Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC’s Ronda Rousey Paradox: Dana White’s Looming Decision

I don't agree that the writer is a dumbass. I think a good portion of the problem is hype. I hardly see any other WMMA fighter get any sort of publicity outside of Ronda. Hype combined with talent creates an aura around a fighter that can gain them popularity amongst fans. There are talented fighters in the women's bantamweight division, but none receive even a fraction of the hype Rousey does. I shouldn't say that they should get equal hype as the champion of the division. But at least something that can help lend credibility to the division. As of now it feels like any time two women are scheduled to fight, it's "Not Ronda" vs. "Not Ronda".

Hopefully it comes with more time invested in the women's division(s) and with more diverse personalities.

The real Rousey paradox is how many fights you give her until the division develops enough to provide more solid challengers. If they sign Cyborg, you still have to give her a fight or two before Rousey to hype her up. It's been 3 years since she's had a fight the UFC can show footage of, and they likely won't even use that fight since she tested positive in it. Adding to that, it wouldn't hurt for Cyborg to have one UFC fight so they can have her test clean to basically shut the media up before she goes for the title. Unfortunately for the next little while, it's going to be Rousey vs ______ with the majority of fans not knowing anything about her opponent.
    The Jets have won more Superbowls than you have.

He didn't devalue the competition that Ronda has faced, which is what he would have done if he was trying say that the UFC protecting Ronda.

He was pointing out that because she has been so dominant in cleaning out the division, the UFC is now nearly without any real competition to place against her. The most attractive option is to have her fight Cyborg, but this is problem for the UFC because Cyborg is a known doper and a person that the UFC brass has openly trashed, which is someone that they don't really want as champion.

I think that he is saying is that the UFC's current options are this;
    1. If they book Rousey vs Cyborg, and Cyborg wins, they are stuck with a champion that they will receive media backlash for, they will worry about her getting caught doping, and a champion they view as a hard sell to fans.
    2. If they don't book Rousey vs Cyborg, for the above reasons, they risk Rousey becoming irrelevant because of the lack of remaining talent for her to face.

Thus, the UFC is dealing with a "Ronda Rousey Paradox".
    "Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence."
    — Vince Lombardi

That's what I get for doing something I frown upon when others do - reading the summary of the article in the first post compared to actually reading the article.

Having read it now, I should go back on previous posts of justifying the contenders, as the article doesn't necessarily de-value them. Instead, it says that if UFC doesn't find Ronda someone that will give her a real challenge (i.e, actually get her in a real fight), people will stop caring. I'm not sure if I fully agree with that. If people see the other women as cans, then yes, they will stop caring but I'm not sure if they do se them as cans. These are credible fighters but Ronda has just been destroying them. Fans love seeing destroyers. This is no different than Tyson in the 80s. People will still tune in because of her dominance, and that alone might become a spectacle. Comparing her to Tyson is a stretch, as I think she will not get fully up to the men's level but you get what I mean.

People have to realize that RR has been training since she was a little kid, not a lot of fighters have been apart of combat sports at such an age, or been so close to someone of the calibur that her mother is. That is a big gap to fill as a competitor and rival.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

Here's something else to think about that I haven't seen brought up yet:

From what I am seeing others write, there are 3 (possibly 4-5) high-level women fighters in this debate: Rousey, Cyborg, & Holm, with Zingano and Carano being the other 2. Of the first 3, Holm might be the "weakest" fighter among them (don't know much about her admittedly). So that leaves Rousey and Cyborg. If you match those 2 up, and Cyborg beats Rousey, what happens? You have the same issue that you currently have - a fighter that is clearly better than almost all the others, who will dominate her fights and have a long, almost unchallenged reign until some of the other women catch up skill-wise.

Image and scandal issues aside, signing Cyborg (and or Holm, for that matter) doesn't necessarily solve anything for the UFC in the long-term. Short-term, yes, it gives Rousey viable challenges that she currently does not seem to have. But it may take a while before there are several more women who can step up and pose a credible challenge to the "top 3." Which means you are going to have a "stale" womens 135# division for some time to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    Yeah stopped reading after his 1st sentence lol what a dumbass lol
    I haven't even read the article yet, but I value his opinion on Rousey a hell of a lot more than yours. You make BonesKnows look objective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Thanks for the support guys lol. I was in no way saying her opponents are losers, only that she is consistently beating them so easily that fans might soon tune out.
    LJS-NEMS

Quote Originally Posted by Supe View Post
    Thanks for the support guys lol. I was in no way saying her opponents are losers, only that she is consistently beating them so easily that fans might soon tune out.
    I felt you were playing devil's advocate and did a good job.

Good article.

Thread Information