Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jones responds to Chris Weidman's request for super fight: Absolutely!

Default Jones responds to Chris Weidman's request for super fight: Absolutely!

Jones responds to Chris Weidman's 'awesome' request for championship super fight: Absolutely!
    http://www.mmamania.com/2014/8/10/59...uper-fight-mma
    "Bones" (via Sherdog) is all over it.

Sherdog.com: Have you ever considered what it would be like to face Weidman in an all-New York fight at MSG?**

"Oh, man, I think that would be awesome. I would absolutely jump at the opportunity to have a super fight with Chris Weidman. I respect him a lot as a person and as a champion, and I think that that fight would make great sales -- absolutely."
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 08-10-2014 at 05:49 PM.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

All I can do thinking about this... Is *sigh*. Just such a pointless conversation. Of course jones would fight someone below him a weight class..... He's already a giant in his own division. Weidman is a great fighter but it's a little bit of soft ball in terms of size. Plus both guys still have fights in front of them... As champ weidman has only beaten silva and machida. Plenty of fights for him. If jones fights anyone outside of his weight class it should be a heavy weight.

I agree with your *sigh* but take a different view point. The only way to make this fight competitive is to make it at a catch weight of 195lbs. I highly doubt Jones can make 195lbs and even he did he would be drained it would slow him down and make his endurance go to shit. I don't believe from a health standpoint it's a viable cut for Jones, and this is an instance where I agree with GSP that putting on 20lbs of muscle would have to be done over a long period of time to be done properly. This is a fight that would need to be done way down the road so the titles in both divisions are not held up for a long period of time not to mention 185 has a lot of fights that still need to take place prior to Weidman "cleaning it out". Not to mention Jones still has a date with Gus that's at least a year off in the distance.

I know he was only answering a question. But man I don't care about this fight. They both have plenty left to do and although this is probably the most likely super fight on the horizon, it's way too early to be thinking about it.

Jones has another year of good fights for him. And Weidman has Vitor, Jacare, Rockhold, plus at least one more contender coming up the top 10 in the next months. At the rate Weidman fights, he's busy for the foreseeable future.

I'm much more interested in Jones taking a one-off fight to test his mettle at HW after his next two defenses. It tees up a parallel to Silva going up to LHW, continues to hype him, and starts a much more interesting question of him fighting for the HW title.

Didnt Jones just say not too long ago, that Weidman was not a big enough name for him to fight?

Id much rather see Jones talking about a super fight with Cain than I would with Weidman.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Sigh. No one wants to see Jones vs. Weidman. Silva vs. Jones might be actually bit intresting but then again I would rather have Jones go and challenge some legit HWs, but that's not going to happen as long as he can make weight at 205.
    Favourite fighters: Mark Hunt, Tom Niinimäki and Anton Kuivanen

When have superfights actually happened in the UFC? GSP vs Penn 2 is the only one I can think of. This type of speculation is almost pure fantasy.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    Another intelligent contribution by CTGreat.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    When have superfights actually happened in the UFC? GSP vs Penn 2 is the only one I can think of. This type of speculation is almost pure fantasy.
    Yup and in this case especially it's not like either guy has cleared out their division at this point in time get sick of hearing about proposed superfights that never happen

I hate anyone speaking of moving up or down for superfights when they have not beat more than two to three contenders in their divisions.

Agree with the above points about super fights, outside of GSP/ Penn 2 the only thing I can think of that was close was Aldo/Pettis which got cancelled and Pettis wasn't at the level he is at now in terms of UFC credentials. I'm tired of hearing about fights that won't happen.

Thread Information