Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Awesome Is UFC 178?

Kennedy has already fought better talent but browns streak is impressive nonetheless.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

My problem has always been with the matchmaking of the UFC. Nobody should ever be more than 5 wins away from at least a stone cold lock for a #1 contenders fight. If you win a fight, you should get a step up in competition, and if you keep winning, and keep getting steps up, then at 5 ANYBODY should be be fighting for a guaranteed title shot. I don't care if you were 1-5 in your last 6, including a 3 fight losing streak when your winning streak began, if you have won 5 in a row you should have "naturally" (competent no BS match making that involves logical steps up in competition is what I call natural) worked your way up to the top of the top. It's not Matt Brown's fault that his competition level hasn't increased as it should. It's what happens when the spirit of competition is thrown out the window to make a few more dollars.

I've did this before I'll do it again.

Our Guy (3 fight losing streak) vs Some Poor Guy About To Be Cut (also 3 fight losing streak)

Winner: Our Guy

Our Guy (1 fight win "streak", also coming off a losing streak) vs Guy Making Debut or Guy Also Coming Off Losing Streak

Our Guy (2 fight win streak) vs Guy That Won His Debut or Guy on 2 Fight Win Streak

Our Guy (3 fight win streak) vs Guy On 3 Fight Win Streak Who Should Be Ranked Around 15th or Guy Who Is Normally Ranked Around The Top 8-12

Our Guy (4 fight win streak, including a win against fringe top 10 guy *our guy should be ranked 11-15th at this point*) vs Guy Ranked Somewhere Between 4-8)

Our Guy (5 fight win streak, including a win against a fringe top 10 guy, and a fringe top 5 guy *our guy should firmly be ranked 6-10th at this point*) vs Top 5 Guy

The last fight should be for a title shot. The champ should be fighting the #1 contender, realistically one of the top 5 just lost to the champ so he is out, and if our guy wins he will have eliminated another top 5 guy. If it was managed properly, and they had a good rotation going, the other 2 would have either recently fought for the title themselves or would be fighting each other. I know it wouldn't be easy and I know injuries happen, but that's what should be strived for rather than trying to make fun fights that don't make sense to the rankings.

Keep in mind that in my scenario Our Guy went from the worst of the worst to a long winning streak. Brown is on a 7 fight streak, was 1-1 before the streak started, and had lost 3 in a row before that, so while he wasn't doing good before the streak, he did have a win in there, and he has one more win than Our Guy, AND he still isn't a sure thing for a title shot even if he beats Robbie. Kennedy has won 4 in a row, and 6 of his last 7. I promise you that a win here won't get him a title fight, and probably won't get him a fight that will put him in a position to get a title fight.

I understand that my system may not sound like it would currently work, but it most certainly would if everybody was constantly fighting worthy opponents. It would work if everybody was getting who they should be. Streaks wouldn't get so long, and names wouldn't be protected. It would eliminate log jams, in my opinion.
    Last edited by The Donosaur; 07-22-2014 at 08:54 AM.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    My problem has always been with the matchmaking of the UFC. Nobody should ever be more than 5 wins away from at least a stone cold lock for a #1 contenders fight. If you win a fight, you should get a step up in competition, and if you keep winning, and keep getting steps up, then at 5 ANYBODY should be be fighting for a guaranteed title shot. I don't care if you were 1-5 in your last 6, including a 3 fight losing streak when your winning streak began, if you have won 5 in a row you should have "naturally" (competent no BS match making that involves logical steps up in competition is what I call natural) worked your way up to the top of the top. It's not Matt Brown's fault that his competition level hasn't increased as it should. It's what happens when the spirit of competition is thrown out the window to make a few more dollars.

I've did this before I'll do it again.

Our Guy (3 fight losing streak) vs Some Poor Guy About To Be Cut (also 3 fight losing streak)

Our Guy (1 fight win "streak", also coming off a losing streak) vs Guy Making Debut or Guy Also Coming Off Losing Streak

Our Guy (2 fight win streak) vs Guy That Won His Debut or Guy on 2 Fight Win Streak

Our Guy (3 fight win streak) vs Guy On 3 Fight Win Streak Who Should Be Ranked Around 15th or Guy Who Is Normally Ranked Around The Top 8-12

Our Guy (4 fight win streak, including a win against fringe top 10 guy *our guy should be ranked 11-15th at this point*) vs Guy Ranked Somewhere Between 4-8)

Our Guy (5 fight win streak, including a win against a fringe top 10 guy, and a fringe top 5 guy *our guy should firmly be ranked 6-10th at this point*) vs Top 5 Guy

The last fight should be for a title shot. The champ should be fighting the #1 contender, realistically one of the top 5 just lost to the champ so he is out, and if our guy wins he will have eliminated another top 5 guy. If it was managed properly, and they had a good rotation going, the other 2 would have either recently fought for the title themselves or would be fighting each other. I know it wouldn't be easy and I know injuries happen, but that's what should be strived for rather than trying to make fun fights that don't make sense to the rankings.

Keep in mind that in my scenario Our Guy went from the worst of the worst to a long winning streak. Brown is on a 7 fight streak, was 1-1 before the streak started, and had lost 3 in a row before that, so while he wasn't doing good before the streak, he did have a win in there, and he has one more win than Our Guy, AND he still isn't a sure thing for a title shot even if he beats Robbie. Kennedy has won 4 in a row, and 6 of his last 7. I promise you that a win here won't get him a title fight, and probably won't get him a fight that will put him in a position to get a title fight.

I understand that my system may not sound like it would currently work, but it most certainly would if everybody was constantly fighting worthy opponents. It would work if everybody was getting who they should be. Streaks wouldn't get so long, and names wouldn't be protected. It would eliminate log jams, in my opinion.

That unregistered guest deserves rep. That GIF killed me.

move one's bowels to a chicken coop. Kill chickens and pick up feathers. They blow the whistle on for 10 ea on forums. Also bury the bones you find.

To me, the card is nothing special. But to each his own.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

I remember the good ol days when pretty much every ppv looked this good.

And why wont it let me rep that spambot?
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

I remember the good ol days when pretty much every ppv looked this good.

And why wont it let me rep that spambot?
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

sam126 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I'm looking forward to Fox 12 as well, looks like a great card. Just not great like this one. I also think it's because I'm biased though, because I've always been a fan of Cote/Thompson/Ebersole. AND because I'm always looking forward to a Jones fight, hoping he'll lose, and seeing what new questionable tactics he can bring to the table.

I think I'm going to have a bottle of liquor for 178 (probably Jagermeister), and take a shot for every time Jones does something like that (eye poke, throat elbow, arm crank, etc). Probably start it out with like 10 shots lined up so I'm ready for it. Anyone else want to join in on the game?
    While almost everyone is looking forward to the Jones fight (and for mostly the same reason), I think there's a pretty good chance it disappoints those who are hoping for another back-and-forth war. I think in the previous fight, the Jones corner was relying on the 39" reach advantage he has over most of his opponents and were caught off guard by how effective the opponent's offense could be with only a 29" reach disadvantage. Jones still outclasses Gus in athleticism. If he comes in more aggressive, there's a good chance he runs right over him.

I wouldn't call the arm crank dirty. If Jones hadn't said the thing about it being dirty in wrestling, people would rave about what a great submission attempt it was. I do picture an 80's movie training montage where Greg Jackson throws grapes at Jones while yelling, "Left eye!! Right eye!!", and Jones pokes them out of the air.

Edit: Even though no one's seen fit to send me a confirm link for my account, the new spamguard questions are a huge improvement over those (or I should say 'that' because for me it was always the same question) used just a couple of days ago. Progress is encouraging.

As far as I am concerned the arm crank isn't dirty. The oblique kick isn't dirty. If anyone thinks either are against the spirit of the sport then call for the rules to be changed but don't hate on someone who is operating within those rules even if you dislike him as much as a lot of people hate Jones. Let him open hand jab all he wants but if he pokes an eye then take a point.

This card is looking pretty awesome. I concur with the idea a lot of PPVs used to be as stacked as this one but in the current climate I will enjoy and anticipate this card immensely, hopefully it delivers the excitment and finishes that the last couple of UFC cards have.

Quote Originally Posted by LordCC View Post
    As far as I am concerned the arm crank isn't dirty. The oblique kick isn't dirty. If anyone thinks either are against the spirit of the sport then call for the rules to be changed but don't hate on someone who is operating within those rules even if you dislike him as much as a lot of people hate Jones. Let him open hand jab all he wants but if he pokes an eye then take a point.

This card is looking pretty awesome. I concur with the idea a lot of PPVs used to be as stacked as this one but in the current climate I will enjoy and anticipate this card immensely, hopefully it delivers the excitment and finishes that the last couple of UFC cards have.
    I didn't really consider him that dirty a few months back. Sure the eye pokes happened in every fight, and seemed unintentional. Then I wrote this little piece on why he is so hated http://www.mmanews.com/forums/showth...Jones+is+hated

After seeing countless gifs and examples of different things he has done and the frequency with which he does them, my opinion changed and I'm not 100% sold that these things are accidental anymore.

Howdy Folks! You like blood? Violence? Freaks of nature? Well then, come on down to Captain Spaulding's Museum of Monsters and Mad-Men. See the Alligator Boy, ride my famous Murder Ride. Most of all, don't forget to take home some of my tasty fried chicken! Ha ha! It just tastes so damn good!

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I wanted to watch two fat guys stare at each other huffing and puffing

Thread Information