Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Fedor: If I was in my prime, I'd want to fight Cain

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    So much to dispute my opinion yet you couldn't name one lol. Run along now child, I'm not gonna bother with a moron who actually started getting personal on these forums with BK.
    Wait, what?

Quote Originally Posted by initial_zen View Post
    Uhhh.. just no. But on topic. Cain at heavyweight is a lot like Edgar was at ww. They are both pretty small for their weight classes, but they are much quicker than the rest of the people in it. Add that in with better conditioning and good wresting and they just give fits to all the people in their divisions. With Fedor, Cain's usually huge speed advantage and superior gas tank are no longer relevant, so I have no idea how it would play out. I'm not saying a prime Fedor would beat Cain, but it would be a great match up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    Really? Who??
    JDS and Antonio Silva come to mind. And he is about to face Fabricio Werdum. If Antonio Silva dominated Fedor, imagine what Cain would do. I do not think that had anything to do with diminished skills, it had everything to do with holes in his game that he just chose to never fix because what he was doing was working. Like I said before, Fedor was great in his time. You put him in the ring/octagon with any of these new breed great heavyweights, he will get demolished; in his prime or not. They have more all around skills than fighters did back then. It goes with any sport, I really do not think Mickey Mantle would be able to make a professional baseball team if he were living in this era. Athletes get better. It was essentially easy for Fedor to make his striking look good against the likes of Mark Coleman; it was easy to make his submission game look good against the likes of Hong-man Choi and Mark Hunt; and it was easy for him to make his wrestling game look good against the likes of Crocop and Nogueira. If he were to go against people who have all around games, he would have a hard time. Which he showed.

Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post
    Very hard to predict the results of a prime Fedor vs a prime Cain. It would absolutely be a war. I think if Fedor kept some distance he'd land a knockout. Cain would likely take a decision by controlling the ground game.
    As stated before, in a cage under unified rules this would be the likely outcome.

JDS and Antonio Silva come to mind.
    I am sorry but JDS and specially BigFoot are not better fighters than Fedor.
    Both of them are one dimensional. JDS has his boxing, and BigFoot has his size. But overall Fedor was a much more complete fighter than them.

Also you should know that MMA math is BS, you can't say "If Bigfoot destroyed Fedor and Cain destroyed Bigfoot, imagine what Cain would do to Fedor", because styles make fights and it has been proved several times why MMA math does not work.

It was essentially easy for Fedor to make his striking look good against the likes of Mark Coleman; it was easy to make his submission game look good against the likes of Hong-man Choi and Mark Hunt; and it was easy for him to make his wrestling game look good against the likes of Crocop and Nogueira. If he were to go against people who have all around games, he would have a hard time. Which he showed.
    His striking looked good not only against Coleman. It looked good against K1 champions like Mirko or Hunt.
    He dominated in the ground Minotauro, and at the time no one wanted to go to the ground with Nogueira.
    He defeated fighters like Sylvia and Arlovksi. Now you hear about them and you think "pfff they are nothing special", but in 2008-2009 they both were in the Top 5 and many people thought that they would beat Fedor.

He submitted in 50 seconds an Olympic Judo silver medallist.
    He absolutely destroyed Heath Herring, who at the time was one of the best fighters.

Before the Werdum fight, the only time in his career where he was in deep trouble was when Fujita rocked him with that punch. Other than that, Fedor was never in serious trouble.
    He had some tough moments but he was never knocked down, or almost submitted.

I agree that fighters today are way more complete than 10 years ago, but I am pretty sure that Fedor would be very competitive against fighters of today.
    Or you seriously think that he can not beat Frank Mir or Josh Barnett or Roy Nelson?
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Anyone ever see that hypothetical Ali vs Marciano fight? Would love to see a similar one with Fedor vs Velasquez

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    I am sorry but JDS and specially BigFoot are not better fighters than Fedor.
    Both of them are one dimensional. JDS has his boxing, and BigFoot has his size. But overall Fedor was a much more complete fighter than them.

Also you should know that MMA math is BS, you can't say "If Bigfoot destroyed Fedor and Cain destroyed Bigfoot, imagine what Cain would do to Fedor", because styles make fights and it has been proved several times why MMA math does not work.

His striking looked good not only against Coleman. It looked good against K1 champions like Mirko or Hunt.
    He dominated in the ground Minotauro, and at the time no one wanted to go to the ground with Nogueira.
    He defeated fighters like Sylvia and Arlovksi. Now you hear about them and you think "pfff they are nothing special", but in 2008-2009 they both were in the Top 5 and many people thought that they would beat Fedor.

He submitted in 50 seconds an Olympic Judo silver medallist.
    He absolutely destroyed Heath Herring, who at the time was one of the best fighters.

Before the Werdum fight, the only time in his career where he was in deep trouble was when Fujita rocked him with that punch. Other than that, Fedor was never in serious trouble.
    He had some tough moments but he was never knocked down, or almost submitted.

I agree that fighters today are way more complete than 10 years ago, but I am pretty sure that Fedor would be very competitive against fighters of today.
    Or you seriously think that he can not beat Frank Mir or Josh Barnett or Roy Nelson?
    Agree Pashak.

Fedor was the first complete fighter that had no real weaknesses, great standup, great sambo/wrestling, great subs, great defense and rarely seemed in trouble. The only thing was he didn't compete against any other complete fighters, that IMO affected his growth as a fighter.

When the other HW's started improving other aspects of their game he was still able to hang with them but looked a bit more vulnerable, like in the Brett Rogers fight where he seemed massively undersized and overmatched in the 1st round.

Bigfoot showed the world the best way to beat Fedor was to smother him and hit him with Ground and Pound, as long as you had reasonable BJJ defence you would win.

Still to this day think the Hendo win was a fluke but props to Hendo.

However, and I expect to get flamed for this, I think if he had fought Lesnar before the 1st bout of illness Lesnar had, he would have lost in a similar fashion to how he lost to Bigfoot, same would have happened with Cain and possibly even Shane Carwin as well.
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by mmafan111 View Post
    Agree Pashak.

Fedor was the first complete fighter that had no real weaknesses, great standup, great sambo/wrestling, great subs, great defense and rarely seemed in trouble. The only thing was he didn't compete against any other complete fighters, that IMO affected his growth as a fighter.

When the other HW's started improving other aspects of their game he was still able to hang with them but looked a bit more vulnerable, like in the Brett Rogers fight where he seemed massively undersized and overmatched in the 1st round.

Bigfoot showed the world the best way to beat Fedor was to smother him and hit him with Ground and Pound, as long as you had reasonable BJJ defence you would win.

Still to this day think the Hendo win was a fluke but props to Hendo.

However, and I expect to get flamed for this, I think if he had fought Lesnar before the 1st bout of illness Lesnar had, he would have lost in a similar fashion to how he lost to Bigfoot, same would have happened with Cain and possibly even Shane Carwin as well.
    Got to disagree about him appearing overmatched in the Rogers fight. There was that bad spot where Rogers was on top, which I don't hink Fedor was too worried about although anyone could get knocked out in that position. But it felt like Fedor was in control and the KO was coming sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post
    Got to disagree about him appearing overmatched in the Rogers fight. There was that bad spot where Rogers was on top, which I don't hink Fedor was too worried about although anyone could get knocked out in that position. But it felt like Fedor was in control and the KO was coming sooner or later.
    Fair enough, i disagree though, he got bust open bad and looked worried in that 1st round, Rogers had him down and seemed in control, however he made one foolish mistake and thought he had broken Fedor and dropped his hands and BOOM, lights out!

I think Fedor looked relieved after the KO when his corner came running in, there was rumours of him looking really anxious prior to the fight in the backroom, perhaps there is even a video of this? I cannot remember exactly, perhaps another poster has a better recollection of the event?
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by mmafan111 View Post
    Fair enough, i disagree though, he got bust open bad and looked worried in that 1st round, Rogers had him down and seemed in control, however he made one foolish mistake and thought he had broken Fedor and dropped his hands and BOOM, lights out!

I think Fedor looked relieved after the KO when his corner came running in, there was rumours of him looking really anxious prior to the fight in the backroom, perhaps there is even a video of this? I cannot remember exactly, perhaps another poster has a better recollection of the event?
    I think the anxiousness was before his loss to Werdum. Some Russian priest didn't make it for his pre fight blessing or something.

Man, watch that fight again. Rogers only got the brief mount/gnp position cause Fedor risked rolling for a kimura. The blood, ate a jab and got cut. Blood isn't always a good indicator of who's winning. Fedor was always wild and reckless yet successful, which is part of the reason why so many people love him. He didn't worry about losing in any of his wins. He want out balls to the walls every fight which puts one's self in risky situations. No point fighting or boring gameplan from the Russian Bear. Sure after the first scramble Fedor looked awkward or like he gave up controlling Rogers on the ground. If you watch again, Fedor was in control minus the bloody nose and the 5 second gnp, which I still don't think he was worried about.

Rogers landed that jab, landed 2 or 3 punches during the ground and pound, and had Fedor pressed against the cage for some few moments.
    It looked like he did an awesome fight because Fedor was bleeding badly. But if we do not count the blood, we will see that Rogers never had Fedor in serious troubles.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Thread Information