Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paul Heyman: Ronda Rousey is the biggest draw in the PPV business

Default Paul Heyman: Ronda Rousey is the biggest draw in the PPV business

Paul Heyman: Ronda Rousey is the biggest draw in the PPV business
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/8/6/...iness-mma-news
    When asked on The MMA Hour who he thought was the biggest draw in the PPV business, his answer came as a surprise:

"I think the UFC has the biggest draw in PPV at the moment: Ronda Rousey."

Although Heyman could not deny that Floyd Mayweather was a bigger draw "on a one-off basis", he did make an interesting point regarding their respective corporate perception.

"Rousey brings a lot of things to the table that Mayweather does not. She is new to the general media. She is very sponsorable. Floyd Mayweather is not very sponsorable. He is always in trouble with the law. He is always in some sort of a scandal, always in some sort of trouble. It is not really the type of thing that NIKE really wants to sponsor."

Apart from saying that Rousey is "sponsorable", Heyman took it a step further and said that Rousey has already become the modern day Mike Tyson, even though she is yet to reach her full potential.

"Ronda Rousey is ridiculously sponsorable. Networks can build reality shows around her. She is at the top of her game and not satisfied with that yet. We haven't seen the best of Ronda Rousey yet, and I said this: everybody in the PPV business is looking for the next Mike Tyson.

"The UFC has her - her name is Ronda Rousey."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

If she goes on TV to talk about abusing her spouse like ol' Mike did with Robin, I'm out.

Seriously, though, I get the perceived marketability. I really do. However, the numbers CLEARLY don't reflect the perception at all.

Right now, she's a novelty at best to many people who see her as an exciting complement to a strong male main event.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

I think that indeed... for the purists... it is hard to see Ronda beyond being second fiddle to say Cain Vs X... however... she is the most dominant wmma fighter out there, and that is the general perception, regardless if Cyborg is better than her or not... what Heyman is stating... is based on the money side... forget about the athletic ability... they tried to build Gina Carano but she didn't have the athletic tools to pull it off... with that said... yes... I do believe that Ronda is the biggest draw (when combined with a "weak" headline)

Idaho... Potatoes aint the only thing that we grow..

I have learned a long time ago Paul Heyman typically knows what he is talking about, his client after all did defeat the Undertaker at Wrestlemania.
    Gotta resolve the Gayness

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Neustra View Post
    I have learned a long time ago Paul Heyman typically knows what he is talking about, his client after all did defeat the Undertaker at Wrestlemania.
    Are you sure? If his client ended the streak at Wrestlemania I would expect him to mention it once or twice.

I'm kinda confused by Heyman's stance because Ronda is clearly not the biggest draw in PPV and I'm not sure how her 'sponsorability' has any direct effect on that.

"With great power comes great responsibility."

6. 08-06-2014, 08:16 PM

Thought that I read not to long ago that Ronda hasn't landed and "BIG" sponsors yet..

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    Thought that I read not to long ago that Ronda hasn't landed and "BIG" sponsors yet..
    except being the face of the UFC uniform they sign in the next few weeks (according to rumors) with the likes of Nike, UA, Reebok, Adidas (who ever they sign the deal with)

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    Outside of the UFC themselves she hasn't really pulled in anything else

I'll believe it when I start to see some consistent PPV numbers. The bottom line is that the only stellar PPV numbers we've seen from her have been on cards that were either stacked from top to bottom or had another title fight headlining

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

She might be their biggest star, but I don't see how she's their biggest PPV star. The UFC's biggest stars, in one sense, are those on commercials, tv interviews, movies, etc. In another sense, certain "stars" sell a ton of PPVs when they fight. They're not always one in the same. Pop fans (or casual fans) don't necessarily buy the PPVs. The MMA fans typically buy the PPVs (if they don't suck!). The biggest PPV stars are crossovers attracting MMA purists and pop/casual fans.

Thread Information