Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UFC's Holly Holm not rushing fight with Ronda Rousey

Default UFC's Holly Holm not rushing fight with Ronda Rousey

The UFC may have signed top MMA prospect and former boxing champion Holly Holm with hopes that she would provide a fresh challenge to bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey but, at least for now, Holm isn't intent on rushing into a title fight. According to a report from MMA Junkie, Holm would like to get a couple fights into her new five-fight contract with the UFC before taking on "Rowdy" Ronda Rousey.
    “I know I have a lot to learn, so I do want to have a couple fights before fighting Ronda,” Holm said, humbly.
    Make no mistake, however - Holm said she would take the fight with Rousey next if she had to. It's just that she'd rather improve herself before taking on the most dominant female fighter MMA has yet to see.
    “If you told me that’s what I had to do right now, I’d say fine, let’s grind it out and get to work," Holm explained.
    "I just feel like there are some more things I want to learn first.”
    https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mm...143724561.html

The diversity of her striking is going to give most female fighters absolute fits. She knows how, where and when to throw different strikes which is something that seems to be lacking in female fighting from my perspective.

She'll be a handful if she gets well acquainted with the ground game.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    The diversity of her striking is going to give most female fighters absolute fits. She knows how, where and when to throw different strikes which is something that seems to be lacking in female fighting from my perspective.

If Jackson/Winkeljohn haven't figured out how to improve Condit's tdd, it gives me little hope that they will do the same with Holm.

It would be more ideal for Holm to realize, one way or the other, Rousey will take her down. She should approach the fight the way Cerrone, Diaz Bros, Condit usually do, and that is fight with all the arsenal she has standing up, even if it leaves her susceptible to the takedown, and just work on her BJJ game if she is on the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    If Jackson/Winkeljohn haven't figured out how to improve Condit's tdd, it gives me little hope that they will do the same with Holm.

It would be more ideal for Holm to realize, one way or the other, Rousey will take her down. She should approach the fight the way Cerrone, Diaz Bros, Condit usually do, and that is fight with all the arsenal she has standing up, even if it leaves her susceptible to the takedown, and just work on her BJJ game if she is on the bottom.
    I don't know, I find it women are more easy to change what they have learned compared to men. Mind you this is from coaching basketball and volleyball but for some reason I always find guys are less open to making a change in their game. It all depends on how open the person is willing to be I guess. I know sounds like crap but this my experience from 10 years of coaching.

Wait......isn't that EXACTLY WTF Condit does???

I think that she's getting thrown regardless of how much she works on her TDD... however... she has to have good ground defense to get back up... easier said than done with Rousey's credentials...

thats a great point about her striking diversity, with all the talk of her boxing skills, shes finished something like 5 out of 7 fights using kicks. I understand its been against lesser competition but shes shown she has the ability

I think her length gives a lot of people problems, too.

Wait......isn't that EXACTLY WTF Condit does???
    I think Condit, much like Nick Diaz, never really bothered to worry too much about stopping the takedown, because they're so able on the ground. I wouldn't say his performance there is due to Jackson/Winkeljohn. Both of them, specifically, have been why I hate the scoring system in MMA that counts an undefended TD virtually the same as one that is defended.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I am glad Holm wants tune up fights to prepare her for Rousey. That to me is a sign of truly wanting to be a champion rather than wanting a pay day.

Those who do not appreciate life, do not deserve life.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I think her length gives a lot of people problems, too.

I think Condit, much like Nick Diaz, never really bothered to worry too much about stopping the takedown, because they're so able on the ground. I wouldn't say his performance there is due to Jackson/Winkeljohn. Both of them, specifically, have been why I hate the scoring system in MMA that counts an undefended TD virtually the same as one that is defended.

rh
    That's what I was saying. You can't put Condit out there as proof a camp doesn't train TDD well when he almost invites people to take him down and has been successful there.

I'd say just the opposite of Jackson's fighters, honestly. Most of them have well above average TDD.
    Last edited by SimpleJack; 07-18-2014 at 08:22 PM.

Thread Information