Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dana White Not Caving to Nate Diaz's Complaints: ‘Nate Can Sit Out for as Long as He

Default Dana White Not Caving to Nate Diaz's Complaints: ‘Nate Can Sit Out for as Long as He

For whatever reason, the Diaz brothers continue their freeze on working with the UFC in making anything happen with their fight careers. But not only are they not currently fighting, they occasionally take digs at the UFC and other fighters under contract.

Prime example: Nate Diaz on Tuesday took a shot at UFC Fight Night 45 headliner Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone on Twitter.

“Some people just suck way too much #UFCd**k …” wrote Diaz. “An they where cowboy hats.”

UFC president Dana White, as part of his weekly check-in on UFC.com on Tuesday, rebuffed Diaz’s comment about Cerrone, shrugging off the Stocktonian’s continued refusal to fight when asked even though he and his brother are still under contract.

“Nate can do whatever he wants to do. Nate can sit out and not suck any UFC whatever, for as long as he wants to. Who cares? He's a grown man,” said White.

“Sit out for as long as you want, sit out the rest of your career, it's your decision. But to start making fun of guys who actually like to fight, and guys who go out there and put on unbelievable fights and people love to see him? (Cowboy) steps up and does what he does. People love Cowboy Cerrone.”

Both Diaz brothers have been complaining for several months about the paydays afforded by their UFC contracts, sitting on the sidelines, while other fighters continue to move along in their stead.

It’s not a strategy that seems to be having much impact on White.

“Nate wants to talk about making money, but there's only one way to make money, and that's fighting,” he said.
    https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/dan...8112--mma.html

2. 07-16-2014, 09:34 PM

Nate Diaz UFC update: Manager Mike Kogan says 'right now, nobody's talking to anybody'
    http://www.mmamania.com/2014/8/3/596...ng-anybody-mma
    That's according to manager Mike Kogan, who called in to Submission Radio to shed some light on the chasm that separates fighter and promotion.

"No, right now nobody's talking to anybody. I mean, Dana made it very clear that Nate should be happy with what he has and he doesn't see any reason to even discuss it, he's not really as popular as I guess we believe he is, and that was that, we just kind of stopped there. So right now no, nobody's talking to anybody. Dana said Nate had the lowest rated fight in FOX history which is not true, that was Demetrious Johnson... I don't hold grudges, it's whatever. Dana probably holds grudges, he probably doesn't really like me very much but what can I do? Nothing I can do about it. This thing, it wasn't supposed to be played out in the media. I mean, we tried to have a private conversion a long time ago, and instead of having it, UFC started trashing Nate to media, saying he's turning down fights, and he's afraid, and this that and whatever, to which we responded. Now it's like Jerry Springer. If you're gonna be out there trashing my guy, then I'm gonna say something. I'm not just gonna be sitting back like 'oh yeah you know, we're so blessed to be breathing this air.' There are fighters out there, you know like 'Cowboy,' and he's all like 'well you know, they can just sit around and bitch all they want, I'll just keep fighting every two days and make all the money in the world.' Why would you want to do that If you can make the same amount of money fighting three times a year? I mean, do you really enjoy getting punched in the face that much? It's just like, I don't know, it doesn't make any sense."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

4. Default

don't care for either as you signed it Nate suck it up fight your contract win out if your that good and sign a new contract

I will never under contract disputes.

If you agree to fight for a certain amount , or play , for a certain length of time where is there a discussion to be had till the contract is up?

I hate this during football (pre-season) season and hate it even more for fighters. If you do not like your contract get passed at your manager and accountant's but not the promotion.

Kogan is such a dumbass. I hope Nate realizes his management is screwing over his MMA career, but it seems he doesnt care and is happy sitting on the sideline for now. I was shocked Nick came back and signed on for a fight before Nate, but I'm happy with that regardless.
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

Totally agree that Kogan is a jackass.

But I am sympathetic to fighters renegotiating during this particular evolution of the UFC. The trouble is that a lot of contracts were structured for a different world - PPV heavy, fewer cards, and bonuses that tied to that business model. As the UFC business model changed, I think a lot of guys saw the value of their contract decline. That's a place where I'm sympathetic to updating contracts.

If he fired Kogan and won a few fights I think Dana would work with him. Lawler fights every10 minutes, I think Nate could ask to fight more frequently as well to fulfill the contract. It needs o happen soon.
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    Totally agree that Kogan is a jackass.

But I am sympathetic to fighters renegotiating during this particular evolution of the UFC. The trouble is that a lot of contracts were structured for a different world - PPV heavy, fewer cards, and bonuses that tied to that business model. As the UFC business model changed, I think a lot of guys saw the value of their contract decline. That's a place where I'm sympathetic to updating contracts.
    He couldnt honestly just be straight up and talk to Dana, get a few fights done and be out of that contract. Dana White isnt the most unreasonable guy in the world, I'm pretty sure he would work with him if Nate went about it the right way and came at him correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by grambino View Post
    If he fired Kogan and won a few fights I think Dana would work with him. Lawler fights every10 minutes, I think Nate could ask to fight more frequently as well to fulfill the contract. It needs o happen soon.
    I think Nate should do the talking instead of Kogan. All he needs to do is honor a few fights and I'm sure his contract could easily be restructured. You got to perform to get paid and sitting on the sideline "pouting" taking the headstrong approach and being stubborn about it isnt really doing him any favors.
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

Lots of sports players just don't understand what a contract is...

11. Default

Nates management really put him in a bad spot with this new contract. I don't know how much Nate understands about his contract. He's been fighting awhile and this isn't his first contract but honestly I wonder how closely fighters follow their contract negotiations?

Nates manager ended up getting Nate a HUGE salary cut. I don't know if Nate knew that, or if it was based on the fact that Nate needed to win a couple and then would get a title shot, but the avenue of conversation for Nate to have isn't with the UFC and Dana White, but his management.

Thread Information