Thread: “Thor” Will Be A Woman In A New Marvel Comics Series

Default “Thor” Will Be A Woman In A New Marvel Comics Series

Marvel Entertainment announced on Tuesday that Thor will be re-launched in the comics with a woman as the title hero.

As first revealed on The View, the character will be separate from the man who had been Thor — a title which, in the Marvel Universe, is designated by whomever proves worthy to hold Thor’s hammer, Mjölnir.

“This is not She-Thor,” said series writer Jason Aaron in a statement. “This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is Thor. This is the Thor of the Marvel Universe.” Aaron, who has also written for the Marvel Comics title Thor: God of Thunder, is working with artist Russell Dauterman (Cyclops) on the series, which will launch in October.
    Marvel Comics editor Wil Moss also emphasized that the new Thor “is not a temporary female substitute — she is now the one and only Thor.”

The decision by Marvel to recast one of its most iconic characters as a woman could prove controversial with some fans, similar to the protest of Marvel’s decision in 2011 to recast Spider-Man in the comics as a half-black, half-Hispanic teenager named Miles Morales.

But it is also a noteworthy expansion of Marvel’s comic book canon to include another female hero, a fact Marvel trumpeted in their release — and likely why the decision was first announced on The View. This will be only Marvel’s eighth female lead character, a group which also includes such notable characters as Captain Marvel, Black Widow, Elektra, and She-Hulk.

The decision, meanwhile, is unlikely to affect the Marvel Studios movies in the near future, which have featured Chris Hemsworth as Thor. (A rep for the studio did not immediately return a request for comment.)

for any of you comic book guys...thoughts?

Thorita is the greatest name ever!

They could have Rosie Perez play her

I thought it was stupid when they went to the bearded Thor, and the alien Thor, and I think it's stupid now.

I'm not a fan of reboots.

But this is still better than that Constantine shite they're churning out since Hellblazer closed at #300.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

It's silly.

Norse Mythology looks very favorably upon goddesses and bestows them great powers.

There's no reason to change the whole mythos when there are equally great characters to utilize.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

that's fucking dumb. Thor= Hemsworth, period.

this is a travesty
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

It's just comics as usual. I'm willing to bet that we'll have the usual Thor back within a year.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I thought it was stupid when they went to the bearded Thor, and the alien Thor, and I think it's stupid now.

I'm not a fan of reboots.

But this is still better than that Constantine shite they're churning out since Hellblazer closed at #300.

rh
    Eh, the New 52 Constantine doesn't bother me that much, but yes, the original run is better.

Just worried about the TV series since he, apparently, won't be smoking. That's like Capt. America without his shield!

Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    It's just comics as usual. I'm willing to bet that we'll have the usual Thor back within a year.
    Exactly just a gimmick to boost sales and interest for a bit.

Same as all the other stuff they've been doing of late

Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    Eh, the New 52 Constantine doesn't bother me that much, but yes, the original run is better.

Just worried about the TV series since he, apparently, won't be smoking. That's like Capt. America without his shield!
    Yea, if his shield slowly killed him haha
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Yea, if his shield slowly killed him haha
    True, but it does lead to the best story arc in the Hellblazer series, before Ennis started writing comics merely for shock value.

Thread Information