Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 77

Thread: The UFC is about to launch the new Super Heavyweight

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY--->MIA
    Posts
    8,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Is a butterbeam like the yellow headlights you see on the giant trucks on the freeway?
    Third

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Desert.
    Posts
    2,440

    Default

    I'd rather see weight classes get smaller than get larger.
    If they made a SHW division the fights should be 2 rounds like TUF. Because I know I don't want to see 3 rounds of winded sloppy fighting.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

    Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

    "He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    19,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheIcon View Post
    Im not sure i see this happening any time soon. How many SHW are out there currently with any real skill? If anything this is a TUF project a couple years from now.
    Ya I cant see this happening any time soon. Shit, the HW division struggles with depth half the time... Can anyone name 5-10 UFC quality SHW fighters?
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY--->MIA
    Posts
    8,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Ya I cant see this happening any time soon. Shit, the HW division struggles with depth half the time... Can anyone name 5-10 UFC quality SHW fighters?
    Id assume some of the bigger UFC HWs would move up and some huge guys who have left the UFC like Christian Morecraft would come back same with Tim Sylvia.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    19,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Id assume some of the bigger UFC HWs would move up and some huge guys who have left the UFC like Christian Morecraft would come back same with Tim Sylvia.
    Do you think Morecraft and Sylvia at SHW are UFC quality fighters?

    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Id assume some of the bigger UFC HWs would move up and some huge guys who have left the UFC like Christian Morecraft would come back same with Tim Sylvia.
    If they move up might as well get rid of the HW division. Because it is pretty shallow currently.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Do you think Morecraft and Sylvia at SHW are UFC quality fighters?

    Def not. Not even gatekeeper quality.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    Id still rather see a 195, or a 220 lb division.
    This has been mentioned on the forums a few times over the years and tbh I hate it. I think there are already too many weight classes, I doubt casual fans can even name all the UFC champions anymore and that's an issue.

    I don't think there was a need to add 3 lighter weight classes, they could have condensed 125, 135 and 145 into two divisions which would have helped prevent the problems that exist at 125 where the talent pool is shallow and the division doesn't draw.

    At this moment in time I have no interest in a SHW division, I don't even know a single fighter who would be a legitimate candidate to compete in it. Let smaller organisations build the talent, allow the SHW ranks to grow and the skill of the average SHW fighter to evolve. In the future when/if these things have happened then the UFC can reassess their upper weight classes and decide whether a SHW division is warranted and will be a draw outside of those who view it as an intriguing freakshow attraction.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    284

    Default

    Before when they were headling fights with Brock and Overeem, I could see the need for a super heavyweight divison, to give the smaller fighters a chance. But now, I don't really see the need to when the best heavyweight and second best heavyweight walk around 240lbs.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,502

    Default

    I think it's the chicken and egg debate here.

    SHW COULD have been decent if they would have actually considered it when it was more opportune. Lesnar, Bigfoot, Hunt, Bobish, Palelei, Pele, McCorkle, etc etc.

    I think that was back in like 2009-2010 though.

    Granted, some names on there haven't panned out the way many had hoped but they would have been an ok start to a division and gained interest.

    I don't think it has the allure right now but if it became an option, the larger athletes with actual skills would start considering MMA rather than not having the option.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •