Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC 176 canceled after main event falls apart due to injury

Default UFC 176 canceled after main event falls apart due to injury

For only the second time in company history, the UFC has pulled the plug on the fight card announcing Tuesday that UFC 176 has been canceled.

The show scheduled in Los Angeles on August 2 at the Staples Center was set to be headlined by featherweight champion Jose Aldo against top contender Chad Mendes in a rematch from a bout the two had in 2012.
    Unfortunately, Aldo pulled out of the bout with a neck injury that will only sideline him for approximately 45 days, but that was enough time for him to be unable to perform as early as Aug. 2.

The only other time the UFC has had to pull a card like this previously was in 2012 for UFC 151, which was also cancelled after Dan Henderson suffered a late injury forcing him out of the main event bout against light heavyweight champion Jon Jones. With less than two weeks to go until show time, the UFC decided to cancel the show entirely and rebook the fights for a later date.

With Aldo sidelined on just over a month's notice, the options for the UFC to put together a replacement main event were also slim to none and now they've been forced to make the tough call to yank the show entirely and reschedule for a later date.

The remainder of the undercard, which currently stands at nine fights, will be shifted to later dates with many of them likely pushed to the UFC 177 card taking place on August 30 in Sacramento. That show is headlined by bantamweight champion T.J. Dillashaw in his rematch against former title holder Renan Barao.
    The UFC 177 fight card was just recently announced, but has no undercard to speak of right now so moving most of the fights from the Aug 2 show makes perfect sense.

As for ticket holders for UFC 177, refunds will be given at the point of purchase for the show no longer happening on Aug. 2. The UFC is expected to return to Los Angeles before the close of 2014 to make up for the lost show, but no definitive plans have been announced as of yet.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/ufc/story/u...fscom:ufconfox

I just heard that they postponed it. Fox sports should be a credible source so all I have to say is damn.....

Good news is that the rest of those August cards will be bolstered with a few more better fights since they're looking to disperse the rest of these 176 fights throughout the month.....

Quote Originally Posted by disposableassassin View Post
    I just heard that they postponed it. Fox sports should be a credible source so all I have to say is damn.....
    I heard the same. Regardless, this in my opinion is a result of having too many cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Good news is that the rest of those August cards will be bolstered with a few more better fights since they're looking to disperse the rest of these 176 fights throughout the month.....
    Truth. What bouts of note were on this card?

Truth. What bouts of note were on this card?
    jacare vs mousasi, maynard vs camoes

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    jacare vs mousasi, maynard vs camoes
    Outside of those and the main event the most notable name was probably Zack Makovsky, who ironically is only known from Bellator.

Gregard/Jacare is a damn fine fight.

Thanks Jon Jones, all your fault...
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

Gregard/Jacare is a damn fine fight.
    I'm waiting for Jacare vs Machida for #1 contender.. that will be wicked. Mousasi vs Jacare is a good fight as well tho, but I dont think Gegard is on the level of the aforementioned
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

Thread Information