Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dana White defends Donald Cerrone from Nate Diaz taunts

1. Default

As a fan of mma Nate is doing nothing for me Cowboy is. If Nate didn't like the contract of a tough winner why didn't he do what Vera did refuse to do the house. Wasn't Nate already in the UFC before the house?

Say what you will about Cerrone, but he comes to fight and he does it often. Was hard to see him wax Miller (one of my favorites) like that, but hats off to the guy. He definitely brings it.

Quote Originally Posted by lwbrewer View Post
    As a fan of mma Nate is doing nothing for me Cowboy is. If Nate didn't like the contract of a tough winner why didn't he do what Vera did refuse to do the house. Wasn't Nate already in the UFC before the house?
    He's not on a TUF contract.

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    Say what you will about Cerrone, but he comes to fight and he does it often. Was hard to see him wax Miller (one of my favorites) like that, but hats off to the guy. He definitely brings it.
    I like watching him fight, I just don't really like his personality. Also let's not glorify the reason he's fighting so often, it's not purely because he has a warrior spirit and wants to test himself. It's because unlike Nate he can't AFFORD to sit out. The guy is a self confessed financial degen.

Quote Originally Posted by LordCC View Post
    He's not on a TUF contract.

I like watching him fight, I just don't really like his personality. Also let's not glorify the reason he's fighting so often, it's not purely because he has a warrior spirit and wants to test himself. It's because unlike Nate he can't AFFORD to sit out. The guy is a self confessed financial degen.
    I don't see in my post where I said he had the heart of a samurai, but I hear what you are saying.

Look regardless of why Cerrone fights I like the way HOW he fights, at least when he has his head on straight.
    Cerrone, like Bendo, for me is never in a boring fight and Cerrone is always looking to finish if he can.

Those who do not appreciate life, do not deserve life.

Quote Originally Posted by lwbrewer View Post
    From everything I've heard, Nate's new contract was heavily incentivized, meaning he took some risk: if he kept winning, he'd get x $$. If he lost, he'd get 15/15k. He gambled, he lost, and now he doesn't want to fight elite-level competition for that compensation. It's really a position that can't be defended.

I honestly think that the best way out for him is to fire that village idiot he has for a manager. Kogan negotiated the crap contract and got taken to school by zuffa--not to mention that he's never had any press for anything good; he's always making a bad thing [Nate calling someone a fag on twitter, for instance] much worse. I really think if he talks to dana and says "you'll never have to deal with Kogan again" he can fight some guys ranked 20-10 for the payscale he's at, conclude that contract and effectively press reset on his career.

I don't agree that he should be facing guys who are ranked anywhere between 6 and 3 for chump change, even if he's the genius who signed the contract. It doesn't make sense to pay someone who has done as much in the company that little to assume that level of risk. But he's backed into a corner and literally has no leverage.

I believe he has 4 or 5 fights left: If I were him, I'd talk to dana about firing Kogan and try to fight guys like Barboza, Dunham, Masvidal or Healy in rapid succession, work his way up to a Myles Jury fight.

But it starts by coming to the table and kissing dana's ring, which Nate isn't going to do. Sadly, the egos involved will prevent any of this from happening.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

MagnumPI'sMoustache Guest

Default To LordCC and Rivethead

Agreed. Diaz > Cerrone.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    whatever it says, I'm there next to you.

Diaz > Cerrone.

rh
    Me makes three.

I loved watching Diaz school Cerrone for 3 rounds.

Nate's contract is his own fault but come on...if your gonna ask him to fight Khabib for what he's getting paid, after going 1-2 in his last 3 (albeit against great competition), that's a lot of pressure and not really fair for what he makes imo.

Look at Cerrone's last 4 fights. Martins, Dunham, Barboza (pretty tough fight), and Miller. And he's getting branded into a supposed top contender fighting these guys or something? And guess how much he gets paid...57k to show, 57k to win. And here they want Nate to fight Khabib making much less than that. Barboza is actually a tough fight for Nate stylistically but he'd probably be favored to win and Nate would tool all of those other guys just as easily. I mean it's quite apparent that certain guys in similar positions are getting an easier road and I'd be unhappy as well.
    Last edited by dbader08; 07-18-2014 at 01:58 AM.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    whatever it says, I'm there next to you.

Diaz > Cerrone.

rh
    I have to disagree on this. I will pay to watch the Diaz brothers fight anyday. But they are stupid. Cowboy makes what he can when he can. And I think he is more exciting to watch than either Diaz brother. And for what its worth I would bet on Cowboy on a good night tooling Mate in a rematch.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cornute View Post
    Look regardless of why Cerrone fights I like the way HOW he fights, at least when he has his head on straight.
    Cerrone, like Bendo, for me is never in a boring fight and Cerrone is always looking to finish if he can.
    I agree with all of this, I enjoy Cerrone the fighter and he is usually in good fights. I never find myself rooting for him though and for some reason I would enjoy watching Nate shut him down again.

That being said I did enjoy reading this Leonard Garcia story about Donald a couple years back regardless of how factual it may be;

"Maybe a year and a half back or so, we went to this place. This girl was there, wearing a pink dress, and Cowboy says to her, 'Hey, what's up', and starts talking to her. Some dude comes out from nowhere, rips his shirt off, all muscled up, and screams, 'Are you talking to my girl?!' Cowboy was like, 'Man, shut up.'

From there, we just got in the truck. When we got around the corner, we could see that dude chasing the girl. We pulled up by her and Cowboy said, 'What's up girl?' The dude started screaming again, and basically went crazy, so Cowboy got down off the truck. He went up to the guy and just let the dude have it with a leg kick. Both that dude's legs came off the ground. It was a brutal kick. You could hear the thump. The noise he made ... he had to have used the restroom in his pants. It was like a screech, with a little bit of a burp, and something else [laughs]. Then he jumped up and took off at a full sprint.

He (Cowboy) never smashed on him or anything like that. He just leg kicked him and that was it. I was standing over by his buddy, who had pulled up in his car, and I asked him, 'What's up? You might want to stay in your car, because this is already over.' He told me, 'Oh, I already know who you are. I'm not trying to fight. I'm not stupid like my friend.' I shook his hand, and he waited for his buddy to get back to the car, and they left. That's about the closest thing to a street fight that I've had in a long time."

Thread Information