Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anderson Silva Thinks Fight Against Nick Diaz Could Be One of the Greatest Fights Eve

Default Anderson Silva Thinks Fight Against Nick Diaz Could Be One of the Greatest Fights Eve

On July 24, the Ultimate Fighting Championship announced that it had reached agreement on a three-fight contract extension for Nick Diaz, drawing the former welterweight contender out of retirement.

Five days later, the organization announced Diaz would face former middleweight champion Anderson Silva in the main event of UFC 183 on Super Bowl weekend in Las Vegas.

“I never thought in my career that I would face Nick Diaz. He’s a guy that I’ve watched all of his fights. He’s got great jiu-jitsu, and this fight has all the ingredients to be one of the best fights of all time,” said Silva during a recent media conference call.

“This fight is going to be excellent for the fans. This is going to be excellent for myself, and for Nick Diaz as well. We both haven’t stepped in the Octagon for quite a while,” added the former middleweight titleholder.

“Nick Diaz is a guy that walks forward. He’s got great boxing skills, and he’s going to come to fight. I believe it’s going to be one of the best stand-up battles in the UFC.”

Silva and Diaz are known for their in-Octagon antics. They taunt their opponents, showboat, and regularly can be seen talking during bouts. But Silva is hoping Diaz keeps it professional in the lead-up to the fight and inside the cage.

“I don’t know him as a person. He doesn’t know me as a person. I’ve had a chance to talk to him a few times. He’s never been disrespectful. I hope it keeps this way. The day of the fight, we just get together, get in the Octagon, and put on a great show for the fans,” said the 39-year-old Brazilian.

“I just want to put on a great show for myself and the fans.”
    https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/and...8365--mma.html

Anderson Silva Dying To Fight Again, Says He’ll Be 100-Percent Against Nick Diaz
    Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva is widely considered the greatest mixed martial artist of all time. He’s the Michael Jordan of MMA, or maybe Michael Jordan is the Anderson Silva of basketball.

In his last outing at UFC 168, Silva suffered a gruesome leg injury equally as graphic as Paul George’s recent leg-break during a U.S. national team basketball scrimmage game. 38 years old at the time, Silva’s fighting future was uncertain. Through all the recovery and rehabilitation, retirement never once entered the Brazilian’s mind.

“It never went through my mind to retire,” said Silva during a recent media conference call. “I’m just dying to return to the Octagon and the thing that I most love in my life.”

Silva’s fighting style is reliant on his agility, speed, and striking accuracy. His kicking ability is a major part of his offense. Whether he’ll be able to return to top form remains to be seen, but he asserts that he’ll be good as new when he faces Nick Diaz on Super Bowl weekend in Las Vegas.

“There’s been a lot of physical therapy. Right now it’s about 95-percent and improving. For the Diaz fight, it will be 100-percent,” the former titleholder told MMAWeekly.com.

While Silva exudes confidence, a tiny bit of doubt seems to linger.

“There are no limitations. I’m not kicking as hard as I usually do, but I’m waiting to kick hard until the day of the fight.”
    https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/and...4064--mma.html
    Last edited by Thamob; 08-05-2014 at 02:59 PM.

Itll be a very fun and entertaining fight, but I doubt itll be one of the greatest fights ever. For that to happen it would have to be competitive and back and fourth, however I see Anderson just destroying Nick.

There's got to be some trash slung back and forth or at least a mean mug stare down, right? Going to be odd to not have any of that from at least one of the two.

The key to fighting Nick is to either put him squarely on his back or kick the shit out of his legs as he tries to cut off the ring. If Anderson's tentative about throwing those leg kicks, this could be a lot of fun to watch as Nick's volume of strikes and strange hand positioning allows him to hit guys even as they move their heads.

I just think Anderson's power probably wins out in the end and Nick ends up on the wrong end of a Thai clinch and a bunch of knees. Has anyone really seen Nick defend the Thai plum against someone his height?
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    The key to fighting Nick is to either put him squarely on his back or kick the shit out of his legs as he tries to cut off the ring. If Anderson's tentative about throwing those leg kicks, this could be a lot of fun to watch as Nick's volume of strikes and strange hand positioning allows him to hit guys even as they move their heads.

I just think Anderson's power probably wins out in the end and Nick ends up on the wrong end of a Thai clinch and a bunch of knees. Has anyone really seen Nick defend the Thai plum against someone his height?
    Can't think of any. And I think when he gets into that position, he doesn't clinch as much as he uses underhooks that would be very ineffective against Silva.

That's where I'm at.

One knee can end that even though Nick is durable.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Greatest fights ever to Silva because he's being handed a big name fighter on a silver plate who he can eat alive.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    Can't think of any. And I think when he gets into that position, he doesn't clinch as much as he uses underhooks that would be very ineffective against Silva.
    Underhooks would keep someone from kneeing your head off, if you can keep it tight.
    You know why people have eyes in the front? Because they have to move forward to see the landscape in the distance. If you had eyes in back all you could see is your home town getting farther away; you can't move forward like that. If your eyes are in front what you see in the distance keeps getting closer. That's what lets people move forward.

I think hands down Anderson should have the strength advantage so the plum is going to be very effective if Nick gets too close.
    I agree with SJ that Anderson would need to establish kicks but I honestly see Nick walking through them in the first two rounds and plodding forward to piston those jabs away.

I do believe Nick is durable enough to get out of the first round. I do not believe he is durable enough to last past 3. I see this fight being very exciting for two rounds and maybe half of the third but at the mid point I see Nick getting wrecked once Anderson truly gets in rhythm.

On the other hand, if Anderson cannot get in rhythm and is tentative with throwing kicks this could be very interesting because we do not know if Anderson's jaw has been jacked and if it can take the damage he used to be able to...not that he took much damage to begin with.

Those who do not appreciate life, do not deserve life.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cornute View Post
    I think hands down Anderson should have the strength advantage so the plum is going to be very effective if Nick gets too close.
    I agree with SJ that Anderson would need to establish kicks but I honestly see Nick walking through them in the first two rounds and plodding forward to piston those jabs away.

I do believe Nick is durable enough to get out of the first round. I do not believe he is durable enough to last past 3. I see this fight being very exciting for two rounds and maybe half of the third but at the mid point I see Nick getting wrecked once Anderson truly gets in rhythm.

On the other hand, if Anderson cannot get in rhythm and is tentative with throwing kicks this could be very interesting because we do not know if Anderson's jaw has been jacked and if it can take the damage he used to be able to...not that he took much damage to begin with.
    I hate to be lone dissenter, but I could see this going to decision.

Diaz isn't going to stop unless someone stops him. I believe that if Anderson beats him up too much, he'll pull guard.

Anderson has good defensive jujitsu, but other than the occasional triangle or rear naked choke, I don't think I've ever seen him use jujitsu offensively.

I could see round 3 - 4, being Diaz fighting off his back, and then a lack luster stand up in the 5th.

If it goes to decision, Anderson wins.
    You know why people have eyes in the front? Because they have to move forward to see the landscape in the distance. If you had eyes in back all you could see is your home town getting farther away; you can't move forward like that. If your eyes are in front what you see in the distance keeps getting closer. That's what lets people move forward.

Thread Information