Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TNA's 'Impact Wrestling' Will Reportedly Not Be Renewed by Spike TV

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Well, TNA didn't really need to worry about Jarrett's new company swooping in and taking the SPIKE TV deal, since part of Jarrett's exit from TNA included a no-compete clause to the effect that Jarrett's new company couldn't poach the SPIKE timeslot.
    I meant their spot as the 2nd biggest US wrestling promotion, not their literal timeslot. If Jarrett does that then the appeal of TNA to potential TV networks diminishes, as you alluded to later in your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    They put on a tremendous in-ring product, but they've stagnated from a production standpoint and are majorly hindered by their owners, Sinclair Broadcasting, who have not appropriately invested in the company to improve it.

For my money, New Japan has the best top to bottom wrestling in the world and ROH is a good North American alternative to WWE but the booking is pretty shoddy at times and comes off as very minor league the way they shoot and produce their shows.
    New Japan is awesome, probably the best in-ring product in the world. If they could get a Western TV deal then it would make their show a lot more accessible and English commentary would help a lot also. I have never been a massive RoH fan but from the outside looking in they seem to have gone backwards in some ways, they don't have the same hype around them that they had when Joe, Punk, Danielson, Morishima or McGuinness were on top.

"With great power comes great responsibility."

Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

I never once thought I would see the day where I would wish Jarrett was in control of anything but my goodness when Jarrett lost control TNA began to suck.
    I used to love TNA and maybe I loved them so much because they truly reminded me of ECW when they birthed into the amazing pool of talent and org that they were. But TNA tried to go and be WWE light and shot itself in the damn foot time after time. They had great in house talent and TNA would bring in a guy and just let them shit on the in house talent.
    I hate that this has happened but my goodness it has been a dying organization for some time now, I think it is time to take it off of life support.

Those who do not appreciate life, do not deserve life.

I blame Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I blame Russo
    Fixed ;-)

Bischoff just did a shoot with RF Video, should be an interesting five hours of utter lies and one reeeeeeally sleazy story involving the Cheetah Club scandal in Atlanta.

Speaking of Russo...

Vince Russo is one of the most divisive characters in the history of professional wrestling. And I don't mean "characters" as in "on-screen personas." Russo is a character from when he wakes up in the morning until he goes to sleep.

He was the creative (sometimes overly creative) force that drove the Attitude Era to new heights for the WWE. It was his brand of crash television that—when applied to professional wrestling—created pure gold. His hot temper, competitive fire and unrelenting creativity eventually burned bridges on his way out the door of the then-WWF and sent him packing to WCW for a few years that we'd all rather forget happened.

Russo, who has more or less been in exile from pro wrestling aside from a short stint with TNA, has become increasingly vocal on the state of the current WWE product. Having sat in the back and written the scripts, he knows what it takes and the players involved in the decision-making process.

Finally, he had enough and penned an open letter to Vince and Stephanie McMahon and Triple H that is posted on his website.

To put it bluntly, he absolutely nails it:

The job is not easy, I understand that, and nobody can be criticized for TRYING and giving their BEST EFFORT—nobody. But...the question I have to ask is: Is what we see every Monday Night honestly and truly your best effort? I just know that having worked with all three of you in the past, I don't think any of us would have been satisfied, or even ALLOWED last night's show to air in its final form. Are we seriously not better than that? What happened to our mantra during the Attitude Era when this week's show was going to be better than last weeks? Remember that, Vince?
    This point was brought up by Russo himself during The Monday Night War on the WWE Network. He states that it was a running competition, not just between WWF and WCW, but between WWF writers and themselves to make each week better than the last. There was a sense of urgency and passion in the product that we do not see today.

On a weekly basis, WWE delivers filler segments by the handful. If you are a Network subscriber, go back and watch episodes of Raw from the Attitude Era or even the early 2000s. These were two-hour broadcasts packed with more substantive storytelling and plot development than any single episode of Raw has in years.

There were ongoing storylines that carried through the show via backstage segments that lasted no more than 10 seconds but offered a glimpse into the drama. Storylines overlapped as characters formed relationships and bonds that may or may not impact a specific show but developed backstory that could be utilized later.

There is no sense of long-term planning in the WWE. Characters start and stop, gain momentum and are shot down, and the only person consistently booked on the show is John Cena despite ever-growing discontent from live audiences.

Russo continued:

Look—we all love wrestling, we are all HUGE fans of the WWE and in all truthfulness—WE WANT TO LIKE THE SHOW!!! But, you just make it so difficult. Asking anybody to sit through three hours of what you're currently putting on the air is not only asking too much...but, it's also unfair.
    This may be the most upsetting part of the fan experience with the WWE. We know it's the biggest game in town. We know that the history and gravitas can only come from this company at this moment. We know that the best talent in the world is on the WWE roster and that if there is a super talented guy on the independent scene, he's likely going to get snatched up for NXT.

The roster right now is, as Russo says, "unbelievable." It's not unbelievable in the way the roster from 2002-2004 was stacked with the biggest stars from the biggest era in wrestling history, as the top names of WCW, ECW and the WWF Attitude Era all converged onto a single roster.

From a talent standpoint, it's the best it has been in years. The in-ring talent, the natural charisma, the loaded midcard is all there just waiting to erupt, but it can't because of company's dedication to make sure we only pay to see Cena while using what seemed like the entire three hours to promote the season debut of Total Divas.

"Vince, Stephanie, Triple H, YES we will always be here no matter what," Russo wrote. "We support you, and we support the WWE, but the truth is...we deserve better. And, deep down inside I know that you know that."

When we see great talent outside of the WWE, we want to see it make the jump to "the big leagues." We recognize that the company is the standard bearer. We—fans who read Bleacher Report, Pro Wrestling Insider, PWTorch or any of online wrestling news site—aren't going anywhere.

We are the ones who buy the WWE Network subscriptions. The WWE is putting its entire economic future in the basket of the Network that is driven by old-school, hardcore fans who want to see past pay-per-views, documentaries and other historical footage.

Then when we watch Raw, we are not represented. The fans of yesteryear who are wrestling fans first and foremost are ignored by the current product that is only interested in kids buying Cena merchandise.

WWE is essentially taunting its old fans, trying to get them to pay for what they used to love while force-feeding them "Growing Up Bella" segments that make us want to change the channel.

The guy holding the "I could be watching Nitro right now" sign at Raw on Monday night probably should've stayed home instead of paying to see the show live.

Honestly, Russo has told so many lies, contradictions and fabrications over the years and is SUCH a complete fucking pariah in the business, that at this point he's just screaming for any attention whatsoever and begging for page views.

He's not a real wrestling fan and never was, is incredibly uneducated in how to book properly and milked the last money mark out of business after already drowning WCW. For every fuck up he's ever had, he's thrown out a dozen different excuses as to why it wasn't his fault, with each excuse differing from the last. Russo's a complete piece of shit, a discredit to his species and should never be involved in wrestling. He's trolling all the time now and is "working" the fans because he has nowhere left to be a parasite, like a worse version of Mark Madden, which is somehow possible.

Monday's RAW really did suck and the current booking is dumb, but i guarantee that if Russo had the book for WWE in any reasonable capacity, it would be infinitely worse and I cannot stress that enough. RAW would flat-out be cancelled, so whatever he's saying, my unanimous response is, was and always will be "FUCK RUSSO".

Agreed.

And now that MNF is back, the WWE really needs to step its game up.

Thread Information