Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dana White Says UFC Working to Improve Octagon Flooring, Passes Buck on Curbing Eye P

Default Dana White Says UFC Working to Improve Octagon Flooring, Passes Buck on Curbing Eye P

Issues such as eye pokes and slippery Octagon surfaces have recently been a source of complaints from UFC fighters. At this point, the complaints are being heard, but only some are being addressed by the organization.

UFC president Dana White said over the weekend that officials are looking into options that will improve the slippery canvas inside the UFC cage, and a plan has been in place to improve the surface for some time now.

“We’ve been working on it forever,” White said, addressing concerns of a slippery Octagon floor.
    The company president explained that fighters have been concerned about a sandy texture that causes them to lose their footing during their bouts. The substance meant to make the floor sticky, according to White, is responsible for the sandy conditions.

White did not reveal the name of the substance, but said that other methods to improve footing are currently being researched by his team in the Las Vegas-based promotion.

“We’re actually looking at a couple of different options right now for that, too,” he said, adding that they are “trying some new things.”

While White expressed an interest in improving floor conditions inside his fabled cage, he was less than willing to address concerns about lowering the number of accidental — or not-so accidental — eye pokes that happen during fights.

According to the UFC boss, curbing the number of fingers to the eyes falls on the referees, and he didn't reveal any plans on the part of his organization to reduce the amount of the illegal move.

White added that in his years of overseeing the UFC, eye pokes are more common now than before.

“Eye pokes are the (referee’s responsibility). The ref needs to make people start shutting their hands,” he said. “You start giving guys warnings, and then you start taking points, I guarantee you there are going to be a lot less eye pokes. We’ve been doing this for over 14 years. We went years without eye pokes. And then all of a sudden, everybody started poking each other in the eyes. The refs gotta take care of that, tell them to close their hands. And if they don’t, you warn them and then you take a point.”
    https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/dan...3272--mma.html

Typical "It's the refs/judges/commissions responsibility, not ours" approach, from Dana.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Typical "It's the refs/judges/commissions responsibility, not ours" approach, from Dana.
    In reality he is speaking the truth. They govern the rules not the organization. I do get where you are comming from though. He should have used a different approach/wording.

True, but it does kind of make him look bad when Bellator was actively working on making new gloves, to fix the problem. Then you have Dana who pushes it off on others. The UFC certainly has as much financial resources as Bellator/Viacom (at least what Viacom would likely be willing to sink in to Bellator). I just think they should be a little more proactive when it comes to this kind of stuff, especially when it could help protect the fighters.

I agree to an extent that the Referees should press the issue and be more strict when it comes to eye pokes, hand fighting is a big part of gauging distance tho so they cant always have their hands closed. The more blatant of fingers to the face should however be more closely monitored and penalized in my opinion
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

Without GSP, why would the organization out their new Golden Boy, cash cow and sponsorship king? Does it make sense business wise?

7. Default

So, when some poor fighter gets his eye poked out of the socket by some cheap shot artist, will it just be the ref on the lawsuit?

Johnson had his retina detached from an eye poke by Kevin burns. No lawsuit. Rumble came back after surgery and knocked that guy out cold.
    Last edited by disposableassassin; 08-20-2014 at 04:12 AM. Reason: because I am derp
    Quote Originally Posted by zana1126 View Post
    I prefer to watch my grandmother fucking.
    Whatever floats your boat man...

Johnson not Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Johnson not Jones.
    Fixed. Sorry I start talking about eye pokes and i automatically think Jones.
    Quote Originally Posted by zana1126 View Post
    I prefer to watch my grandmother fucking.
    Whatever floats your boat man...

Thread Information