Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Silva vs Diaz Jan 31st

Quote Originally Posted by initial_zen View Post
    Silva ate a pig punch
    He definitely has a chin. Not anyone can survive a pig punch!!!

Not only brazilians can do this stuff

am i the only one who DIDNT miss hearing Cesar Gracie talk...

No one missed that. Cesar Gracie should not be allowed to ever talk in public again.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    No one missed that. Cesar Gracie should not be allowed to ever talk in public again.
    Him and Ed Soares have a lot in common.

Anderson Silva 'dying to return to the octagon' but says fighting for a title not a priority right now
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/08/anderso...rity-right-now
    “I’m just dying to return to the octagon and do the thing that I most love in my life, and that’s happening right now,” Silva said on a Friday media call.

Silva, of course, has been inactive since a December loss to Chris Weidman in which “The Spider” suffered a gruesome broken leg when his opponent checked a low kick. While the injury could have easily signaled the end of the 39-year-old’s career, Silva always vowed to come back.

He’ll look to make good on that promise in January, when he meets Nick Diaz in the main event of UFC 183 in Las Vegas.

When the bout was announced, UFC President Dana White said Diaz could potentially earn himself a title shot with an impressive win in the superfight, it’s hard to imagine Silva would get the same consideration after dropping consecutive fights to Weidman. It’s a reality not lost on Silva, who says he’s not ruling out a future return to the top of the division but knows there’s no reason to worry about that right now.

“I have another seven fights on my contract,” Silva said. “Obviously, right now it’s not my priority. It’s out of the question to fight for the title. But along those seven fights, if I have the credentials to fight for the title, I’ll be more than glad to do it.”

Silva, who has been diligently rehabbing his surgically repaired leg (which gains added support from a metal rod that has been inserted into the limb), said he’s kept his eye on the middleweight division during his absence. And while the weight class was once considered a little barren, an opinion largely colored by Silva’s incredible 10-consecutive title defenses, the former champ said it’s now one of the deepest in the sport.

“Chris Weidman is showing that he’s a great champion,” Silva said. “He’s very talented. The guy is for real, but there’s no doubt that it’s a stacked weight class now with (Ronaldo) “Jacare” (Souza), Luke Rockhold, Vitor Belfort. … The category is only getting better.”

Despite the consecutive losses, Silva’s upcoming bout with Diaz is one of the most anticipated main events lurking on the horizon. Stylistically, the two are among the most skilled strikers in the sport, and Silva believes the two will combine for real fireworks.

“I believe it’s going to be one of the best standup battles in the history of the UFC,” Silva said.

But what comes next simply isn’t a priority for Silva right now. He’s hoping to finish the remaining seven fights on his deal, even as his 40th birthday rapidly approaches, but he knows there are no guarantees in the fight game.

“Only time will tell,” Silva told MMAjunkie. “I’m really focused on this fight right now, and it has nothing to do with the other fights on my contract.”
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Anderson Silva: My leg is at 95 percent, will be 100 percent for Nick Diaz fight
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/08/anderso...ick-diaz-fight
    “I’ve been doing a lot of physical therapy, and right now, it’s at 95 percent and improving,” the ex-middleweight champ said via his translator and co-manager, Jorge Guimaraes, during a teleconference in support of his headliner opposite Nick Diaz (26-9 MMA, 7-6 UFC)at UFC 183, which takes place Jan. 31 in Las Vegas.

“On the day of the fight, it’s going to be 100 percent,” Silva added.

Six months after breaking his tibia in a UFC 168 title rematch against current champ Chris Weidman, Silva, 39, was cleared in May by doctors to resume training. A titanium rod affixed to his broken limb to aid its healing remains in place.

During his injury layoff, the ex-champ underwent intensive recuperative work on his broken limb under the supervision of the renowned Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic in Los Angeles. Less than two months ago, in late June, he was cleared to resume sparring, and more importantly, kicking.

Silva, who resides in Los Angeles, said he isn’t kicking as hard as he used to and joked, “I’m going to wait to kick hard on the day of the fight.” But despite the trauma associated with the injury, which came in the second round of the fight when he threw a leg kick that was checked by Weidman, he said he felt no fear or hesitation in using his damaged limb. He instead spoke generally about an awareness of what he’s been through in the past eight months.

“I recall everything since the beginning, all the phases of my career,” he told MMAjunkie. “It makes me what I am today, and I just keep going with my career.”

And yet, “The Spider,” whose long limbs make for punishing weapons, made it clear that he will use every aid possible in protecting his leg. The titanium rod will stay in place for his fight with Diaz, and it will remain for the forseeable future.

“It will come out if I decide to, but prior to this fight, not a chance,” Silva said. “Some people, they remove it, but it hasn’t been bothering me, so I don’t think I’m going to remove it.”

It’s unclear whether Silva will face any additional scrutiny from UFC 183’s overseeing athletic commission, the Nevada State Athletic Commission, on the issue of whether the titanium limb might further endanger his safety or alternately provide him with an unfair advantage in competition. A request for comment wasn’t immediately returned.

Silva is nonetheless moving forward with his career, even though he admitted his family was worried about his safety when he decided to return to active competition.

“I don’t think anybody’s family would like to see their family member going to war,” he said,” and with mine, it wouldn’t be different.”
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    He definitely has a chin. Not anyone can survive a pig punch!!!

Haha! I was in a strip club watching boxing once (What!? Isn't that what you do in strip clubs?) and missed an entire Butterbean fight because the waitress brought me a beer and I looked at her to say thanks!

OT, I don't see any way Diaz can win the fight. Maybe he pulls something off if Silva is dumb enough to take him down, but I can't imagine Diaz taking Silva down. A relatively slow guy with a good chin and an even bigger reach advantage than normal seems like a recipe for Anderson Silva .gif fodder.

Thread Information