Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Gustafsson Injured, Jones vs. Cormier At UFC 178

Cormier will bring the best in Johnny... but I'm not sure if Johnny will be able to stop the takedowns...

Im not excited to watch a less than 100% Cormier face Jones.

What's interesting about this decision is the fact that Cormier spoke to MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani last month about plans to undergo knee surgery to repair his torn LCL in his right knee. He was expected to be out for several months while waiting for the Jones/Gus winner to emerge. Now with Gustafsson out, it's since been revealed that Cormier delayed surgery and is "good to go" for this fight.
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/7/23...-jones-ufc-178

I have the same feeling about this as I do about the McMann/Rousey fight: Amazing challenger being pushed too early and under horrible circumstances.

Cormier is known for weight issues, was preparing for a long layoff and knee surgery. Now he's stepping up with what is a short-notice fight- probably less than two months to plan and execute a camp. I really hate when this happens. In some sense, it's blowback from product dilution: The cards are so watered down that the UFC couldn't lose this fight as part of 178. But in doing so, they risk a great prospect by putting him in the fight under bad circumstances. IMO, it's unfair given that Jones was already in camp.

Like I said before, I think the same thing happened with McMann. She was notified of the fight about two months out, while Rousey was already in shape and allegedly knew of the plans to put McMann next. Granted, I think Rousey would have won either way. But I don't like seeing high-promise contenders in murky divisions teed up this way... Doesn't make sense to me.

Any update on the state of DC's knee?

5. Default

At this point, I could care less who he fights. Im not buying any Jones related ppv's until he learns to keep his fingers out of his opponents eyes.

AnchorP: DC is 35. It is time for him. Sucks about the knee and the semi short notice, but I think DC needs this now. Will be a good fight.

PS: we have never seen DC in trouble have we? Monson, Mir, Bigfoot, Barnet, Hendo = Domination

Let the twitter war begin. Round 1 is on:

Jones - “I hope you’re ready to come to daddy,”

Cormier - “I am, I'm gonna f–k you up.”

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/07/jon-jon...-come-to-daddy

Jon Jones 'ninja' message to Daniel Cormier: 'I hope you're ready to come to daddy'
    "Let me tell you a little something on Jon Jones," Cormier said. "He's a ninja on a number of levels. I don't follow Jon Jones on Twitter, but somehow he was able to send me a direct message ... The direct message said ‘I hope you're ready to come to daddy.'"

Cormier later followed by posting an Instagram photo of the exchange, including his NSFW reply which stated, "I am. I am going to f*** you up."

Meanwhile, it wasn't until this morning that Cormier found out he was going to be offered the slot in place of the injured Gustafsson. Cormier said he got a text message from UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta at 6:45 AM West Coast time, was offered the fight when he returned the call, and accepted after consulting with his coaches.

"There's always going to be hesitation," Cormier said. "When you get a title fight you want to get three months to prepare, but if my coaches came to me and told me you have to beat Jon Jones in five weeks I would do it."

By leaking the news of the Twitter skirmish, Cormier appears to be attempting some gamesmanship, but he insists he can't get into the champion's head.

"I don't think I'm in his head," Cormier said. "Jon Jones has dealt with number of issues when it come to guys fighting. Him and Rashad Evans. He dealt with the issues with Rashad. Those two were longtime friends and they fell out and he got through that. I don't think anything I can say to Jon Jones will affect him."
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/7/23...-ready-to-come
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    PS: we have never seen DC in trouble have we? Monson, Mir, Bigfoot, Barnet, Hendo = Domination
    I do recall him being in trouble with Henderson. But it was before the fight and caused by the scent of a bucket of Popeye's chicken nearly causing him to miss weight.

Hopefully he has enough time to train the 3-stooges defense technique to avoid getting his eyes finger-fucked out of his skull.

12" reach advantage for Jones in this one. Plus a few more from the finger extension. However DC just has to get ahold of him or land one of those bombs to put Jones in some trouble.

Howdy Folks! You like blood? Violence? Freaks of nature? Well then, come on down to Captain Spaulding's Museum of Monsters and Mad-Men. See the Alligator Boy, ride my famous Murder Ride. Most of all, don't forget to take home some of my tasty fried chicken! Ha ha! It just tastes so damn good!

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I wanted to watch two fat guys stare at each other huffing and puffing

Thread Information