Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bj penns record

Quote Originally Posted by The Muss View Post
    Righto guys bit of a disclaimer we all know im a bj nuthugger so lets just get that outta the way now..

IMO bj has had ALOT of fights go bad for him when it comes to judges dec or just pure bad luck lets run through them..
    BJ made a lot of bad career choices which have hurt his record more then anything else.. Jumping to WW to fight GSP a second time as well as Rory (especially after the Diaz loss he should have known better). Abandoning lightweight after losing to Frankie when there was still lots of fights left for him there. Coming back to fight Edgar at a weight class that suited Frankie way more then BJ.

Bj Penn v Gsp 1
    One of the most disputed fights ever i think bj did enough to win as do alot if people but alot of people disagree i had bj winning the first and second from memory with gsp out wrestling bj in the third
    I think the fans in general were split on this one it depends on which school you subscribe to in how a fighter wins damage or control. Not nearly as disputed as say Machida/Shogun

Bj Penn v Matt Hughes 2
    A fight that bj was dominating the whole first round came out in the second looking like someone stole half his lungs, was later revealed he had suffered a severe rib/cartlidge injury, now injurys happen its part of the sport its part of all sports but if not for that injury i believe bj would be 3-0 against hughes
    Every fighter can pretty much cite some injury when walking into the ring. Cardio again not a BJ strong suit

Bj penn v Frankie Edgar 1
    This fight is the most definate for me as ive seen it recently and when i watched it live on PPV i was dumbfounded at the decision bj won at bare minimum 3 rounds of that fight i believe 4 i felt this decision was a robbery.
    I didn't see it as a robbery just a very close fight where neither guy established themselves dominantly and BJ didn;t exactly wow any body with his performance

Bj Penn v Jon Fitch
    Was there live, was pumped to see my sporting idol fight live bj actually cam out with a game plan successfully implemented that gane plan for 2 rounds gassed and got a pounding inbthe third this whole fight hinders on wether you think the third round justified a 10-8 for fitch i dont think it did.
    For me it's debatable on the 10-8 round probably not but BJ was dominated that round. I also think BJ is very lucky they hadn't introduced the 5 round main event fights at that point

My question to you is if that was bj record and those fight did go that way would you and alot of the MMA world hold bj higher in terms of the GOAT discussion.

I know its alot of what ifs but i think it in interesting discussion and that why we all come here right?
    BJ is an extremely talented guy but if things don;t always go his way he gets broken mentally and mixed in with bad cardio that hurts his place in the GOAT discussion

I'm also aware that had he not drawn the coal uno fight he probably never fights for WW title...

Mmanews survival pool season 1 Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    BJ and Jake both gave him eye pokes, GSP broke Koshchecks orbital bone which was sweet!
    I meant the first Koshcheck fight, was there an eye poke in that one as well.

I think Penn made a lot of questionable choices in his career, but they were generally because he wanted to test himself. I don't have his record in front of me, but if you look at his fights with guys that are actually his size, he's something like 14-3-1. Not GOAT worthy, but certainly respectable.

BJ was 10 years early for MMA. If you had a guy of his talent coming in today, with advancements in coaching, nutrition, training...he could have had a very different career.

But it is what it is...his record stands for itself, his choices stand for themselves; and I appreciate what he's always brought to the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    Did GSP get poked in the eye in the first fight with BJ or with Koshcheck? Can't remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    BJ and Jake both gave him eye pokes, GSP broke Koshchecks orbital bone which was sweet!
    No. Penn did not poke Georges' eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Every fighter can pretty much cite some injury when walking into the ring. Cardio again not a BJ strong suit
    Ugh. Not even close on this one. Penn wasn't injured walking into the ring, and it had absolutely nothing to do with cardio. He separated cartilage from his ribs in the second round as he was going for a submission. It was an in-the-cage injury, and had nothing to do with preparation or conditioning. Props to Hughes on weathering the storm and pulling out what I still feel is the best win of his career.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I just watche penn vs edgar 3 (was on vacation.) Man that was tough as shit to watch. Can't worry about what ifs. Man was a two division champ who fought the best and always challenged himself. Guy jumped into the deep end from the very start. His record could be 10 wins better if he fought in regional promotions. All the losses were to good/great guys and like you said some were close/controversial.

6. Default

I'm a fan of BJ Penn's fighting spirit which I believe impacted his legacy both positively and negatively. I'm not a fan of some of BJ's more crazed fans as they tend to let their fandom interfer with rational thought.

So out of respect to the Penn fans, I'll leave it at that.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

I think that the 3 fights that highlight BJ as one of the best, were the first Matt Hughes fight, at that time, he was unstoppable, then, he did the same with Gomi, another guy that was a real beast at the moment, and you can't leave out the Diego fight, just for the blood soaked gloves afterwards...
    Should he be included in the GOAT discussion?... absolutely not... at this point in time there are many others with greater records that should be mentioned ahead of him.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Ugh. Not even close on this one. Penn wasn't injured walking into the ring, and it had absolutely nothing to do with cardio. He separated cartilage from his ribs in the second round as he was going for a submission. It was an in-the-cage injury, and had nothing to do with preparation or conditioning. Props to Hughes on weathering the storm and pulling out what I still feel is the best win of his career.

rh
    My point wasn't a matter of when the injury happened it was a matter of lots of fighters are hurt during and before the match. In this case Hughes weathered the storm assuming BJ beats him without the injury is a bit short sighted was my point we don't know this. I just didn't think BJ's injury should be used to discredit Hughes win.

Thanks for the discussion guys i made this thread not only because its been something ive been thinking over and over again in my head since bj retirement but also because yesterday was the first day of my three week holiday because im having another daughter so my fiance was having a c- section yesterday and because it was planned there was alot of sitting around waiting going on so i finally had time to sit down and write something, anyways we had a beautiful little girl healthy and named her Anabella..

Again thanks for the discussion and as always war bj :-)

Mmanews survival pool season 1 Champion

Congrats man! enjoy your sleepless nights...

Thread Information