Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sources: Donald cerrone-eddie alvarez lightweight bout targeted for ufc 178

Default Sources: Donald cerrone-eddie alvarez lightweight bout targeted for ufc 178

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Sou...-UFC-178-71373

A loaded UFC 178 lineup could get even more interesting, as a bout between streaking lightweight Donald Cerrone and Bellator MMA 155-pound kingpin Eddie Alvarez has been targeted for the Sept. 27 event.

Sources close to the bout who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the matchup had not yet been finalized confirmed the news to Sherdog.com. The bout is contingent on the UFC acquiring Alvarez’s services from Bellator. Negotiations are ongoing because Alvarez currently remains under Bellator contract at the time of this writing.

UFC 178 takes place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Sept. 27 and is headlined by a light heavyweight title clash between Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier. The card also includes a key featherweight tilt pitting Conor McGregor against Dustin Poirier.

Alvarez has spent the last four years competing for Bellator MMA. He captured the promotion’s lightweight title for a second time in his most recent outing with a split-decision triumph over Michael Chandler at Bellator 106 this past November. The 30-year-old Blackzilians representative had major contract issues with Bellator last year, as the two parties went to court to settle a dispute that began when Alvarez’s deal expired in October 2012.

After approximately eight months, Alvarez reached a settlement and signed a new deal with the promotion, which cleared the way for his rematch with Chandler last year. The Philadelphia native was to have met Chandler for a third time at Bellator’s inaugural pay-per-view event in May but had to withdraw after suffering a concussion in training.

Cerrone, meanwhile, is one of the hottest fighters in the lightweight division. The Jackson-Wink MMA standout has won four straight fights since December 2013, posting finishes against Evan Dunham, Adriano Martins, Edson Barboza and Jim Miller.
    Holy shit fight fans! This is huge news and I hope to God it's true. If this does turn out to be legit, it should determine who's next in line.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I'm interested to know how the UFC could aquire Alvarez given that he is under contract.

Cool rumor, but I thought sharedog was newbjacked.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by LordCC View Post
    I'm interested to know how the UFC could aquire Alvarez given that he is under contract.
    I imagine Bellator would have to release him from his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Really? I thought sherdog was actually a pretty credible source. Anyway I know its just a rumor so I understand if it's newbjacked.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

It'd be a nice fight but I highly doubt that Bellator releases Eddie from his contract unless he beats Chandler again. They're contractually obligated to at that point, at least. It'd be a cool move of good faith from Coker though.

I highly doubt it. Unless maybe its possible the ufc could buy out his contract.

This would be a great fight if true.

I can't see this happening right now. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but if Eddie signs with the UFC, it'll be sometime next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Could be Coker trying to redeem some faith from fighters, showing that he'll play ball with opptys. I think WSOF had to do something similar and I think it makes it easier to negotiate with fighters who ultimately want to get to the UFC. But that's just a guess.

Frontrow Brian mentioned something to this extent last weekend and Meltzer followed up FRB's comments this past Sunday morning, saying that the UFC had contacted Jones's people to say that they were adding a huge fight to his undercard that would really assist in increasing buys and that it wasn't a fight you'd think of (Cyborg debut, JDS, Nick etc).

With Coker in charge, if he "gets" the Eddie situation and is clever enough to realize that he could have a LW champion leave the organization POTENTIALLY with two consecutive wins over their main LW star(Chandler) or take the interim title from Brooks and then book having taken out both titles, heavily devaluing the belts for their remaining stars....I think it might be a safe bet if Coker has concerns that Eddie will win another and leave anyways with the belt.

That said, if Coker thinks Chandler can really win a rubber match, it's a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Nah just bjpenn.com and mmabay I believe. Also anything from King Nate.

Thread Information