Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunday Morning Post-Fight Discussion

Default Sunday Morning Post-Fight Discussion

I just wanted to get the forum's opinions on a few things out there, regarding last nights fights.

Firstly, would Cole Miller have fared any better than Brandao against McGregor? Miller has a much larger height and reach than Brandao so McGregor wouldn't have had that advantage (Miller = 76", McGregor = 73", Brandao = 64"). And Miller may have been less likely to brawl with him. Or would the fight have gone down in much of the same fashion. I get that they're completely different fighters with different styles, but who thinks it would have ended with the same result?

Secondly, what does everyone think of the start of the fight? I'm referring to McGregor's touch-of-the-gloves followed by a spin kick to the body. I don't think it connected, but it felt the same as guys faking a glove-touch and throwing a strike. Maybe that's just me though.

And lastly, who's up next for the guys on the card? There's lots of top FW's available for McGregor (Cub Swanson, Ricardo Lamas, Frankie Edgar, Korean Zombie, Dustin Porier, Clay Guida (if he wins on Sat), etc...).
    Personally, I'd like to see Edgar/McGregor.

One more question. Will it be another 5 years before the UFC returns to Ireland? I doubt it, now that they have more local stars there.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I wanted to watch two fat guys stare at each other huffing and puffing

McGregor vs Poirier @ 178?

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/07/conor-m...ier-will-do-it

After he took out Diego Brandao on Saturday in his home city of Dublin at UFC Fight Night 46, McGregor was quickly called out by Dustin Poirier (16-3 MMA, 8-2 UFC), who hopes to fight him at UFC 178 in September.

It’s an invitation McGregor said he’d gladly accept.

UFC 178 takes place Sept. 27 in Las Vegas and airs on pay-per-view, though a venue has not yet been announced.

McGregor (15-2 MMA, 3-0 UFC) stopped Brandao (18-10 MMA, 4-3 UFC) with a first-round TKO, mostly dominating the “TUF 14″ winner with his striking game at The O2 in Dublin.

The win came after plenty of hype around the Irish featherweight, who had been off for 11 months following a knee injury suffered in his second UFC fight. But McGregor backed up the big talk in a big way.

Now he’ll have a target on his back as he continues to say he’s had visions of being a UFC featherweight champion before the year’s out. And while UFC President Dana White doesn’t believe that’s a likely time table, he may be willing to give McGregor a fight in Las Vegas.

White said McGregor’s next fight likely will be in Las Vegas, and that the UFC won’t keep him on his home continent of Europe. But he wouldn’t commit to an opponent, even though McGregor said he’d gladly take a fight with Poirier – especially considering Poirier is an American Top Team teammate of Cole Miller, who pulled out of his UFC Fight Night 46 booking against McGregor with an injury.

McGregor implied that Miller’s teammates had the chance to fight him on Saturday, but didn’t step up, so Brandao did.

“That would be perfect for me,” McGregor said. “His teammate Cole Miller, he pulled out. You’re trying to tell me that Dustin Poirier, Nik Lentz, both top 10 guys, no fights scheduled, didn’t know about Cole’s injury? They would’ve known before the UFC would’ve known. And yet nothing. They didn’t campaign for this. This is a main-event slot. It’s a big, big event. And yet there wasn’t a peep out of both of them.

“So I know he doesn’t want that fight. He can pretend that he wants the fight and send out tweets and this and that. Let’s do it. One by one, I’ll take every single one of them out.”

Nelson vs MacDonald?

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/07/ufc-bos...elson-is-ready

Gunnar Nelson (13-0-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC), who rebounded from a slow start to submit Zak Cummings at UFC Fight Night 46, is just the kind of prospect that prompts fans to book fantasy matchups with higher-ranked opponents.

Nelson isn’t the only welterweight on a win streak, of course. But with four straight UFC wins, including two straight “Performance of the Night” bonuses, it seems the unbeaten Nelson is on the cusp of a fight against a top-10 opponent.

One such challenge reportedly pitched by his coach is Rory MacDonald (17-2 MMA, 8-2 UFC), who’s won his past two and this past month upset Tyron Woodley.

White usually shoots down potential matchups in the wake of an event, but he wasn’t opposed to the idea of Nelson vs. MacDonald.

“I don’t know … lemme talk to the guys and see what they think,” he said at UFC Fight Night 46′s post-event press conference at The O2 in Dublin. “What I don’t like is you see these guys who are talented, super-talented but don’t have the big-fight experience yet, taking these big jumps up.

“But we’ll see what happens. Lemme talk to his people, and talk to him, and really see what we want to do here.”

MacDonald vs. Woodley was initially framed as a No. 1 contender bout after Woodley bested former interim champ Carlos Condit at UFC 171 on the same night Johny Hendricks took the vacant welterweight belt in a scrap with Robbie Lawler.

Such talk died down as Lawler took a short-notice bout with Jake Ellenberger and dominated the fight en route to a third-round TKO. The UFC subsequently booked Lawler opposite Matt Brown for next week’s UFC on FOX 12. The winner of that bout is now considered the No. 1 contender.

MacDonald remains unbooked after his win over Woodley, but it’s hard to imagine he or his management would be thrilled with a fight against a lower-ranked fighter as he hovers near title contention. Conversely, it’s the type of fight that would elevate Nelson’s profile even higher, not to mention breaking him into the welterweight division’s top-10.

It would be unthinkable for Nelson not to welcome the opportunity, so the tough conversation for White is with MacDonald’s camp. Once considered the heir to now-former champ George St-Pierre’s throne, “Ares” is just a smidge louder than the laconic Nelson, but insistent no less on fighting for the belt.

McGregor vs the diamond would be killer. Never seen either of those guys in a boring fight. I like Dustin. He is a beast with good striking and a good ground game. Conner has the bus all loaded and is tough and on a roll. This would be an excellent fight.

I didn't get to see the Gunnar fight. I love Gunnar's grappling. Kinda think he needs another guy. Maybe someone in the 11-10-9 range. Donger, Kevin G, or saffedeine, or maybe a grappling affair with Maia.

I feel that if Cummigs (didn't see the fight but they said it was boring up till the finish) neutralized him the number 2 rory Mac will completely shut him down.

McGregor would have ended Miller in the same fashion.

I understand the respect of touching gloves, but honestly would like to see less of it.
    With glove touching before every round it leaves less chances for something like a Flying Knee right away like Jose Aldo did.
    You're in a fight. Expect every hand coming your way to be a potential strike at your body.

McGregor/Poirier is most likely next.

UFC will probably be back to Ireland in under 2 years easily.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    McGregor vs the diamond would be killer. Never seen either of those guys in a boring fight. I like Dustin. He is a beast with good striking and a good ground game. Conner has the bus all loaded and is tough and on a roll. This would be an excellent fight.

I didn't get to see the Gunnar fight. I love Gunnar's grappling. Kinda think he needs another guy. Maybe someone in the 11-10-9 range. Donger, Kevin G, or saffedeine, or maybe a grappling affair with Maia.

I feel that if Cummigs (didn't see the fight but they said it was boring up till the finish) neutralized him the number 2 rory Mac will completely shut him down.
    Totally agree. I like the Dustin/Connor fight. Hopefully it happens.
    And I agree with the Gunnar/Rory Mac assessment. I didn't see the fight either, but I'm under the same impression as you. And that Rory would just neutralize him in the standup and pick him apart with jabs.

Quote Originally Posted by The8thPlague View Post
    McGregor would have ended Miller in the same fashion.

I understand the respect of touching gloves, but honestly would like to see less of it.
    With glove touching before every round it leaves less chances for something like a Flying Knee right away like Jose Aldo did.
    You're in a fight. Expect every hand coming your way to be a potential strike at your body.

McGregor/Poirier is most likely next.

UFC will probably be back to Ireland in under 2 years easily.
    I agree with all of your points as well. I just think Miller would have lasted longer, maybe until the 3rd or 4th round.

And with the glove touching, that's why the ref says before every fight "If you want to touch gloves, do it now". Doing it at the start of the fight, or every round is completely unnecessary, except showing your opponent respect or whatever.

Lineker vs McCall now too?

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/07/john-li...-hide-and-seek

If Ian McCall really wants to fight him, John Lineker said he’s game. However, he suggested they may need to agree to some rules ahead of time.

Following Saturday’s unanimous-decision win over fellow flyweight Brad Pickett (24-9 MMA, 4-4 UFC) at UFC Fight Night 46, McCall (13-4-1 MMA, 2-2-1 UFC) was asked about a potential bout against Lineker (24-7 MMA, 5-2 UFC), who scored a TKO victory over Alptekin Ozkilic (9-3 MMA, 1-2 UFC) earlier in the week at UFC Fight Night 46.

With UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson (20-2-1 MMA, 8-1-1 UFC) now scheduled to co-headline UFC 177 opposite Chris Cariaso (17-5 MMA, 6-4 UFC) – and other contenders such as John Dodson (injury) and Ali Bagautinov (drug suspension) sidelined – the rest of the division is queuing up for the next crack at the title.

For McCall, who’s ranked No. 4 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA flyweight rankings, a fight with No. 9 Lineker, who’s likely to move up a spot or two when the rankings are updated later this week, would be hard to pass up, he said.

“Sign me up,” he said after Saturday’s UFC Fight Pass-streamed event at The O2 in Dublin. “I’ll fight anybody. He’s top five or whatever, and just like tonight, he might hit hard, but he can’t touch me. So, we’ll see how that goes. … He’s got pretty big holes in his wrestling and jiu-jitsu, so that’s a fight I’d love to take.”

When Lineker heard of McCall’s comments, he reached out to us. He narrowed in specifically on McCall’s reference to his elusiveness in the Pickett fight.

As Lineker sees it, it’s nothing to brag about.

“Congratulations to Ian on his win over Brad Pickett,” he told MMAjunkie. “But I’m not sure if I was watching a fight or a game of touch with the way Ian was running around away from Pickett.

“I have no problem at all with fighting McCall if that’s what the UFC wants to happen. But I would ask my manager to suggest the UFC create a new rule, deducting a point for every so many yards run inside the ring. I want to fight, not play hide-and-seek.”

Since losses to two of the division’s two fighters, champ Johnson and former title challenger Joseph Benavidez, McCall has picked up win over Pickett and Iliarde Santos for his first back-to-back wins since he was a Tachi Palace Fights titleholder.

Lineker, meanwhile, got his past weight-cutting issues in order (for one fight, at least), and he’s now 5-1 (with four knockouts) over his past six fights. The lone defeat came via decision to Bagautinov.

As for UFC President Dana White, he offered his usual post-fight-matchmaking response when asked about the possible bout.

“We’ll see,” he offered.

Dana White scrum video full replay from UFC Fight Night 46 press conference in Dublin
    http://www.mmamania.com/2014/7/19/59...nce-dublin-mma

White: Saturday was 'biggest' event to date for UFC Fight Pass digital network
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/07/white-s...igital-network
    “Tonight was a big night for Fight Pass,” White said (watch his full post-event media scrum below). “It was the most watched prelims ever on Fight Pass, and it was the biggest number (overall) we’ve ever done.”
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    I don't feel Gunnar was neutralized. I just think Cummings was trying really hard and Gunnar knew it was just kind of letting him use up some of his energy...he was slowly measuring him up. But Rory Mac is most definitely a very, very big step up in competition.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Oh, it was fightpass. No wonder I missed it. There's no way I'll ever pay for that. Oh well. I'm glad it was an entertaining event for those that saw it.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

Thread Information