Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Machida Calls out Luke Rockhold For October Bout

Machida is like the kind of fighter that would beat anyone except the current champion (Like Belfort)
    I would love to see him with a championship again, but I do not think it is possible.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

sevicrane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by initial_zen View Post
    I kind of disagree. I think the reason Machida was able to turn it up so much was because Weidman started to slow down a little bit as the fight went on. Also, even though he started to land more shots, when he turning up the aggression, he started to eat a lot more shots as well. It would have been a dangerous game to come out fighting like he did in the fourth, against a fresh Weidman. On the flip side, I really do hope Lyoto is able to earn another shot and hopefully find a way to win the belt.
    completely agree with you and also hope machida become champ again!

3. Default

I'm for the fight to see Rockhold get some name his loss to Belfort hurt his name bad. A win over Machida would be huge and if Machida uses the same game plan he has a shot IMO

Bad ass fight. This would put either guy in the title picture.

Quote Originally Posted by initial_zen View Post
    I kind of disagree. I think the reason Machida was able to turn it up so much was because Weidman started to slow down a little bit as the fight went on. Also, even though he started to land more shots, when he turning up the aggression, he started to eat a lot more shots as well. It would have been a dangerous game to come out fighting like he did in the fourth, against a fresh Weidman. On the flip side, I really do hope Lyoto is able to earn another shot and hopefully find a way to win the belt.
    I agree with you that Weidman slowed down but so did Machida a bit. Plus he fought not only aggressive but a bit desperately. I don't think he'd eat as many shots if he didn't feel like he needed a finish. Weidman had a great gameplan, I just think Machida should have at least adjusted after the second round rather than the third.

I like the Rockhold fight but would hate to see either guy lose.

Machida will never wear UFC gold again. He wont be ultra aggressive, because that simply isnt his style. Old dogs rarely learn new tricks
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Machida will never wear UFC gold again. He wont be ultra aggressive, because that simply isnt his style. Old dogs rarely learn new tricks
    Very true about seasoned fighters not learning new tricks in MMA. Chuck used the takedown late in the Wanderlei fight but never incorporated take downs as his career was reaching his final run which could have helped the end of that stretch. Hendo has used less tricks rather than learning new ones. Fedor never sought BJJ expertise that I know of. Matt Hughes did improve his stand-up as he aged I suppose, even if it wasn't top of the food chain striking. Not sure if Nick Diaz every sought to get wrestling/defensive wrestling incorporated into his arsenal.

Not sure how accurate I am with the above, but would love to hear thoughts on that and/or other examples...

Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post
    Very true about seasoned fighters not learning new tricks in MMA. Chuck used the takedown late in the Wanderlei fight but never incorporated take downs as his career was reaching his final run which could have helped the end of that stretch. Hendo has used less tricks rather than learning new ones. Fedor never sought BJJ expertise that I know of. Matt Hughes did improve his stand-up as he aged I suppose, even if it wasn't top of the food chain striking. Not sure if Nick Diaz every sought to get wrestling/defensive wrestling incorporated into his arsenal.

Not sure how accurate I am with the above, but would love to hear thoughts on that and/or other examples...
    Not everyone though. Look at Belfort incorporating kicks, Jacare has improved his striking, Even Shogun was actually using jabs ands straights before getting caught by Hendo. Machida isn't as arrogant and lazy as say Rampage, Nick, or any of those guys imo

Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post

Nick would never use that "bitch ass" wrestling stuff even if he took the time to learn it. You are right on about Chuck though he needed to adjust things towards the end of his career once the competition level went up and guys figured out his striking. Both Hendo and Fedor became way to reliant on the knockout with the right hand for the later pars of their career.

The one guy who gets a lot of flak on here for not adjusting and rightfully so is BJ Penn. He did it once in the Fitch fight where he added in some wrestling by training with Hughes but his cardio hurt him again.

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    Not everyone though. Look at Belfort incorporating kicks, Jacare has improved his striking, Even Shogun was actually using jabs ands straights before getting caught by Hendo. Machida isn't as arrogant and lazy as say Rampage, Nick, or any of those guys imo
    Good examples of evolving.

As for Machida definitely not lazy but it will always come down to his defensive mindset and and wanting to counter. It just seems like he doesn't realize that he is capable of being better then the other guy even as the aggressor or fighting in the pocket.

Machida is on the downswing of his career.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Thread Information