Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Belfort, Sonnen NSAC meeting (1:00 ET)

So what was that, 2 year suspension and reimbursement for legal/information gathering costs? Or did I miss something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    So what was that, 2 year suspension and reimbursement for legal/information gathering costs? Or did I miss something else?
    yup....

I have only followed what has been said in here but all I can say is...

What a fucking joke. Chael has repeatedly lied to the commission and cheated, he should get a lifetime ban.

Vitor fails a second drug test and gets NO suspension after claiming it was the doctors fault AGAIN. The first time is believable, the second time is unforgivable. He deliberately and knowingly went above 'normal' levels and gains no real punishment. This is so fucked up.

Quote Originally Posted by LordCC View Post

What a fucking joke. Chael has repeatedly lied to the commission and cheated, he should get a lifetime ban.

Vitor fails a second drug test and gets NO suspension after claiming it was the doctors fault AGAIN. The first time is believable, the second time is unforgivable. He deliberately and knowingly went above 'normal' levels and gains no real punishment. This is so fucked up.
    One of them said they consider Chael a good friend...

Quote Originally Posted by LordCC View Post

That was definitely up for debate. One of the members was adamant that they should ban him for life, but they settled on a 2 year ban, and the possibility of being able to easily turn down a license request in the future. Mostly because they acknowledge he lost 2-3 jobs over it, and is being publicly humiliated by his peer's trash talking. Basically, he's already being kicked while he is down, so really no more reason to do it more to him...at least until he files for a license again.

They also request that he help them, which was laughed at by at least 1 commission member. Basically they are going to use his knowledge of illegal substance use to try and catch others.

Honestly, I'm ok with the judgement. If he decides to compete again, he has to wait 2 years. At 2 years without competition, at his age, he'll be a shell of his current self (especially without performance enhancers).

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    They also request that he help them, which was laughed at by at least 1 commission member. Basically they are going to use his knowledge of illegal substance use to try and catch others.
    I found it surprising the NSAC was so willing to seek out the help of a multiple time cheat, known liar and criminal. I know the NSAC has made bad choices before but to court Sonnen like that at his hearing was sickening.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

As far as I am concerned the commission should not be factoring in what Sonnen has lost because of his blatant cheating. He hasn't 'lost' anything, he gained all of those things through unfair means IMO.

The commission are there to run and rule independently of anyone and anything, they should have made the decision that will best protect the sport but they bottled it. If you are not going to ban him for life the LEAST they should do is force him to undergo the same random drug testing Belfort is doing for the duration of his suspension at his own expense with financial penalties for failing.

If he has only a 2 year suspension, legal costs and potential information for the commission then what stops him pumping himself full of God knows what for two years and coming back for a huge fight in Brazil, thus circumventing the risk of applying for another license?

I just read one of the commissioners commended Sonnen for showing great guts for showing up today. I fucking give up.

Brian Stann talks Sonnen, Belfort at NSAC hearings: 'Consistency is extremely important'
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/07/brian-s...mely-important
    The two-year suspension marked an unprecedented length for an MMA fighter, but Stann feels it’s a legitimate punishment considering the severity of Sonnen’s actions parlayed with the fact he’s a repeat offender.

“He’s been caught before, he’s had issues before, so I think it’s fair,” Stann told MMAjunkie. “There’s got to be more of a deterrent for people to do this, because it’s not necessarily just the individuals, it’s an environment that’s been created where once one guy has a distinct advantage, everybody else feels like they have to have that advantage. So there are certainly others out there that need to get caught as well. He just happened to be the one that they’re going to make an example out of.”

Stann says that Sonnen, who officially retired from competition following the results of the first failed test, had no intention of returning for another fight regardless of his suspension length. One NSAC commissioner suggested a lifetimde ban, something Stann believes would have sent a much more startling message.

“It doesn’t necessarily affect him,” Stann said. “I’ve spoken to Chael; there are no plans right now for him to come back. I think he owned everything, which is excellent, and it is what it is. It’s pretty much what he expected and I like the fact they’re handing out longer suspensions. …This isn’t basketball. We’re talking about combat sports. We’re giving each other concussions; it’s a major advantage to be on these substances. If you’re a multiple time violator, then you should be gone.”

While the suspension may not hinder Sonnen one way or another, Stann believes having the former three-time UFC title challenger aid the commission in its quest to clean up doping will only be beneficial because of his thorough knowledge of the sport.

“I think it’s achievable in that you got to understand: if you’re the ones trying to regulate and catch people, you got to talk to the guys on the inside,” Stann said. “It’s kind of like when investigators hire ex-criminals to help them solve a crime. To understand the ins-and-the-outs and what’s causing guys to go that route. ‘Chael, what made you want to take those substances? What made you feel like you had to take those substances? How do we stop guys from getting to that point? How do we deter them from getting to that point? If we’re handing out two-year suspensions to guys who have been caught before, would you have risked it?’ Maybe he says, ‘No, I wouldn’t have.’”

Sonnen’s hearing displayed the power in which the NSAC can wield when they choose. In the situation of Belfort, the line of questioning from the commission was brought on with a far different mood.

Despite the fact “The Phenom” was flagged for elevated testosterone levels in June, he was granted a conditional license by the NSAC and has since been scheduled to challenge UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman for the belt at UFC 181 in December.

Belfort’s case is controversial because he is also a repeat offender, yet there was no mention of his 2006 failed drug test in Nevada during the hearing. That raises questions about the factors behind how punishments are handed out, and Stann feels there’s a glaring lack of consistency.

“It’s surprising,” Stann said of Belfort’s licensure. “It shows the extremes where on one end you got a guy pushing for a lifetime ban, you got another guy who gives a two-year ban, then you got another guy over here who gets the opportunity to fight in December for a world championship. That, to me, doesn’t look like it’s consistent.”

Sonnen and Belfort aren’t the first fighters to be caught using ban substances, and they certainly won’t be the last, either. There’s no denying the commission is putting noticeably more effort into catching those abusers than in the past, but Stann says unless the punishments for those athletes are significant and equal across the board, the culture won’t change.

“Whenever you’re talking about a disciplinary action, one of the keys that any organization tries to establish it consistency across the board,” Stann said. “One guy gets hammered and the other guy is allowed to continue on.

“If you’re a multiple-time violator, it should be over for you. You should no longer be able to compete. It’s unfortunate. I’m sure Vitor would argue that with me and I may not know all the details, but like I said, when it comes to disciplinary measures, consistency is extremely important.”
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

What a freakin joke. But I'm not surprised. Not even a little bit. One of the commissioners are good friends with Sonnen for christ sake. No conflict of interest there. As long as that rat fuck Sonnen goes away and doesn't show his whiskers around MMA anymore, thats all that matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Thread Information