Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira: 'I still have what it takes'

Default Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira: 'I still have what it takes'

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira is one of the best MMA heavyweights of all time. He's won both Pride and UFC world titles and earned some of the most dramatic come-from-behind victories in the sport's history.
    However, "Minotauro" has clearly stayed in for far too long and sustained horrible damage to his body and mind. going back to late 2008, Nogueira is just 3-5 in his last eight fights. The Brazilian was once seemingly impossible to finish but he's been stopped in all of those last five losses.
    His last loss - a first round KO at the hands of Roy Nelson las April - was one of his ugliest and most one-sided. However, Nogueira seems to be hanging on to the hope that he can still fight well and relatively safely against the best in the world.
    "I still have what it takes. I will return next year," Nogueira said in a recent interview with Guilherme Cruz.
    "I have plans to be in shape and fight again, for sure. I want to recover first, and then I will see how I feel."
    Nogueira said that he blew out an ACL in his knee in the days leading up to the Nelson fight. It would seem that he's blaming that injury for the loss and so also believes that once he heals up from that injury, he will be back to form.
    "I had surgery four weeks ago, and Iím doing fine now," Nogueira said.
    "ACL surgery takes at least five months to return to fighting. Iím doing physical therapy now. I know the limits of my body. I wonít get myself injured again. I can do other things. I ride bikes and work out every day, but I canít train yet."
    https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mm...183705670.html

Would absolutely love to see Big Nog retire. Was trying to think of someone for him to fight that has no ko power, but I can't think of any at heavy weight. Wish the UFC did special attraction grappling matches. Would love to see the old guys still compete. Maybe the day before at the weigh ins? Just spit balling, but back to the article, no- Nog needs to retire.

No.

I love Nog as much as any purist but his heart and drive have outlived his body at this point.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Wait, Nog is blaming a loss on an injury?! Wow, I wonder if he'll say the guy who knocked him out isn't a real man next...

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    Wait, Nog is blaming a loss on an injury?! Wow, I wonder if he'll say the guy who knocked him out isn't a real man next...
    Soares.....Are you there???
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Time to retire don't go out like Chuck did.

Give him Mir one more time then they can both retire afterwards

Nogueira will be forever remembered as one of the best HW in MMA... but it's time to hang the gloves... additional head trauma is not necessary...

If a truck didn't stop him, knock outs from skin and bones won't!

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    Would absolutely love to see Big Nog retire. Was trying to think of someone for him to fight that has no ko power, but I can't think of any at heavy weight. Wish the UFC did special attraction grappling matches. Would love to see the old guys still compete. Maybe the day before at the weigh ins? Just spit balling, but back to the article, no- Nog needs to retire.
    He should look at doing some grappling matches for Metamoris I'm sure they'd love to have another UFC name on the roster there

Thread Information