Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chris Weidman keeps it short and sweet: I want Vitor Belfort

Default Chris Weidman keeps it short and sweet: I want Vitor Belfort

Chris Weidman keeps it short and sweet: I want Vitor Belfort
    http://www.mmamania.com/2014/7/14/58...or-belfort-mma
    Weidman revealed during a recent interview on The MMA Hour that prior to his showdown against "The Dragon," he was dealing with injuries he felt were going to force him to bow out.

He explains:

"I went through a two-day period where I was very nervous and it was really messing with my head, where I felt I was going to have to pull out of the fight because I couldn't touch my thumbs or my fingers together. I couldn't grab anything. I couldn't squeeze a toothbrush, I couldn't brush my teeth. I could do it with my right hand, but not my left. So you start wondering, 'how I'm going to fight if I can't do these little things?' I was kind of scaring the crap out of myself. I went to the doctor's office and I got an X-ray and I was really hoping it wasn't broken. It wasn't broken so they did an MRI. So all day long I was waiting for results on that. I was really pissed off and depressed. How was I going to deal with is? It was a bad situation. Since it's not broken, I'm not going to pull out, but how am I going to train these next two weeks if I can't even touch my fingers together and I can't punch? We come to find that it's ligaments that were messed up, sprained. I got a cortisone injection which they told me it wouldn't help much because it wasn't inflammation. It really didn't help. But in a couple of days I was able to grapple, but I didn't punch for two and a half weeks leading up to the fight. So I wasn't going to pull out, if I was going to go through pain, I'd rather it be in the fight and figure it out from there."

When asked if his issues affected his performance in the title fight, Weidman was quick to dismiss that notion, giving all the credit to Machida for being a tough opponent. He also admits that he underestimated how bad Lyoto "wanted it" and just how much "championship heart" he possessed.

His words:

"No, no, no. I can say that I had the worst camp of my life, but I fought well and I went out there and I did my thing. The camp wasn't the best. I just think Lyoto Machida is that good. I think I performed good, but no, it don't think it affected my fight at all."

As far as what's next for him, Weidman says he isn't too sure, but made no secret that he want's to fight Vitor Belfort next. Which is why he hopes "The Phenom" gets all of his drug test issues in order. As far as additional drug testing for the Brazilian, Weidman says he won't "demand" it, but he would kindly "recommend" it.

"I do want to fight Vitor Belfort. He's the guy who's been floating around the top for awhile now. He's another legend. I've kind of grew to enjoy fighting legends that I got into the sport watching and admiring. Obviously he has his drug test issue going on. I hope somehow he can figure it out and we can get him licensed and, I really don't know how that's working. But that's the guy I do want to fight."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

This guy has seemed to have his head on his shoulders. The best "posterboy" the UFC has I think - better representative than Rousey, Silva, Jones, etc for the professional attitude.

much RESPECT for Chris Weidman. You are a class act sir, well spoken, like a true Champion.

on a side note: What the fuck is up with the guest comments that are totally off topic? get that shit out of here fellas take it to where it belongs.
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

I want this fight as much as I want to see Shogun and Gegard.

but, should the fight be here on in Brazil?

Chris is the champ, but Vitor fighting out of Brazil is likely not to happen.

The more Weidman talks, the more I like him. He comes across well in each interview I read/watch/hear.

I'd want to see him fight Vitor eventually. I think he wins that fight 7 out of 10 times.

Belfort demands the fight take place in Brazil in 3....2.....1.....
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Quote Originally Posted by Trodden View Post
    I want this fight as much as I want to see Shogun and Gegard.

but, should the fight be here on in Brazil?

Chris is the champ, but Vitor fighting out of Brazil is likely not to happen.
    I wouldn't want the fight in Brazil. I feel you fight the champ in his home country. Plus for some reason I have a feeling sketchy things would happen in Brazil.

I don't think Vitor deserves a fight with the champ. It's a double-edged sword, because the controversy makes it a big money fight for Weidman, but the risk of the fight failing to come off is high as well.

If I were zuffa, I'd book a rematch between Vitor and Rockhold to bolster an average card ASAP, as a test to see if licensing is going to be a concern or not, and to see what kind of Vitor is going to show up, if at all. If Belfort gets licensed and shows up looking closer to 2014 Vitor than 2007--and manages to beat Rockhold again, sure, book the championship. If not, Rockhold's star is going to get that much brighter by beating Belfort, and thus sell PPVs.

And if the fight falls flat for whatever reason, it's not yet another high profile championship fight that gets tarnished by PED use.

In a pinch, I'd book Weidman to defend against the winner of Jacare/Mousasi.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I don't believe anyone needing to clear up drug testing issues and is a big question mark as to whether they can get licensed should ever be getting a title fight. I don't recall the NFL crossing their fingers prior to the Super Bowl while they waited to see if Wilson or Manning could test clean. The NBA didn't seem to be worried about Lebron or Duncan either.
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

10. Default

The best solution to this would be to book the Vitor fight, but have a backup sitting in the wings for any issues with Vitor's liscencing. Im sure there's a MW willing to start a camp "just in case"

Thread Information