Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Gustafsson Injured, Jones vs. Cormier At UFC 178

Quote Originally Posted by Transworld View Post
    I having nothing against Jones, I like him. Just stating two facts. DC really doesn't have much choice but to except the fight. LCL and ACL surgery could put him out for 1 year.
    So he will instead - take the fight with the possibility of winning the belt - THEN he will go and have LCL and ACL surgery and be out over a year and the division will be held up? That is assuming he wouldnt defend the title with a torn LCL and ACL, i mean who would do that?

Gus was someone that Jones stated he wanted to face initially. Its not as though he was some great contender for the belt, he had only beaten an over the hill Shogun. Prior to that, he faced the Janitor, Hammill, Thiago Silva (after a 1year suspension), and James Tehuna; those people were already on the decline when Jones faced them 4 years ago. People here were saying that its a bullshit matchup and he didn't deserve a shot/was unproven and that Jones was trying to pad his resume/dictate fights.

That being said, Gus is one hell of a fighter and I would love to see him face Johnson.

As far as DC's injury goes. Everyone has lingering injuries; do you guys remember when Jones needed surgery on his hand but opted out? 4 years later, still no surgery. Everybody hurts...........sometimes
    Last edited by CtGreat; 07-25-2014 at 01:23 AM.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    Another intelligent contribution by CTGreat.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Honestly, I would not be surprised at all if Johnson gets fast tracked into title contention after he beats Lil Nog. If he destroys Nog and fights another top 10 LHW, then he would quite possibly be ahead of Gus for a title shot; considering that Gus is coming off of an injury and has only won 1 fight against a top 10 opponent since 2012.
    Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    wouldnt it be hilarious if THE Anthony Johnson got a LHW title shot. If i told you that a year ago you would have laughed in my face. What happened to the LHW division...oh thats right, i know.

ps. you're about to open a whole can of worms with that Goose stat
    Rumble has been dominating for awhile even in WSoF, he's #5 in the division, he should of been fighting Glover right now instead of Lil Nog. If he gets a title shot its definitely not undeserving, to seal that fact tho give him 1 more fight after this with someone actually relevant to put someone in the contendership with a decisive victory. Rumble wrecks Lil Nog saturday and he WILL get his title shot soon enough. Rumble vs Jones would be fun, but I'd like to have him fight atleast 2 more high profile matchups to set his contention doubters minds straight.

I personally think Rumble beats Teixiera as well, I'll speak more on that after we see how he performs Saturday, but I am expecting we watch nothing less than domination from Johnson. It's funny how the tide has changed, there for awhile I was critical of him and a huge doubter with all his weight issues and misadventures with the lighter weight classes, but he has really turned things around at LHW. He's matured and grown very nicely as a Mixed Martial Artist, feel free to doubt him, I hope his performance will yet again speak for itself, as it should.
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

lets not forget Rumble got sub'd by the MW juicer Vitor Belfort.

Does anyone know how Gustafsson got injured? Or did I miss it somewhere in this nut huggers verse haters/haters verse nut huggers thread?

Edit: Nevermind, torn meniscus.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...nes-vs-cormier
    “I was sparring and I felt my knee pop twice, but it didn’t hurt, it just felt strange,” Gustafsson said. “I finished training and came home and then I woke up the next morning and I could barely walk on my right leg. Then I felt the knee right away.”

A trip to the doctor confirmed a torn meniscus in Gustafsson’s knee. The injury will require surgery, and the post-rehab work typically lasts anywhere between five and six weeks, depending on the individual.

I don't have the time or patience to quote all of the absurdity being spewed here but I'll highlight some things:

Dc has proven he can not only take a hw shot but he can ko hw's. Jones has not.
    Jones is a proven great fighter at lhw. Dc is not.
    Dc won the gathering of what was regarded as the greatest compilation of hw's at the time and many thought of all time.
    Jones has beaten an absolute who's who of lhw and done so convincingly.

Now, Bigfoot silva was finished 4 times by strikes. Once by big e pele who could kill a moose with a shot, once by dc, and twice by sheer volume by Cain. Personally, i cannot imagine any unbiased human being who has watched a Bigfoot fight questioning his chin but that's not the audience here.

I'm not sure dc will beat jones and would likely pick jones if I had to choose. However, most people discounted dc vs Barnett as well.

Also, I like vitor but Anthony Johnson had him until the ref changed the fight.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Fighting Jon Jones with a Jacked up knee is just a bad idea...for so many reasons.....Dumb Dumb Duuuuumb move by Cromier. He should have had his surgery and let it heal 100%. Nobody would have blamed him. Now should he lose, it's going to be the first excuse everyone goes to.....A jacked up knee vs "oblique kicks".....I wonder who wins that battle?
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joeodd2 View Post
    Fighting Jon Jones with a Jacked up knee is just a bad idea...for so many reasons.....Dumb Dumb Duuuuumb move by Cromier. He should have had his surgery and let it heal 100%. Nobody would have blamed him. Now should he lose, it's going to be the first excuse everyone goes to.....A jacked up knee vs "oblique kicks".....I wonder who wins that battle?
    He's in a tough spot. No doubt he'd like to have his surgery out of the way and be at 100% before challenging for the title. But he's not, and the opportunity has presented itself and he's grabbing it with both hands.

How much that has to do with working for an organisation whose President takes a dim view of fighters not 'stepping up' - and is not shy about voicing that opinion - I don't know. DC may very well remember how White portrayed Machida and Shogun in the media in the UFC150 fallout.

haha, awesome.

Yeah, cool comment to a guy whose father was murdered on thanksgiving.

Get a fucking grip.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Thread Information