Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rousey vs. Carano In The Works For December (UFC 181)

Quote Originally Posted by LordCC View Post
    Why would it be a good idea to book Zingano in a title fight after a near year and a half layoff? Let her come back, prove she is fully fit and shake off the ring rust. Otherwise she is just another lamb to the slaughter who Rousey will get no credit for beating.
    I didn't say that Zingano should necessarily be in a title fight, but I think Zingano should be offered the opportunity before anyone else, because she earned it, and let her decide if she is ready or not. GSP did just fine, after his lengthy layoff, against Condit. If she declines, the shot should go to someone who is deserving of that opportunity.
    Last edited by dan the man 67; 07-18-2014 at 11:54 PM.

I read in a recent article there are still a lot of hurdles in the way. Like how it would effect Gina movie career if she just went in there and got smashed. Think Dana gonna get it done this time?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cornute View Post
    Carano in no way deserves this fight and if Cyborg, someone who is at least active by the way, wants a tune up fight at 135 prior to getting a shot at Rousey then you would hope Carano would also.

So here are negotiations , as I see them, for Carano and the UFC..."How much are you going to pay me to get thrown on my ass and punched in my pretty face."
    It could also be that zuffa offered her x amount of money for one fight and one fight only, and the prospect of a tune-up didn't come up. They're probably going to pay her upwards of a quarter mil, I don't know that they'd want to risk that level of investment on her getting beat by anyone but Rousey.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by dan the man 67 View Post
    I didn't say that Zingano should necessarily be in a title fight, but I think Zingano should be offered the opportunity before anyone else, because she earned it, and let her decide if she is ready or not. GSP did just fine, after his lengthy layoff, against Condit. If she declines, the shot should go to someone who is deserving of that opportunity.
    Booking her in a title fight and offering her a title fight are essentially the same thing since no one is going to turn down that opportunity regardless of whether they are ready or not. GSP is one of the GOATs and can beat top level competition even without being 100%, I don't think Zingano is comparable at this point and wouldn't want her to ruin her run by rushing into a title fight she is not at her absolute best for.

I agree with your sentiment completely that Carano isn't deserving. The three biggest potential challengers to Ronda atm are Zingano, Holm and Cyborg. All three of them have reasons not to fight Rousey next. It is going to take someone special to take the championship away so I want all 3 of them to be their best before facing her, whether that means gaining more octagon experience, gaining experience of the weight cut or shaking off any potential ring rust.

The Carano fight is a great business move. Whilst it doesn't have any legitimate sporting merits if it means that the contender after Gina is better equipped to beat Rousey because of the extra time then I can live with it and look at the positives.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    It could also be that zuffa offered her x amount of money for one fight and one fight only, and the prospect of a tune-up didn't come up. They're probably going to pay her upwards of a quarter mil, I don't know that they'd want to risk that level of investment on her getting beat by anyone but Rousey.

rh
    I completely understand Zuffa's pov and I understand Carano from a financial standpoint.
    but as a competitor I do not understand not wanting to be at your absolute best when fighting the best.

So this fight will be for the title? What if Gina can't make 135lb limit? And the fight has to be done at 140-145lb?

Will it still be a title fight? Will that make anyone (UFC, RR, Gina) legitimate in any way, shape, or form?

I can't imagine with the advances in weight cutting in the last 6 years she'll have trouble.

She's got more money for better trainers, better dieticians, etc.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

So much for Dana saying that women had no business being in the UFC....seems like big business now...

Other then $$$ this makes no sense, Can't help Gina's MMA/move career..... unless she wins which she has the skills to do but it's a major uphill battle.

10. Default

Gina knows here mind set isn't 100% in mma after doing scripted movies. So as everyone is saying it's a $$$$ fight nothing else. I hate how they disrespect the title. I see no problem with the fight, but should be win than earn a title shot.

Thread Information