Thread: Pendred aims to put TUF 19 loss behind him

Default Pendred aims to put TUF 19 loss behind him

DUBLIN, Ireland — After a somewhat lacklustre season of The Ultimate Fighter culminated on July 6 with Eddie Gordon being crowned the middleweight winner, fight fans were left wondering: what if the judges had given pre-show favourite Cathal Pendred the split decision victory many felt he earned against Gordon in the semifinals. Would Pendred have won the show?

While many fighters would lament in the heartbreak that is a controversial decision, Pendred didn’t because the eternal optimist knew it could potentially lead to him making his UFC debut when the promotion returned to his home town of Dublin.

Pendred (13-2-1) a former rugby player and winner of the prestigious Leinster Senior Cup began his mixed martial arts journey when he was 19. When Pendred made the jump from rugby to MMA the addiction was instantaneous and he left behind a potentially promising and lucrative professional sporting career. Teammates from his Belvedere College days include Irish rugby team star Cian Healy, but for Pendred the lure of the cage was too captivating to resist. In a sport like rugby, you rely on teammates, but in MMA you’re solely responsible for your own success and failure.

Pendred eventually began training at SBG Ireland and like so many burgeoning athletes before him, Pendred found himself enamoured by the tutelage of coach John Kavanagh. He rapidly began dominating fighters on the regional circuit, earning the moniker of “The Punisher” because of the dominance he showcased on regular basis. When many think of Irish fighters they assume they’re strong point is striking as the nation has a storied history in boxing, but Pendred’s main skill is his relentless grappling game — more specifically his double-leg takedown, a skill influenced by his days in rugby.

As a professional, Pendred’s rapid ascent through the European circuit has been nothing short of amazing. His early outings were impressive, but he suffered a pair of disappointing losses to Ronan McKay and Lee Chadwick. However, through that adversity his winning mentality was forged. After winning the Cage Contender title, Pendred ventured into Europe’s premier martial arts organization when he joined Cage Warriors and it was with that promotion Pendred really came into his own.
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/mma/ufc/cath...at-ufc-dublin/
    “I just want to be known as the greatest ever…is that too much to ask?”

B.J Penn

https://www.facebook.com/roy.billington1
    https://twitter.com/RoyBillington

How does everybody think Cathal will do against King?
    “I just want to be known as the greatest ever…is that too much to ask?”

B.J Penn

https://www.facebook.com/roy.billington1
    https://twitter.com/RoyBillington

It should be a pretty sweet fight, as both of them had my win early on in the show.
    But I thought Cathal really dropped the ball later on in the show. Didn't seem as dominate and I thought he'd be.

But I hope he wins this fight against King. Need more Fighting Irish in the UFC!!!
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Well, like Gunnar and McGregor, I hope he destroys his opponent and leaves what's left for the crowd. Yep.

Who? I joke.. I think he wins, not sure if he dominates tho and for that matte, King could give him a run for his money.
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

sevicrane Guest

I dont see why the big hype with this guy he nearly got his ass beat in his first fight in the house

The new guy is right. What has this guy done besides get a bye onto the show, nearly lose, and then lose? What's with the interest?
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    The new guy is right. What has this guy done besides get a bye onto the show, nearly lose, and then lose? What's with the interest?
    He beat a drawn out Che Mills who missed weight. I guess that's a huge accomplishment. Prior to that, he was starting to look like a decision machine.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

having never seen any of his fights and only going from what i'd heard of him, i expected more from pendred. Then on the show when they were saying no one wanted to fight him so he got in on a bye...his first match really deflated my expectations and the second fight sure didnt help either

still have my reservations about him but he showed a lot of heart coming back and finishing the fight like that. King went out almost instantly it looked like

Thread Information