Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Gustafsson Injured, Jones vs. Cormier At UFC 178

I'm more excited for this fight instead of the rematch!!!
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Quote Originally Posted by The8thPlague View Post
    I'm more excited for this fight instead of the rematch!!!
    I was pretty hype for the rematch to be honest. I'm excited for this as well, hopefully it generates and equal amount of buzz, I've been waiting a while for one of those huge scale events that are all over espn.

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    AnchorP: DC is 35. It is time for him. Sucks about the knee and the semi short notice, but I think DC needs this now. Will be a good fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    PS: we have never seen DC in trouble have we? Monson, Mir, Bigfoot, Barnet, Hendo = Domination
    Good point, Miz. Though Bones is certainly an entirely different animal. And...

Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I do recall him being in trouble with Henderson. But it was before the fight and caused by the scent of a bucket of Popeye's chicken nearly causing him to miss weight.
    SL wins! HAHAHA

Dangit... If DC can't keep his hands off the fried chicken before a title fight than nothing can help him.

Overall, DC is a monster who's been an amazing lineup of guys. However, not one of them would be fighters who I think excel at managing distance or footwork. While Jones' footwork isn't great, his manipulation of distance + reach is a truly unique challenge. Will be interesting to see Cormier's strategy on fight night.

this makes 178 a lot better for me. If DC can dominate Jones, drop to 185, travel back in time, he will never lose

i can see the excuses already - he took the fight on short notice, he had a hurt knee, he had a 12' reach disadvantage, [inset any more excuses here] when Jones dominates DC. Gunna be fun to see, then people will jump back on the - But he 'lost' to Goose the first time train again.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    i can see the excuses already - he took the fight on short notice, he had a hurt knee, he had a 12' reach disadvantage, [inset any more excuses here] when Jones dominates DC. Gunna be fun to see, then people will jump back on the - But he 'lost' to Goose the first time train again.
    There are always going to be excuses. Just like you're always going to be making excuses as to why Johnny Pokes Jones isn't a dirty fucking fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

When this happens to Jones I'm gonna be blown away.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPtB8TXwxhc
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

This fight will look like Bj Pen vs Sean Sherk, war Jones.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Those arent excuses he really has a hurt knee that has needed surgery for some time and he really is taking this with 5 weeks to prepare to save the PPV, when he was already putting himself on the sideline for surgery. AND he did lose to Gustaffson the first fight, I dont give a fuck what you Jon Jones nutgargling fanboys have to say. Maybe he didnt do enough to "dethrone the Champ" but that scoring job was pathetic

I personally wish he would of waited got the surgery and came back healthy and prepared before taking the on the challenge, just like Gus did by pulling out of the fight until he is healed and ready to go. No shame in not waiting tho, I'm expecting a damn good fight with or without him 100%.

There is no jumping back on the "train" again, some of us stick by our fighters no matter what. Bandwagons are for bitches, so shove that shit up your ass
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    Overall, DC is a monster who's been an amazing lineup of guys. However, not one of them would be fighters who I think excel at managing distance or footwork. While Jones' footwork isn't great, his manipulation of distance + reach is a truly unique challenge. Will be interesting to see Cormier's strategy on fight night.
    Looking at his opponents, DC has overcome size disadvantages before. Barnett, Mir and Big Foot especially all had height and reach on him - the latter at 6'4 and with an 82" reach is actually pretty close to Jones's dimensions, and is obviously a lot heavier and harder hitting.

But you are 100% correct in what you say about the problems DC faces against Jones. All of the above could legitimately be described as 'ponderous', and DC had a significant speed advantage against them. He won't have that against Jones. None of them possess effective jabs, and of the three only Silva really throws effective kicks. But I wouldn't put his kicks in the same class as Jones. Overall, DC would have had a much easier time getting inside their reaches than he will against Jones.

On the flip side DC has great takedowns, which may discourage Jones from throwing kicks. Or he may take a leaf out of Gus's book and eat the leg kick in order to throw an overhand right to clinch/double leg. Jones bully's most of his opponents in the clinch but I doubt he'll enjoy the same freedom against DC. Of everyone Jones has faced DC has the best wrestleboxing game, and will absolutely be comfortable with the size disadvantage.

Having said that, 5" height and 11" reach (nearly a goddamned foot and a half length advantage) AND a speed advantage is a gargantuan mountain to climb, for any fighter. If DC can pull this off I will be incredibly impressed.

Thread Information