Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Awesome Is UFC 178?

Default How Awesome Is UFC 178?

How awesome is UFC 178 looking so far? The answer is EXTREMELY.

I can't remember a card looking this good on paper in recent memory. Something where every fight announced so far I'm interested in and excited for.

Jones vs Gustafsson - No brainer here. Most anticipated rematch since Silva/Sonnen 2. (Dillashaw/Barao 2 will be good, but not quite on this level). Their first encounter was one of the best fights of 2013, if not the best (I saw it live).

Kennedy/Romero - Two top 10 MW's. One will move up and probably be 1 fight away from a title fight (maybe). Kennedy is on a 4-fight win streak and fresh off a beatdown of Bisping. And Romero is on a 4-fight win streak as well, 3 of those being knock outs.

Cruz/Mizugaki - The return of the longtime BW king after almost 3 years. He's still on a 10-fight win streak and only lost once; however the division is much different and robust than when he last fought. And then there's Mizugaki who is on a 5-fight win streak and is top ten in the division. The winner of this could be next in line for a shot at the Dillashaw/Barao winner (unless there's a rubber match).

Zingano/Nunes - Zingano is undefeated at 8-0 and was set to challenge Rousey before her injury. She could still be next in line still if she wins this (unless the Carano fight actually happens). And then Nunes is on a 2-fight win streak, and is top 10 in the shallow women's BW division.

Thompson/Cote - Thompson is on a 3-fight winning streak, and has only lost once in his career, which was to Matt Brown who is closing in on a title shot if he can get past Lawler. His unique style is fun to watch, and he usually wins by leaving his opponent KTFO. Then Cote is on a 3-fight win streak (1 was dq), and is 7-1 since his release from the UFC back in 2010. Both guys like to bang, and this should be a violent one. Maybe I'm just impartial because as a fellow Canuck I've always liked Cote, and been a fan of Wonderboy's style (plus he comes out to Tenacious D), but I'm a fan of both these guys and don't want to see either lose.

Ebersole/Howard - Ebersole is on a 2-fight losing streak (although he won 11 in a row before that) and Howard lost his most recent fight (but had won 4 in a row prior). Not much in the ranking for either of these guys. But I've always enjoyed Ebersole's funky style (cartwheel kicks and hair-row included) and Howard generally likes to bang. Should be a fun fight.

AND NOW there's the rumor of McGregor/Poirier being added to this card? Two (possibly) top 10 FW's and UFC's newest cash-cow in a fight?

How can they stack this much awesomeness into one freaking show? I cannot even remember the last card I was this hyped up about, even without the McGregor/Poirier bout being added to it. And IF McGregor/Poirier was added; would it make the PPV and bump another fight off? (probably would send Thompson/Cote down to headline the prelims)

With or without, THIS is a PPV I actually feel deserves the price of admission. The only downside of this card (for me) is that they're doing it in Vegas and not Toronto ... motherfuckers depriving me of an awesome TO card.

So there it is. A title fight. Two possible #1 contenders emerging. A MW top-ten fight. Two fights with diverse strikers. And a chance of McGregor. Sounds like a recipe to get some good PPV buys.

Last edited by Sick_Lunatic; 07-22-2014 at 04:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I wanted to watch two fat guys stare at each other huffing and puffing

It's a good card but I honestly think the top 5 fights on ufc on fox 12 are more interesting and likely more exciting.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Kennedy is gonna get Matt Brown'd. A 6-7 fight win streak, and still no title fight. I'm calling it now.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    It's a good card but I honestly think the top 5 fights on ufc on fox 12 are more interesting and likely more exciting.
    I'm looking forward to Fox 12 as well, looks like a great card. Just not great like this one. I also think it's because I'm biased though, because I've always been a fan of Cote/Thompson/Ebersole. AND because I'm always looking forward to a Jones fight, hoping he'll lose, and seeing what new questionable tactics he can bring to the table.

I think I'm going to have a bottle of liquor for 178 (probably Jagermeister), and take a shot for every time Jones does something like that (eye poke, throat elbow, arm crank, etc). Probably start it out with like 10 shots lined up so I'm ready for it. Anyone else want to join in on the game?
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I wanted to watch two fat guys stare at each other huffing and puffing

It's good card and this is what all UFC PPV's should look like if not better. It's two months out yet still though and wouldn't be surprised if it gets changed up a bit They've got cards right before it and right after it that are lacking main events and fights in general

It looks pretty good so far. I'm going to wait and see how the rest of the card shapes up before I get too excited about it.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Beware the injury bug!
    Quote Originally Posted by zana1126 View Post
    I prefer to watch my grandmother fucking.
    Whatever floats your boat man...

it's a pretty stacked card indeed. Be even sicker if Poirier vs McGregor would seal the deal. I'm actually pretty stoked for this Satuday's: Lawler vs Brown card as well, it has alot of matchups I'm excited to see
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    AND because I'm always looking forward to a Jones fight, hoping he'll lose, and seeing what new questionable tactics he can bring to the table.

I think I'm going to have a bottle of liquor for 178 (probably Jagermeister), and take a shot for every time Jones does something like that (eye poke, throat elbow, arm crank, etc). Probably start it out with like 10 shots lined up so I'm ready for it. Anyone else want to join in on the game?

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    Kennedy is gonna get Matt Brown'd. A 6-7 fight win streak, and still no title fight. I'm calling it now.
    No way, Kennedy won't be putting together a win streak as weak as Browns.

Thread Information