Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rory MacDonald and Tarec Saffiedin in the works for the Fight Night card in Halifax

Quote Originally Posted by dan the man 67 View Post
    Is it only me, or does Rory have nothing to gain from this fight? It doesn't make sense to me. Tarec may deserve a higher ranking than his number 10 positioning on UFC's list, but he should fight someone maybe somewhere between Rory and himself before being given a fight with the number 2.
    No one else really for Rory to fight at this point though Lombard and Condit aren't options with their injuries, pretty much he's fought everyone else in the top 10 last couple years and won or they have matches with other opponents. Outside of waiting for Brown who probably wouldn't be ready to fight for this card there really is no one else

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    No one else really for Rory to fight at this point though Lombard and Condit aren't options with their injuries, pretty much he's fought everyone else in the top 10 last couple years and won or they have matches with other opponents. Outside of waiting for Brown who probably wouldn't be ready to fight for this card there really is no one else
    How about Maia or Ellenberger?

I guess it is what it is. This is a massive gift to Tarec, for if he wins, it would probably catapult him into the top 5. Where would that leave Rory? From being next for a title shot to being at least 1 fight away?

Nevertheless, I think Rory takes it without too much trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by dan the man 67 View Post
    How about Maia or Ellenberger?

I guess it is what it is. This is a massive gift to Tarec, for if he wins, it would probably catapult him into the top 5. Where would that leave Rory? From being next for a title shot to being at least 1 fight away?

Nevertheless, I think Rory takes it without too much trouble.
    I was thinking of opponents for Rory he has no viable opponents in the top 10 outside of Saffedine at this point and to stay next in line he needs a fight and win. tying up Saffedine with a fight elsewhere leaves Rory on the shelf

Saffiedine: Rory MacDonald has no kickboxing, won't be able to take me down
    http://www.mmamania.com/2014/8/11/59...ke-me-down-mma
    From his conversation with Submission Radio:

"You are as good as your last fight, right? So when I watch his fight against Tyron, you know he did good, nothing to take away from him, but while I was watching that fight, man I was like 'man I can beat that guy.' The way he moves, the way he throws his punches, the way he set up his kicks, the way he sets up take downs, you know I truly believe I have the skills and the mindset to beat him, and that is one of the reasons I asked for that fight as well. And you know, he's a technical fighter, he can keep the same pace as the fight goes on, he has no kickboxing, his kicks are okay, his wrestling's not bad, but I don't think he's going to be able to take me down. And I think you know, I match up pretty well with him as far as technique. If I've got a good game plan, and I have a pretty good idea of what I'm gonna do, If I stick to it, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the W. And you know after that W, definitely that will put me right there in the mix."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I believe Saffiedine has a real good chance as well. I like Rory, but I love the mix up and I'm pulling for Tarec.

Thread Information