Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Josh Thomson Interview: “Our Weight Classes Are So Much Harder Than The Guys That Are

Default Josh Thomson Interview: “Our Weight Classes Are So Much Harder Than The Guys That Are

Just wanted to post it here as well ...

http://www.mmanews.com/josh-thomson-...arder-guys-us/

Josh ‘The Punk’ Thomson will compete at the upcoming UFC 178 card against Bobby Green. He recently did an interview with FoxSports about why the lighter weight divisions are the most competitive in mixed martial arts. Here are some highlights of what he said about:

Bad Decisions:

“It does now and it never had before. The Gil fight, yeah I felt like I won that fight, I felt like I definitely thought I did enough to win. I was upset that I lost, it was a split decision especially going into the UFC, I wanted the opportunity to fight for the title. Well I got that anyway, I knocked out Nate Diaz, I was supposed to fight Pettis, but that didn’t work out. The Benson (Henderson) fight, that’s the one that was really upsetting because I went back and watched the fight and I felt like I won four of the five rounds. I’d give myself three to two, but I felt like the judges could have given it four to one. I really don’t know. It does make me nervous now, the judges make me nervous now.”

The Middleweight, Light Heavyweight and Heavyweight Divisions:

“This is what I say — when you go up in weight, you should be saying it to those guys. Because those guys all have weaknesses. You hit 185, 205, and heavyweight, those guys are always just good at like one thing, two things, but they’re not great all the way around. There’s ways to finish them. So if you’re a well-rounded athlete, you can finish those guys. You can find ways to finish those guys. You start getting in the 185′s, 205, heavyweight, they start being one-dimensional, two-dimensional fighters. They’re not mixed martial artists. They’re not as good as the 55-pounders and below. They’re just not. To me that’s just a fact.”

The Welterweight Division:

“170 is kind of like the limbo — like there’s some well-rounded guys in there. GSP was the champion so long because he was the most well-rounded and usually in the best shape. But that’s kind of like the whole new guy — that’s why Rory MacDonald does well. He’s in shape, he’s got pretty good jiu-jitsu, he’s hard to take down but he’s got good standup. He’s well-rounded with good shape. Those are the guys that are hard to beat.”

The Lightweight Division and Below:

“With 55-pounders and below, good luck, man. Everybody’s good all around — they’re good wrestlers, they’re good jiu-jitsu guys, they’re good standup guys, they’re game to throw down and they’re always in shape. So you want to tell me ‘don’t leave it in the judges’ hands’ but where am I supposed to take this fight where this guy isn’t good? He’s good at stopping submissions, he’s good at wrestling, he’s good as standup and he’s generally in great shape. Tell me how when we start talking 55 and below, these guy are phenomenal athletes and they’re almost impossible to finish. People knock us for it, but guess what? Our weight classes are so much harder than the guys that are above us. Finishes like that are few and far between and you’ve got to be happy when you get them.”

Howdy Folks! You like blood? Violence? Freaks of nature? Well then, come on down to Captain Spaulding's Museum of Monsters and Mad-Men. See the Alligator Boy, ride my famous Murder Ride. Most of all, don't forget to take home some of my tasty fried chicken! Ha ha! It just tastes so damn good!

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I wanted to watch two fat guys stare at each other huffing and puffing

I dont agree with that assessment at all. I would say every champ in their respective division are very well-rounded fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by 0mega1 View Post
    I dont agree with that assessment at all. I would say every champ in their respective division are very well-rounded fighters.
    I don't think I'll ever see the day where Cain blows me away with amazing Jiu Jitsu.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Quote Originally Posted by The8thPlague View Post
    I don't think I'll ever see the day where Cain blows me away with amazing Jiu Jitsu.
    Yeah, because he doesnt get put on his back. I think Lesnar was the only one to take him down (could be wrong) and he got up right away. We havent seen his JJ skills as of yet. We have seen his great wrestling and his (IMO) good stand-up and that has been enough to dominate the division.

Yeah. I see where you're coming from. The champs are all good at their weight classes, but I see where Thomson is coming from too and I kind of agree with him.
    155 & 170 have been my favorite weight classes for a long time.
    There isn't a weight class that I don't like. But with 205 and Heavyweight you pretty much know what kind of fight you're gonna get when you see the 2 people matched together.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Its tough predicament I think there are more evenly matched fighters in the lower weights but in theory skill wise maybe they are only on par with the # 8 guy at say middleweight. He used poor wording he shouldve said more competitive. How difficult a weight class is is impossible to judge.

Quote Originally Posted by 0mega1 View Post
    Yeah, because he doesnt get put on his back. I think Lesnar was the only one to take him down (could be wrong) and he got up right away. We havent seen his JJ skills as of yet. We have seen his great wrestling and his (IMO) good stand-up and that has been enough to dominate the division.
    So from what you have seen from cain he is two dimensional and that was exactly Thompson's point..

8. 07-23-2014, 10:45 PM

No, Im saying those 2 facets of his game are so strong we dont see the other parts. Lets be basic here, there is 2 facets to MMA, striking & grappling (within these 2 categories there are sub-categories); Cain is stellar at both of these aspects of MMA. Sure I dont know how good his Judo is or his Tae Kwon Do is but to say he's not as much a mix martial artist as the smaller guys in the UFC are, is asinine and disrespectful.

Yeah we all have seen that Jones is a one dimensional fighter.
    His stand up sucks, his wrestling sucks, he has never submitted anyone so his BJJ sucks. He is just tall, that is the only reason he has been winning.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    Yeah we all have seen that Jones is a one dimensional fighter.
    His stand up sucks, his wrestling sucks, he has never submitted anyone so his BJJ sucks. He is just tall, that is the only reason he has been winning.
    Yeah Weidman and Jones are the antithesis of what he described, very dumb assessment by Thomson.

Thread Information