prelims and never even tasted a PPV point.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Barnett screwed us out of one hell of a fight and I'm not about to forgive that.
    Oh, I'm not forgiving Barnett for anything. I still don't think he should be fighting on the highest stage available, and I think he should be paying for drug tests out of his own pocket for the rest of his career.

But in context, Barnett's case is a bit different than sonnen's; at least in my opinion. Barnett got caught [2x] when the sport was still relatively new, when testing wasn't as common and when use was [allegedly] more rampant. PED's have become a buzzword that is tied to MMA for about 4 years, and have really blown up into a hot-button topic that is tied directly to the UFC in the last year or so; both of Barnett's offenses pre-date that.

Josh also didn't deliberately try to sabotage anyone elses' career in his failure. Yes, Affliction got destroyed, and Fedor [and the fans] got royally fucked, but it wasn't something that Barnett had planned. His decision to cheat was a personal one, any bystander casualties were unintentional.

Compare that with sonnen: He cheats for the Anderson fight, after blowing it up as big as it can possibly get. He lies and tries to cover later, introducing TRT abuse on a large scale to the industry [and for the record, I feel like the industry would have found that anyway, but sonnen happened to be the serpent who showed the way to the apple tree]. He then fakes contrition, pays his fine, sits out, kisses enough ass--and goes right back to what he did before he got caught. Two years down the line, he's over-hyping a bout with Wanderlei, and Wandi skips on a test.

Does sonnen just let zuffa handle it? Stay above and beyond that; knowing that he lives in a glass house, that pots declaiming the relative coloration of kettles is widely interpreted as hypocritical?

Nope.

He deliberately throws as much kerosene on the fire of Wandi's career as he can, all the while he's ingesting half a drug-store worth of shit. While he's got a veritable cornucopia of PEDs coursing through his veins, sonnen actually breaks the story on Wandi, and throws in speculation about Silva's entire career while he's at it.

Killing Affliction was bad, but you can't forget that Affliction had Todd Beard involved and was literally living paycheck to paycheck. It was a house of cards, and it wasn't anything Barnett did intentionally.

I'd contend that sonnen was a more deliberate and intentional user, that his utter lack of ethics weren't simply confined to his personal use; he was happy to push other fighters under the bus as well--all the while he was doing as much/if not more than they were to cheat.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

This punishment is about more than the drugs they found in Chael's body. It is also about out the bullshit that spewed from Chael Sonnens mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I think the fine should fit the fighter's income. If you're making 8/8k per fight, a 2.5k fine represents a huge chunk of your income. dana's bragging about how much money he gave sonnen, he can probably afford a quarter mil.

It would be really insulting to fine him the same way you'd fine a guy who has never broken out of the prelims and never even tasted a PPV point.
    rh
    I agree completely. Fines for missing weight is a percentage of the fighters purse is only logical fines should be too.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

I would absolutely shit my pants if I got a 250K fine.
    You have to know what you don't know.

I don't know sonnen's fight pay right off hand but I'm sure he has been banking 250k per fight for awhile. Given what I'm sure is a multi million dollar bank account, this fine is fair. I've been a big fan of chael for a long time. Even before the first Silva fight. That has all changed now. He has been exposed now more than ever as a hypocrite and a liar. I have absolutely zero faith in him as a fighter or a human being. He has lost all credibility. 250k for the black eye he gave this sport; not to mention opponents that he had an unfair advantage against, is absolutely justified. He is deserving of all of the punishment he has received to date.

move one's bowels to a chicken coop. Kill chickens and pick up feathers. They blow the whistle on for 10 ea on forums. Also bury the bones you find.

Thread Information