Thread: Dana White Loves Stefan Struve, but Hes Concerned About Giving Him Another Fight

Default Dana White Loves Stefan Struve, but Hes Concerned About Giving Him Another Fight

UFC heavyweight Stefan Struves story is one of perseverance. The seven-foot-tall Ditch fighter made his promotional debut three days after turning 21 at UFC 95 in 2009. Hes put together a 9-4 record inside the Octagon, and his four losses have been to top ten-ranked competition.

After being diagnosed with a leaking aortic valve and an enlarged heart in August 2013, the 26-year-olds aspirations of becoming a UFC champion were seemingly dashed. He refused to accept that possibility and never wavered from his belief that hed someday return to fighting.

Struve overcame the odds and was cleared by doctors in April to fight again. The top fifteen-ranked heavyweight was offered a fight against Matt Mitrione at UFC 175 and was medically cleared by the Nevada Athletic Commission. They officially made weight on Independence Day for the July 5 event.

While warming up prior to the fight, Struve suffered a panic attack and became light headed. His blood pressure dropped and his return bout was nixed from the card just before the broadcast went live on pay-per-view.

The good news is that Struve is healthy. The incident wasnt heart related.

Stefan is okay as far as I know. Everything is good. He wants to fight. He wants to sit down and talk, said UFC president Dana White while in Dublin for UFC Fight Night 46 on July 19. Hes been cleared to fight. It wasnt his physical; it was his mental that night I think.

The bad news is, Struve could be a liability to a future fight card. A fight dropping off the main card moments before a broadcast is a nightmare scenario for a promotion.

While White is fond of the one-time heavyweight contender, hes concerned about giving him another fight.

I love Stefan Struve. I love the kid, said White. He had this issue, and Im sure hes nervous about his health. So well see. He cant do that again. That cant happen again.
    https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/dan...8682--mma.html

I like Struve. He is a very exciting fighter. I would love to see him fight again, but I don't want to see him hurt. Big risk on the UFC to put him on another card. Kind of a weird feeling on wanting to enjoy a fighter you like to watch, but also not wanting to see him risk his health.

If Stefan is cleared by the doctors and want to fight, let him fight. The incedent just happen cause he was nervous. He had not fought in a while and with everthing he had to over come, I'm not surprised this happened. personally I feel the UFC screwed up. They should have given struve a lesser opponent on the under card to see how he dose. Instead they put in on the main card against Matt Mitrione. Sure Matt not a top 10 fighter or anything but he no warm up fight either and that what I think Struve needs, a ware up fight or 2. If the UFC dosent want to give him a few warm up fights. Let him fight at a few small shows until he builds his Confidence back up but keep him under contract Thoughts?
    Last edited by The Sword; 07-24-2014 at 02:46 PM.

1st Degree Black Belt American Kickboxing
    Belt: 2010 W.K.K.O U.S. Tournament Runner Up 132lbs.
    Silver Medal: 2011 W.K.A North American Tournament Runner Up 141lbs

the ufc has enough fighters to give him a warm up fight. i don't think they should let him go, but i can see why they would be concerned with contracting him another fight again. struve just needs some encouragement and a gimme fight to get his feet wet again. i hope he can pull it together.
    Come check out my video game stream!
    http://www.twitch.tv/el_dpay

Just put his next fight on Fightpass, no one will be watching anyway so it won't be a "big risk".

I still worry he is going to look like Roger Ebert.

People can say it was just nerves and I get that. However when you are running a business you can't say ooops he is nervous we have to cancel the fight because his heart is racing. That doesn't make business sense. You need fighters you can depend on. Thus I get Dana. He likes the GUY. But you also need to depend on him because its a business he is trying to run not a nice guy retreat.

If anything I think he will have even more nerves next time. If you were nervous before how nervous are you going to be after realizing you were so nervous before you had to go to the hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sword View Post
    If Stefan is cleared by the doctors and want to fight, let him fight. The incedent just happen cause he was nervous. He had not fought in a while and with everthing he had to over come, I'm not surprised this happened. personally I feel the UFC screwed up. They should have given struve a lesser opponent on the under card to see how he dose. Instead they put in on the main card against Matt Mitrione. Sure Matt not a top 10 fighter or anything but he no warm up fight either and that what I think Struve needs, a ware up fight or 2. If the UFC dosent want to give him a few warm up fights. Let him fight at a few small shows until he builds his Confidence back up but keep him under contract Thoughts?
    Agreed 100%.

8. Default

Id say a sit-down with stefan is whats in order here. If I was in Zuffa's shoes, Id offer Struve an undercard fight, or a tv card fight low on the card that could be replaced by an undercard fight if needed. Struve would also need to understand that as unfortunate as it is, this is a last chance (medically) with the UFC. Regardless of the reasons, he's had two medical issues serious enough to cancel fights over lately. Once more, and I cant see him being useful(I hate that word in this situation, but I cant think of a better one at the moment.) to the UFC anymore. I love struve, love watching him fight, but I have no desire to see him die trying to entertain fans.

Thread Information