Thread: Nick Newell: Illegal blows changed fight, rematch warranted

Default Nick Newell: Illegal blows changed fight, rematch warranted

Nick Newell: Illegal blows changed fight, rematch warranted
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...tch-warranted/
    Nick Newell, 28, lost for the first time in a fight against World Series of Fighting lightweight champion Justin Gaethje on July 5. Late in the first round, Newell was hit with illegal knees to the face on the ground, and thereafter was a markedly different fighter. He lost by RSC (strikes) at 3:09 of the second round.

Newell spoke with WSoF-Champ-Gaethje-70611" target="_blank">Sherdog's C.J. Tuttle, and said - emphatically - that a rematch is warranted, because he was so clearly hit with illegal blows.

ďItís not something that is up for debate,Ē said Newell. ďItís very blatant that the knees hit me in the head. I wasnít the same. Itís obvious when you watch the video that itís what cut me. Itís obvious that, when I got up, I was wobbly, and they need to closely monitor who they hire as referees, and they need to have stricter standards."

ďIím not saying that I would have won had it not happened. I respect Justin. Heís a great fighter, but I was winning the fight up until it did happen, and it happened, and it changed the fight. Thereís no ifs, ands, or buts about it. It was a huge momentum swing. It went from me winning, to me just getting destroyed. I donít even remember the fight after the knee. I donít remember anything my corner said to me or anything.Ē

ďWe arenít playing horseshoes over here. Itís a violent sport, and itís a refereeís responsibility to catch something illegal that could hurt someone. It cost me half my paycheck and it cost me a world title."

ďI honestly think I deserve a rematch, but I am not going to be bitter about."

ďI usually watch where I hit. I am not saying Justinís a dirty fighter or trying to throw his name in the mud or anything like that. I am just saying he got reckless, hit me with illegal blows and it changed the fight. It went from being someone clearly winning to someone else clearly winning after the knees. I feel like I deserve another chance because the first one wasnít fair.Ē
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Wow, I watched this fight and either forgot about this or thought the knee hit him in the chest. I need to watch the fight again, b/c I remember it being competitive but I don't recall Nick winning up to that point. I like Nick and think he is a hell of a fighter, but I think Justin has the wrestling to neutralize Newell and the striking to exploit him. Nick is dangerous on the ground. If he gets your neck or leg you are screwed. Even with the knee I think he needs a few wins to challenge again.

Justin won that fight.
    The thing I was surprised about most was how bad Justin actually looked compared to all his other fights where he mostly steamrolls over his opponents.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

nick looked good to start - but like MIZ said i wouldnt say he was 'winning the fight' per say. I remember the second knee hitting and thinking - wow that was close to the head, and if i remember correctly even Bas said something like "oh....justin's going to have to watch those knees." or something to that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    Wow, I watched this fight and either forgot about this or thought the knee hit him in the chest. I need to watch the fight again, b/c I remember it being competitive but I don't recall Nick winning up to that point. I like Nick and think he is a hell of a fighter, but I think Justin has the wrestling to neutralize Newell and the striking to exploit him. Nick is dangerous on the ground. If he gets your neck or leg you are screwed. Even with the knee I think he needs a few wins to challenge again.
    Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    nick looked good to start - but like MIZ said i wouldnt say he was 'winning the fight' per say. I remember the second knee hitting and thinking - wow that was close to the head, and if i remember correctly even Bas said something like "oh....justin's going to have to watch those knees." or something to that effect.
    Nick was doing 'good' up until around the time of the knees. Nick had tagged Justin with a few good shots but Justin was gaining momentum as Nick was gassing. I thought the knees landed and were illegal, I also remember Bas commenting on it. The ref should have given a warning or point but either way. Nick wouldn't have won that fight, in my opinion.

“It’s not something that is up for debate,” said Newell. “It’s very blatant that the knees hit me in the head. I wasn’t the same. It’s obvious when you watch the video that it’s what cut me. It’s obvious that, when I got up, I was wobbly, and they need to closely monitor who they hire as referees, and they need to have stricter standards."
    Bullshit. It's hard to see if it even actually did hit his head, or just hit his chest. They played the video on Inside MMA, and even paused it at the moment of impact, and it was still hard to see exactly. Regardless, if anything, it hit his chin. While still illegal, no where near his eyebrow or the top of his head. So no, that isn't what cut him. What cut him was getting his face smashed in, from fighting a better all around fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Bullshit. It's hard to see if it even actually did hit his head, or just hit his chest. They played the video on Inside MMA, and even paused it at the moment of impact, and it was still hard to see exactly. Regardless, if anything, it hit his chin. While still illegal, no where near his eyebrow or the top of his head. So no, that isn't what cut him. What cut him was getting his face smashed in, from fighting a better all around fighter.
    If I remember correctly, he was eating a lot of elbows which he couldn't block due to his left arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    If I remember correctly, he was eating a lot of elbows which he couldn't block due to his left arm.
    Exactly, which makes it ridiculous for him to say "It’s obvious when you watch the video that it’s what cut me."; alleging it was from an illegal knee. The kid's ego is too big for his own good (like refusing to defend his XFC title against anyone other than ex-UFC fighters), and just can't handle that he lost his first fight. He'd get destroyed by damn near anyone in the UFC, but believes he'd deserve a title shot.

Thread Information