Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Rashad Evans interested in WWE career

Default Report: Rashad Evans interested in WWE career

Report: Rashad Evans interested in WWE career
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...in-WWE-career/
    Rumors had circulated for some time that Rashad Evans was interested in the WWE, but now they have been confirmed by Davbe Meltzer, who knows more jointly about the UFC and the WWE than any man alive. Meltzer also said that Chael Sonnen, Roy Nelson, and Frank Mir have also expressed interest, but that the WWE has strong reservations.

Add Rashad Evans to the list of UFC fighters who have recently inquired regarding going to WWE. Evans, who is almost 35, is recovering from major knee surgery and had talked about considering retirement even before that. Fighters who get to that point recognize that they need to plan for after fighting and WWE seems like a transition, but thus far we’ve never had anyone be successful at it in the U.S. except those who were pro wrestlers first (Lesnar and Ken Shamrock).

We’d heard his name bandied about in the company of UFC guys thinking about WWE as a future destination for years. I don’t know that he’s directly spoken to WWE, but he was talking to people in the pro wrestling business this weekend about the idea.

In recent years, people associated with Chael Sonnen, Shayna Baszler, Roy Nelson and Frank Mir have also tried to open up talks or we’ve heard very vague ideas suggested for Baszler at one point. In the case of Nelson and Mir, neither seemed to get anywhere.

WWE and Vince McMahon in particular, are leery about using former MMA fighters, particularly big stars, since they are used to huge payoffs and he doesn’t think they’d survive the schedule. Some of this comes from McMahon’s failed negotiations with Bob Sapp, who he wanted badly, but the negotiations never got past a certain point due to money and schedule. Plus, McMahon knows virtually nothing about the modern UFC scene.

With Evans, like Sonnen, age is also an issue. Sonnen’s name is the only one with some smoke, in the sense there are people who throw ideas regarding him out there although the impression we’ve got is any interest would more be as an announcer, and that would likely not happen now because of the controversy associated with his name. WWE doesn’t like the idea of signing novices who are in their mid-30s from other sports with the idea they come in with their bodies beaten up, and by the time they are trained, they may not have much time left.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Lol he reminds me of Shelton Benjamin. He should come out of retirement and fight each other. Benjamin is a highly accomplished amateur wrestler in case you didn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Lol he reminds me of Shelton Benjamin. He should come out of retirement and fight each other. Benjamin is a highly accomplished amateur wrestler in case you didn't know.
    Shelton isn't retired, he wrestles predominantly in Japan.

I have no interest in seeing Evans, Sonnen, Mir or Nelson in WWE. It takes a lot more than just being able to legit fight to make it in sports entertainment and even Sonnen's act would get shown up for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by LordCC View Post
    Shelton isn't retired, he wrestles predominantly in Japan.

I have no interest in seeing Evans, Sonnen, Mir or Nelson in WWE. It takes a lot more than just being able to legit fight to make it in sports entertainment and even Sonnen's act would get shown up for what it is.
    My bad, I have really become out of touch with pro wrestling and even amateur wrestling which I used to be a die hard. I was kidding though I don't want to see any MMA guys in the WWE and vice versa. Brock was so entertaining and successful in MMA that he is the exception in my mind.
    Last edited by IceCold48; 07-10-2014 at 04:52 PM.

The difference is Lesnar started out in pro wrestling. He paid his dues, spent 300+ days a year on the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    The difference is Lesnar started out in pro wrestling. He paid his dues, spent 300+ days a year on the road.
    Agree but I was always interested in watching Brock fight but never guys like Bobby Lashley or Dave Bautista.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Agree but I was always interested in watching Brock fight but never guys like Bobby Lashley or Dave Bautista.
    I don't think Bautista ever fought? I know he was training with the Gracies and was rumored for a fight or two, but I don't think it ever happened.

Bobby did all right. But he was never the star in either sport that Lesnar was/is.

If Rashad really wants to be a professional wrestler, go to Japan.

I don't think Bautista ever fought? I know he was training with the Gracies and was rumored for a fight or two, but I don't think it ever happened.

Bobby did all right. But he was never the star in either sport that Lesnar was/is.

If Rashad really wants to be a professional wrestler, go to Japan.
    Yeah he did fight it was pretty awful

Wow I forgot all about that. I'd trash it, but who the fuck am I to talk shit about his fight?

He's had a cage fight, while I'm sitting my ass in front of a computer drinking terrible coffee.

Wow I forgot all about that. I'd trash it, but who the fuck am I to talk shit about his fight?

He's had a cage fight, while I'm sitting my ass in front of a computer drinking terrible coffee.
    Very true. It wasn't the most enjoyable to watch though haha.

Thread Information