Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How Awesome Is UFC 178?

Quote Originally Posted by LordCC View Post
    As far as I am concerned the arm crank isn't dirty. The oblique kick isn't dirty. If anyone thinks either are against the spirit of the sport then call for the rules to be changed but don't hate on someone who is operating within those rules even if you dislike him as much as a lot of people hate Jones. Let him open hand jab all he wants but if he pokes an eye then take a point.

This card is looking pretty awesome. I concur with the idea a lot of PPVs used to be as stacked as this one but in the current climate I will enjoy and anticipate this card immensely, hopefully it delivers the excitment and finishes that the last couple of UFC cards have.
    While I completely respect peoples' opinion on those particular moves, I simply disagree and would cite similar situations in other sports like basketball- It's completely legal to turn into a block out as the ball comes off the board even if it means you undercut someone and will likely cause injury. Crackback blocks are completely legal if they are done above the waist.

The arm crank didn't really bother me at all and I do agree that it's up to the sport to address the oblique kick as the potential for injury far outweighs any advantage the strike could present. If it's at least looked at and determined that it takes too much away from the sport to make it illegal, I would also be fine with that. I would just like for the governing bodies to acknowledge that it is a questionable tactic that needs to be evaluated.

The open hands are a completely separate issue. They are akin to stepping on feet in boxing and referees need to tighten up their fights by addressing them immediately. The difference between them and stepping on feet is that your foot generally doesn't cut and potentially leave you blind and defenseless.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Whats the over/under odds on Jones getting called on an eye poke or two during the Goose fight?
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

This just got Awesomer
    LJS-NEMS

On oblique kicks, regardless of which side of the fence you're on about them I see them getting more and more popular in MMA. Potentially doing as much (or more) damage as a regular leg kick, but without the risk of snapping your leg in half if it's checked. It's a win-win.

I'd like to see some scrutiny applied to them sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Goremire View Post
    On oblique kicks, regardless of which side of the fence you're on about them I see them getting more and more popular in MMA. Potentially doing as much (or more) damage as a regular leg kick, but without the risk of snapping your leg in half if it's checked. It's a win-win.

With Cormier having a bum knee, they're going to be VERY popular in the main event.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    With Cormier having a bum knee, they're going to be VERY popular in the main event.
    You'd think so. I'm conflicted about that. On the one hand, it's Jones, so it's easy to call it a 'dirty tactic and get all self-righteous about it.

On the other hand, it's also a technique used by Carlos Condit who's one of my favourite fighters. It can't be underhanded dirtyfightin' when Jones does it, and merely playing to the letter of the rules when Condit does it when it's the exact same technique, no matter how much my brain insists that that is a perfectly valid position.

Quote Originally Posted by Goremire View Post

I think they're getting more and more popular because of the number of fighters from Jackson MMA.

But yes. They need to be scrutinized and the issue put to bed.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Thread Information