Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weidman won't entertain Johny Hendricks super fight, Jon Jones on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I want to see him face Jacare and Rockhold, minimally. I'm still not sold on Vitor deserving a title shot, but I'm not 100% against it.

I'm glad he's not looking for a diva fight against Hendricks...but it's not like there would be any real money in that, regardless. I've been a huge critic of Anderson for wasting so much effort on trying to make a Georges fight happen, but Hendricks isn't on Georges level, not in terms of skill or drawing power.

rh
    Weidman knows that he would absolutely destroy Hendricks so I think he doesn't want to waste his time and legacy facing him.

Any suggestion of a superfight with Hendricks is ridiculous. As Chris said, the guy hasn't even defended his belt yet. Who brought up the possibility of that fight in the 1st place? Please don't tell me Hendricks..........

Quote Originally Posted by dan the man 67 View Post
    Please don't tell me Hendricks..........

^ 5.40 mark

UFC’s Johny Hendricks Targeting Chris Weidman? 'Bigg Rigg' Says He’s Up for the Challenge

While it's not likely UFC welterweight contender Johny Hendricks is looking past his title fight with Robbie Lawler, he's still allowed to set goals, right?

Hendricks is slated to fight Lawler at UFC 171 on March 15 in Dallas for the vacated 170-pound title, but in a light-hearted interview with Ariel Helwani, "Bigg Rigg" was presented with another potential matchup down the road.

One with UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman.

"It would [be interesting], wouldn't it?" Hendricks said. "We're both wrestlers, both strong people. And if I get six months to really lift weights -- and my body just loves weights -- I know I can change myself to where 185 [pounds] would be not a hard weight cut, but a lot easier than making 170."

Hendricks and Weidman are both NCAA All-American wrestlers that can pack a heavy punch, just ask Georges St-Pierre and Anderson Silva.

But standing 5 feet, 9 inches tall, Hendricks may have trouble with Weidman's size (6-foot-2) and reach (78 inches). That doesn't concern the 30-year-old former NCAA national champion from Oklahoma State University. In fact, an eventual run at the 185-pound title is one of his goals, the welterweight said.

"Yeah, that would be great, wouldn't it?" said Hendricks, who typically cuts down from 220 pounds and has a 71-inch reach. "Here's the thing -- what do I fight now? Everybody's 6-foot, 6-foot-2. There's no height difference between 185 and 170. Everybody's a giant."

However, before a matchup between two of the UFC's newest stars could be arranged, Hendricks (15-2-0, eight KO/TKOs) has to get past Lawler (22-9-0, 18 KO/TKOs) in what promises to be a go-for-broke title fight in Texas.

"Bigg Rigg" is coming off a controversial loss to St-Pierre at UFC 167, a fight which many people scored in Hendricks' favor. Shortly thereafter, St-Pierre announced he was stepping away from mixed martial arts for an indefinite period of time, vacating the belt and setting the stage for the bout between Hendricks and Lawler.

It's a welcomed second chance for Hendricks, who faces a dangerous matchup with "Ruthless." Given Lawler's one-punch knockout power, a Hendricks victory is far from a foregone conclusion, which means he shouldn't look past the savvy veteran.

If Hendricks defeats Lawler, there's still a lot standing in the way of a potential fight with Weidman, namely, the rest of the welterweight field. He'd likely need to clear out the division before such a fight would even be entertained. That's a tall order considering competition like Carlos Condit, Rory MacDonald, and Jake Ellenberger, among many others, is waiting in the wings.

The same is true for Weidman (11-0-0, five KO/TKOs), who will have his hands full with Vitor Belfort in their yet-to-be-set matchup later this year. Plus, guys like Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza and Lyoto Machida are eyeing their shot at "The All-American" as well.

A Hendricks-Weidman matchup is definitely intriguing but nowhere near happening, something "Bigg Rigg" acknowledges, too.

First things first: The welterweight belt.

"I want to win [the title], defend it, do whatever the UFC wants me to do," Hendricks said. "Hopefully I can get it, defend it a couples times, and say, 'Hey, can I move up to 185?'"

Two belts?

Hey, you never know.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ufc-joh...0591--mma.html

Unregistered Guest

Default Grand Moff Tarkin

Weidman vs Bear Grylls in jungle death match! Boom! Best jungle death match since Arnold (Dutch) vs Predator

I want to see Rashad drop to MW; Weidman vs. Evans would be a hell of a fight, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by 0mega1 View Post
    I want to see Rashad drop to MW; Weidman vs. Evans would be a hell of a fight, IMO.
    That would be a fun fight. Rashad poses so many challenges with his speed and blending of wrestling and striking. In the end, I think Weidman KOs him, but it's a fun fight.

Hendricks has yet to defend his title, I do not want to even hear about him taking on Weidman. Weidman has yet to clear out his division but he was at least asked about it.

Those who do not appreciate life, do not deserve life.

Hendricks isn't even the best WW and eeeks out half his fights, he'd get DESTROYED at MW and not even fighting Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    Hendricks isn't even the best WW and eeeks out half his fights, he'd get DESTROYED at MW and not even fighting Chris.
    You are right about MW, but he is the best WW. A win is a win. He beat Robbie with just about the worst strategy he could have possibly used.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    You are right about MW, but he is the best WW. A win is a win. He beat Robbie with just about the worst strategy he could have possibly used.
    Completely agreed. He's been in close fights, but none are truly "gift" decisions.

I'm interested to see him return from surgery. To me, ability to gameplan and adapt is a key part of dominating as a champ. Very curious to see what he looks like if he fights Robby again.

Thread Information