Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bj penns record

Default bj penns record

Righto guys bit of a disclaimer we all know im a bj nuthugger so lets just get that outta the way now..

IMO bj has had ALOT of fights go bad for him when it comes to judges dec or just pure bad luck lets run through them..

Bj Penn v Caol Uno 2
    Haven't watchee this fight in a long time, but the last time i did watch it was with a group of mates and i remember everyone of them saying there is noway that fight was a draw, i think from memory i gave uno one round i think it was the fourth...

Bj Penn v Gsp 1
    One of the most disputed fights ever i think bj did enough to win as do alot if people but alot of people disagree i had bj winning the first and second from memory with gsp out wrestling bj in the third

Bj Penn v Matt Hughes 2
    A fight that bj was dominating the whole first round came out in the second looking like someone stole half his lungs, was later revealed he had suffered a severe rib/cartlidge injury, now injurys happen its part of the sport its part of all sports but if not for that injury i believe bj would be 3-0 against hughes

Bj penn v Frankie Edgar 1
    This fight is the most definate for me as ive seen it recently and when i watched it live on PPV i was dumbfounded at the decision bj won at bare minimum 3 rounds of that fight i believe 4 i felt this decision was a robbery.

Bj Penn v Jon Fitch
    Was there live, was pumped to see my sporting idol fight live bj actually cam out with a game plan successfully implemented that gane plan for 2 rounds gassed and got a pounding inbthe third this whole fight hinders on wether you think the third round justified a 10-8 for fitch i dont think it did.

Now if these fights had of went differently and had went in Bj's favour his record would be 21-7

My question to you is if that was bj record and those fight did go that way would you and alot of the MMA world hold bj higher in terms of the GOAT discussion.

I know its alot of what ifs but i think it in interesting discussion and that why we all come here right?

Mmanews survival pool season 1 Champion

His record sucks, but BJ, Fedor, and Wanderlei will always be my favs.

thank god this isnt spam.

I think BJ's problem, besides under or over training, is he tried to fight in multiple weight classes. True he held a belt in more than one, but had there been a 145 lb class when he started, and he had Dolce and Greg Jackson from the get go, he would have hardly ever lost.

I was a big BJ fan (still a fan), and loved seeing him beat Huges, but he should have stopped a while ago.

I've always felt that stats were a lazy mans argument. People use it as a technicality, but at times it does not tell the whole story. In basketball, everyone always looks at the numbers to see how well they think someone played although there is so much more going that someone can do to help their team win.

Fedor's record is awesome, but what sold me on him was how he beat the two best heavyweights in the world at that time at their own game. He beat Mirko on their feet, and destroyed Minotauro on the ground.

BJs record doesn't mean anything to me. What matters to me is that he actually would fight anyone at any time at any weight. And from what I know, (I could be wrong) BJ has never pulled out of a fight from injury. Not like that fighters do now to protect their records. I like to watch him fight, and those are the ppvs I try to support and pay for.

the first gsp fight, the first frankie fight and the fitch fight all come to mind as victories that are losses on record. but also looking at his record you see names like lyoto machida (split decision loss), matt hughes (went 2-1), and rory mammoth macdonald. these are all opponents no lightweight (or featherweight) would even consider, yet the prodigy went in head first. and that is why bj pen will forever be my favorite fighter.

several years ago when hendo ko'd fedor, someone on here posted about how one day everyone's favorite fighter fights their last match and although i can't remember who said it, that always stuck with me. several times i thought i was seeing my favorite's last fight, but now it's 100% reality and i'm still kinda torn. on one hand, i'm proud of his legacy (all the wins and losses), but on the (more selfish) hand, wasn't ready for it.

I think that regardless of the record, BJ will be remembered as a great fighter... actually the best fighter... to jump out of a pool!
    Just for kicks I checked the victory margin for some of my fav fighters, to compare to BJs record... and the one fighter whose record is very similar (in % victory rate) is also one that jumped all over the weight classes, or just didn't stick to fighting on one or two, and that would be Sakuraba...
    Per Sherdog's records, BJ's rate is 57.1%, 16 wins in 28 bouts, and Saku's is 26 wins in 45 matches, for 57.8% victory rate...
    Other than Fedor and Anderson, the fighters with the greater victory rates were Josh Barnett and Bas Rutten...

Meh. I still think he lost both the first gsp and first edgar fights, and he got absolutely dominated in the third round of the fitch fight so I have no problem with the 10/8 round and the draw.

To me, BJ will always be a talented fighter, who when on point looks unstoppable (just like everyone else) and had some decent wins, but more often than not, he underperformed in big fights and rarely game planned or fought intelligently.

BJ fans can flame me or neg me if you want, but its true and its obvious from his record. To me, there isnt one disputable loss on his record. Close fights sure, but nothing that I'd call robbery.

I agree.

BJ(s) for life. He never feared anyone.

Never been a fan of BJs personality but I will give him credit for not backing down from a fight and fighting much larger guys (although was part of this due to laziness with regards to cutting weight?).

Did GSP get poked in the eye in the first fight with BJ or with Koshcheck? Can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    Never been a fan of BJs personality but I will give him credit for not backing down from a fight and fighting much larger guys (although was part of this due to laziness with regards to cutting weight?).

Did GSP get poked in the eye in the first fight with BJ or with Koshcheck? Can't remember.
    BJ and Jake both gave him eye pokes, GSP broke Koshchecks orbital bone which was sweet!

Thread Information