Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: BREAKING: Jon Jones vs Daniel Cormier postponed till January 3rd

Dana White on Jones-Cormier brawl, hot mics and potential punishments
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/08/dana-wh...al-punishments
    “You want my personal opinion? Our bad. It’s our bad,” White told MMAjunkie in a media scrum following UFC Fight Night 47 in Bangor, Maine. “These guys are fighters. They’re two of the baddest dudes on the planet. They’re going face-to-face to stare off. We have to make sure that doesn’t happen and shouldn’t happen, but it did.”

At a media event to promote the now-delayed light heavyweight championship fight, Jones (20-1 MMA, 14-1 UFC) and Cormier (15-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC) engaged in what was far from a routine staredown. Neither man gave an inch when approaching the other, and within seconds utter mayhem ensued.

While there have been incidents during staredowns in the past, what happened between “Bones” and “DC” took the cake. White said it was an unfortunate situation, especially because it was completely unexpected.

“I don’t think that was something that was thought about,” White said. “What happened was, when Jones went in fast and hard the way he did, he head butted (Cormier). Listen, you’ve got two of the baddest dudes in the world going face-to-face. Every time you do a staredown, it’s always explosive and anything can happen.

“Two of my favorite things in the sport (are) the weigh-ins and the fight. At the weigh-ins, guys have been away from their families for eight weeks or longer. They’re cutting weight, fight’s the next day. They’re nasty, they’re mean, they’re irritable and it’s explosive and anything can happen. Then the day of the fight is the reason we all watch.”

Typically White regulates the staredowns, but at the time of the media event, he was vacationing in Bora Bora and the UFC’s Senior Director of Public Regulations, Dave Sholler, took his place. Sholler was unable to contain the explosive situation, something White credits to inexperience.

“Dave ‘The Ragdoll’ Sholler, he doesn’t have a lot of experience in that position,” White said. “That thing got a little crazy. It’s going to happen. This isn’t ice-skating. It’s the fight business and anything can happen at any given moment, no matter how educated the guys are, how great they are, everything is always explosive, man. Two of the baddest dudes get in each other’s face, you’ve got to be ready and make sure nothing happens.”

The headlines from Jones and Cormier didn’t end with the brawl, though. The heat pored over to an ESPN interview later that day. Footage was released of the two fighters bickering at each other off-air while their mics were still hot, which brought excitement for the contest to a peak.

Questions arose about how such footage became available to the public, and while it’s certainly uncommon to see such raw, behind-the-scenes footage, White claims to know exactly how it was released. Moreover, he said the exchange was just the tip of the iceberg.

“I know how the clip got out there,” White said. “Every time you do those transmissions, those transmissions out there, they go to tons of media and they’re jumping from station to station. Somebody was on there actually filming when they were talking. You think that’s bad? You should see the other stuff we have that they were saying to each other that people didn’t get. It was pretty nasty.”
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Dana White on Jones-Cormier brawl, hot mics and potential punishments
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/08/dana-wh...al-punishments
    I'm surprised that no punishments are being handed out considering Jones assaulted a UFC employee.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    I'm surprised that no punishments are being handed out considering Jones assaulted a UFC employee.
    You're surprised that a star athlete isn't being properly disciplined? Let me introduce you to someone...

Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Jones assaulted a ufc employee ahahahahha
    Last edited by BonesKnows; 08-19-2014 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Well, i mean it was at least battery. Do you disagree? I doubt they will do anything about it though, seeing as he makes them some big bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    You're surprised that a star athlete isn't being properly disciplined? Let me introduce you to someone...

In all fairness, most jobs dont have a domestic violence (although being caught on camera and going viral probably would end in firing) the real issue is the inconsistencies in suspensions.

pop a molly=for games. smoke weed a few times = 16 games KTFO your fiance=2 games. Ben Roethlisberger got accused of rape but never proven yet gets double the punishment of rice? Goodell is a fucking moron.

For the record, I'm not defending Roethlisberger or saying Josh Gordon isn't an idiot but my point is they can't justify their suspensions at all with out being contradictory and hypocritical.

Quote Originally Posted by initial_zen View Post
    Well, i mean it was at least battery. Do you disagree? I doubt they will do anything about it though, seeing as he makes them some big bucks.
    If you get injured trying to stop 2 people from fighting, does that classify as batter? That argument would probably not hold up in court.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    Another intelligent contribution by CTGreat.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    If you get injured trying to stop 2 people from fighting, does that classify as batter? That argument would probably not hold up in court.
    The guy didn't grab or move toward Jones, all he did was stand his ground and spread out his arms. If you rewatch the video it is definitely assault and battery. People get charged for much less aggressive pushes than what Jones did. Like I said, I doubt anything will happen to Jones or Comier, and I don't think either should be charged for any crimes, but it is still assault and battery, none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    This has reached just silly levels of bias. Yes, if two people start a brawl in public, you are trapped in the middle of it, and one of them who is both significantly larger and a trained fighter shoves you to the ground, then you have a case for battery. Absolutely. And if Dave was injured in that fall, it'd be a more serious issue.

One of the major issues for me is that Cormier was already being held back and didn't pose a threat to Jones at that point. But Jones chose to go after him and assault an employee in the process.

Sure, it might not be jail-time worthy, but that's something you could press charges over and absolutely something you could sue over.

NOTE- I'm not saying someone should press charges against Bones or DC. But pretending that this isn't an issue is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by initial_zen View Post
    The guy didn't grab or move toward Jones, all he did was stand his ground and spread out his arms. If you rewatch the video it is definitely assault and battery. People get charged for much less aggressive pushes than what Jones did. Like I said, I doubt anything will happen to Jones or Comier, and I don't think either should be charged for any crimes, but it is still assault and battery, none the less.
    Jones intentionally assaulted the employee he went out of his way to push him specifically. It was not simply getting caught in the cross fire

Thread Information