Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Floyd Mayweather: Ronda Rousey? I Don't Know Who He Is

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I'd have to say that her winning an ESPY for Female Athlete of the Year last night kind of makes an impact on the mainstream going forward.
    Sure, but that's well after the interview.

But I'm betting that if Kacy Catanzaro finishes Mt. Mount Midoriyama on Ninja Warrior, the average joe bagadonuts will know as much about her as they do about Ronda.

Edit: that's not disparaging either Rousey or Cantazaro's accomplishments...it's more of a comment on the nature of fame.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 07-17-2014 at 05:07 PM.
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Did somebody say doughnuts?
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

nope. You're imagining it.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Ughh, hate to defend a Dana White comment, but... He's promoting his star female's talents, which are very legit right now in her division. He paid her talents a nice compliment in saying that he thinks she'd beat Mayweather in a street fight or MMA fight (and at least admitted no way in boxing). I don't know maybe a judo, wrestling or jj match is more accurate but whatever. He promoted his fighter. He's comparing atheletes at the top of their game in vaguely similar combat sports. I don't know if Riv is being overly PC cause he hates Dana, but referring to a street fight (no rules) is simply saying it's a fight competition void of MMA rules and Boxing rules. Far from violence on women - domestic, rape, bar antics gone bad, robbery, etc.

Damnit, riv.

Don't you know how that can affect people? Guys have gone through 12 step programs and intensive rehab for what's in that picture you posted. It's not funny making fun of people's addictions.

Having flashbacks and shit. Oh the agony.

For the record, I think Ronda beats him in a JJ match, or a Judo match, and probably 9 out of 10 in an MMA match. I'm not ripping on her or her talent.

But maybe it's because I have a young daughter...the first thing that came to my mind when dana referred to a "fight" was the fact that Mayweather did "time" [if you can call 2 weeks of whining actual "time"] for beating the shit out of a woman. So, for me, the very idea of them "fighting" is in poor taste, and it doesn't do much to actually promote her as an individual. Couple that with the fact that I don't agree with his assumption that Floyd is lying--and make no mistake, I don't actually "hate" dana, but I do despise Mayweather--and that was where my response came from.

But it's probably the daughter thing, and I'll happily own that.

Quote Originally Posted by m1ckeykn0x View Post
    Damnit, riv.

Don't you know how that can affect people? Guys have gone through 12 step programs and intensive rehab for what's in that picture you posted. It's not funny making fun of people's addictions.

Having flashbacks and shit. Oh the agony.
    What picture?

There is no picture.

You'll see, that it is not the donut that would have steam come out of it if you broke it open, it is only yourself.

rh

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

But I'm betting that if Kacy Catanzaro finishes Mt. Mount Midoriyama on Ninja Warrior, the average joe bagadonuts will know as much about her as they do about Ronda.
    Michelle Waterson was on American Ninja Warrior and promptly went for a swim.

Sure, but that's well after the interview.
    Absolutely. My point was a bit of a shot not at whether or not Mayweather actually knows who she is but more of a statement that, as a fight promoter, he damn well better learn where the target demographics are and who the stars in those areas are. I honestly can't name you any legitimate female boxers anymore but Rousey and company are slowly infiltrating the mainstream.

Back on the REAL topic:

Did any of you see this EFFING thing?

Banana Kreme Pie donut......banana pudding inside with nilla wafers stuck to the frosting.
    Last edited by SimpleJack; 07-17-2014 at 05:34 PM.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Michelle Waterson was on American Ninja Warrior and promptly went for a swim.
    I saw that.

Genki didn't make it either. I was crushed.

Absolutely. My point was a bit of a shot not at whether or not Mayweather actually knows who she is but more of a statement that, as a fight promoter, he damn well better learn where the target demographics are and who the stars in those areas are. I honestly can't name you any legitimate female boxers anymore but Rousey and company are slowly infiltrating the mainstream.
    I think Ronda is more famous than any female boxers other than Laila Ali, who is retired.

But I don't think she's on the mainstream radar yet. That will be an interaction to watch.

rh

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I think it will be one of those hit and miss things.

People who know her will recognize her in bits/movies/events similar to Erin Andrews and her various spots like those God-awful probiotic commercials.

My wife always asks who the eff she is but people who watched the hell out of ESPN and such already know.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

You guys know what's one of the fastest way to be "heard of" in the sports world?

Having your name thrown in the same sentence as Floyd Mayweather. And that is exactly what DW did with Rousey. I don't think a reporter has asked Floyd about how a fight would go with an MMA fighter (at least that was public or made the news) for quite some time.

Then all of a sudden for the past year, DW and RR have been nonstop on what they would do to Floyd in a MMA/Street fight (of course leaving out boxing). They been nonstop regarding Cyborg too. To me it reeks of desperate "look at me" chants, knowing that fights with Floyd is and never will be a possibility, or even Cyborg for that matter.

To sum it all up:
    MMA/Street fight with Floyd - Ronda says she would win, knowing it will never happen
    BJJ match Gi/no-GI, open weight - Ronda claims she will beat anyone but probably never faces Gabi Garcia
    Striking - Ronda claims to be the best female striker but probably will never face in an actual MT fight
    and of course the constant calling out of Cyborg, which I doubt will ever materialize.

To add to RH and SJ banter, being part of 3 box office movies does put one in mainstream status. I don't know HOW RR was able to land roles in those movies *cough* UFC paying hollywood execs *cough*, considering she never had any experience prior to that. But it seems the UFC wants their version of the Rock, or at least make sure she accomplishes what Gina Carano has.
    Last edited by MMA4EVERRR; 07-17-2014 at 05:44 PM.

Thread Information