Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: BREAKING: Jon Jones vs Daniel Cormier postponed till January 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Anyone think this could possibly be staged to make the UFC new years show get big numbers?
    No. The UFC put resources into promoting this fight so that hype would be at its peak in September. Pushing the date back only diminishes the "hype" gains they have made thus far. The brawl effectively brought attention to the event, but the attention span of the general populous is finite.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Alexander Gustafsson Won’t Accept Any Fights Before Getting Another Title Shot
    http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Ale...tle-Shot-71921
    Barring injury, it doesn’t appear that Gustafsson will get his wish, especially in light of the hype generated by the brawl between Jones and Cormier at a recent media day event. However, Terzitane told UFC Tonight that Gustafsson will not take any fight other than Jones in the meantime.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

So goose intends to sit on the sidelines for at least a year and a half before fighting again? By that time there will be at least one other viable contender that will come up. Like Anthony Johnson. Goose can only ride that "I almost beat Jones" mealticket for so long.

move one's bowels to a chicken coop. Kill chickens and pick up feathers. They blow the whistle on for 10 ea on forums. Also bury the bones you find.

Quote Originally Posted by disposableassassin View Post
    So goose intends to sit on the sidelines for at least a year and a half before fighting again? By that time there will be at least one other viable contender that will come up. Like Anthony Johnson. Goose can only ride that "I almost beat Jones" mealticket for so long.
    I agree.

Gus deserves the fight but he needs to move on, bitching has never turned out good for a fighter in the UFC.

Edit......................

Now that I think of it, the UFC is seriously lacking in active healthy champions right now.

Cain Velasquez - Injured
    Jon Jones - Injured
    Chris Weidman
    Johny Hendricks - Injured
    Anthony Pettis - Injured
    Jose Aldo - *Recently injured
    TJ Dillishaw
    Demetrious Johnson
    Ronda Rousey - Injured?
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 08-14-2014 at 05:19 AM.

Fighters should know by now that if you get a titleshot but get injured, you most likely lost that titleshot.

Goose is starting to sound like a jackass. He's got to accept that he lost his fight with Jones. He fought a great fight, but he lost and was not robbed. If he wanted to win, he either should have finished Jones or at least finish stronger in those championship rounds.

I was always more interested in seeing Cormier get the shot over Gus. I think Gus had a huge element of surprise favouring him in the first fight, and that won't happen in the second fight. I think Jones will win much more convincingly this time around.

Against Cormier though, I do think Cormier brings in a different array of tools, especially his level of wrestling than any other fighter. Sure, people will say Jones has fought good wrestlers but you just have to watch Cormier's fights to understand that Cormier's wrestling technique and skill is very different. His chain wrestling is something almost no fighter (with the exception of Cain) uses, and his takedowns and throws are not the usual things you see in MMA. Obviously Cormier needs more than wrestling alone, but that obviously is his biggest weapon. Personally, I also think Cormier has a much better fight IQ than a lot of Jones' opponents.

The other reason that I am interested in the Cormier fight is because to me, this is exactly the fight that will tell us if Jones is ready to move up to HW. If Jones beats Cormier convincingly, then obviously I think that he can compete well at HW.

In an ideal world, I would have Jones fight Gus first to get the rematch out of the way and then fight Cormier. If he beats Cormier, it's time to move up as he pretty much cleaned out the division. And no, I do not believe Anthony Johnson has anything for Jones.

I agree with Dr MMA here. I'll go a step futher and say that to me DC has even done more to earn the fight. Yes weight class matters but you can not ignore what DC did at HW.

To me Gus was only getting a rematch because well he did good against the champ before and it will sell tickets. I'm not saying Gus shouldn't get a rematch I'm just saying the UFC wasn't going to put him in a risky situation before DC came along. I was OK with this because we'll I wanted to see the rematch as well

My interest in a rematch is to see how Jones can adjust. It's starting to fad though with Gus not able to let the fight go. Hopefully Jones will face both title or no title.

I think DC could pull it off and will be a better gauge of how Jones future will look.

Jon Jones undergoes successful knee surgery
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/8/14...l-knee-surgery

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones underwent successful knee surgery in Los Angeles on Thursday.

According to a member of his management team, Jones is already out of the hospital, walking with crutches while his injured leg is in a brace.

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/08/ufc-to-...-future-events
    Video: Daniel Cormier will not undergo knee surgery despite delay in Jon Jones UFC 182 title fight
    title fight against Jones has been moved to Jan 3, 2015 as the UFC 182 headliner, "DC" will not change his mind about not having his own surgery and will instead continue rehab to let it heal and use the time off to get a full training camp, something he wasn't afforded before.

His words on UFC Tonight:

"I was disappointed. I've worked hard and I was starting to get myself prepared to fight. I've got some good training partners in here, guys coming in to actually help me. So I was bummed out, but then you have to kind of spin it. This is going to allow me to have more time to prepare for a championship fight and let my knee heal a little bit more. I'm going to continue to rehab and get prepared for the fight. I had made the decision to not have surgery already and I'm not going to change that now that the fight got pushed back. I'm going to take this time to actually work on my skills and actually be able to ease myself into training camp instead of having to jump in head first. I was really starting to feel it. my body was starting to feel the grind a lot sooner than I would have if I had four weeks to do like a pre-camp."

Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 08-15-2014 at 09:53 PM.

Thread Information