Thread: Matt Brown Is Ready For War

Default Matt Brown Is Ready For War

Matt Brown is ready for war. He is training harder than he ever has before as he prepares for the biggest fight of his life in a #1 contender bout at UFC on FOX 12 on July 26th. He has one game-plan when he steps into the octagon opposite Robbie Lawler: Kill or be killed. Here are some excerpts from that interview he did with The Great MMA Debate Podcast

ďI havenít trained this hard for any fight ever. Itís one of those things where Iím at the point now where I donít even give a (expletive) anymore. Iím just ready to go in there and fight. Itís at that point. Iíve been training so hard for so long for this fight that Iím just ready to finish this (expletive).Ē

ďThatís why this fight was made, because heís like that, too.I think weíre going to find out (Saturday) if heís really like that or not. I donít know if he just likes fighting because heís a warrior or he likes fighting because he doesnít know what else to do. One thing about Lawler is he likes to stay on the feet; he likes to bang. He better (expletive) knock me out or Iím going to knock him out. Itís going to be one or the other. He better knock me out.Ē

ďThatís one thing I like to pride myself on is I donít know if Iím going to win or lose in any fight, but I do know that Iím going to test you. The last day of my life is (UFC on FOX 12). I donít have any idea whatís going to happen. Iím not looking past July 26.Ē

An interesting note of the article at MMA Weekly is that Brown brought in Ben Askren to train with him.
    http://www.mmanews.com/matt-brown-ready-war/

Anyone think this could be a ploy by Brown to get Lawler thinking he's going to stand and bang? Bringing in Askren could be Brown training his defensive wrestling to keep the fight standing, or maybe he's planning to take Lawler down.

I know it's probably like a 95% chance Brown will do what he says, go toe-to-toe with lawler until someone drops. But is that the smart move? He's waited so long for a title shot, evolved so much, and he's so close to it now. Even if he were to take Lawler down and hold him there for 25 minutes, would the UFC really deny him a title shot? With what would be an 8 fight win streak if he were to win?

Howdy Folks! You like blood? Violence? Freaks of nature? Well then, come on down to Captain Spaulding's Museum of Monsters and Mad-Men. See the Alligator Boy, ride my famous Murder Ride. Most of all, don't forget to take home some of my tasty fried chicken! Ha ha! It just tastes so damn good!

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I wanted to watch two fat guys stare at each other huffing and puffing

I am not being a dick here but where has he "evolved so much?"

I still see a guy who plods straight forward and crowds guys who need space to get off shots. Silva, Pyle, Swick, etc.

The Mein fight was probably his best IMO as he had to actually use different skills but I've still not seen any great evolution in him. I've simply seen him either come straight forward or outlast his opponent.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I am not being a dick here but where has he "evolved so much?"

I still see a guy who plods straight forward and crowds guys who need space to get off shots. Silva, Pyle, Swick, etc.

The Mein fight was probably his best IMO as he had to actually use different skills but I've still not seen any great evolution in him. I've simply seen him either come straight forward or outlast his opponent.
    Yea, true. He does kinda still fight the same style. I would say his sub defense, as that was his achilles heel before the win streak. But I can't really remember anyone testing that recently. Didn't Silva get close to choking him out?

Howdy Folks! You like blood? Violence? Freaks of nature? Well then, come on down to Captain Spaulding's Museum of Monsters and Mad-Men. See the Alligator Boy, ride my famous Murder Ride. Most of all, don't forget to take home some of my tasty fried chicken! Ha ha! It just tastes so damn good!

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I wanted to watch two fat guys stare at each other huffing and puffing

Could Brown even take Lawler down? Lawler is no slouch in wrestling and Brown as I recall has not shown much offensive wrestling. I won't be able to see this fight and it is killing me but I have a family event that I will not miss for anything that night. I'm pulling for Lawler big time here!
    FW-Hominick, Weichel
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

I see Lawler punishing Brown in this fight.
    I just do not see Brown making Lawler quit or breaking him as he can do to others.

Those who do not appreciate life, do not deserve life.

Thread Information