Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bellator Releases Lightweight Champion Eddie Alvarez

Default Bellator Releases Lightweight Champion Eddie Alvarez

http://www.mmanews.com/bellator-rele...eddie-alvarez/

Bellator MMA issued the following on Tuesday … Bellator Statement On Eddie Alvarez
    Newport Beach, Calif. (August 19, 2014) – Bellator President Scott Coker has released a statement regarding Eddie Alvarez:
    “We’ve granted Eddie his unconditional release. Eddie is free to explore the free agent market, we hold no matching rights, and we wish him the best in the future. We sat down with Eddie and his team a few times, and it became pretty clear early on that he just wasn’t interested in fighting for Bellator in the future. We want guys in this organization that want to be here, and after the history Eddie and the former regime had here at Bellator, we decided to move on. We wish Eddie the absolute best of luck with whatever is next for him. It’s a new chapter for everyone involved.”
    Eddie Alvarez has also released a statement on the release:
    “This was a long process but it’s a decision that everyone seems happy with. I think it’s important to say that I am genuinely thankful for my time at Bellator. I know that sounds a little crazy given everything I went through, but I’ve fought there since 2009, and have been involved in some really amazing fights. The staff there always treated me great, and I’m going to miss seeing a lot of those familiar faces around for sure. Myself and my team had some really good discussions with Scott, but in my heart I knew I was ready to move on and start the next chapter in my career.”
    For more information, visit Bellator.com, follow Bellator on Twitter @BellatorMMA, and check out Bellator on Facebook at www.facebook.com/BellatorMMA
    Talk about this on our official FACEBOOK page, or on our official TWITTER page. You can also talk about it in our popular FORUMS.
    Eddie Alvarez is free agent

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/11...-eddie-alvarez

Coker, former CEO of Strikeforce, said he met with Alvarez and his manager Glenn Robinson in Miami shortly after replacing former Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney at the head of the company in June.
    At that time, Coker said it was clear Alvarez did not consider Bellator his long-term home.
    "The staff there always treated me great and I'm going to miss seeing a lot of those familiar faces around for sure. Myself and my team had some really good discussions with Scott, but in my heart I knew I was ready to move on and start the next chapter of my career."
    The announcement effectively ends a near two-year saga between Alvarez and the promotion, which began in late 2012 when Alvarez fielded a multi-fight offer from the UFC after Bellator waived its 90-day exclusive negotiating period.
    Rebney moved to exercise the promotion's right to match the UFC offer. Alvarez and his legal team argued, however, the Bellator offer was not the same. The two sides eventually filed countersuits against each other.
    In August 2013, a settlement was reached that included two fights from Alvarez under the Bellator banner and then his unconditional release. Three months after the settlement, Alvarez defeated Chandler for the lightweight title.
    He was scheduled to appear in a title bout against Chandler at a Bellator pay-per-view event in May, but withdrew due to a late concussion suffered in training. Chandler (12-2) went on to fight Will Brooks for an interim title and lost via split decision.
    Coker said he had not discussed Alvarez's departure with either Chandler or Brooks (14-1) as of Tuesday morning but believed that fight would happen next, "maybe in November." He did not know if Brooks would be promoted to undisputed champion.
    About damn time.

War Alvarez!! Time to show why he is imo the 2nd best 155er in the world right now.

Wow, after all that time of back-and-forth bullshit with Bellator/Rebney and Alvarez, Coker comes in and makes it that easy.

Do they cancel the Cerrone/Green fight and go with Cerrone/Alvarez like was the supposed plan earlier? Or Alvarez just waits to fight Cerrone in like October, November or December?

Maybe the Henderson/Dos Anjos winner?

Or best case scenario for Alvarez, he fights the winner of Pettis/Melendez. Although he'd be jumping quite a few people in line for that shot.

Worst case scenario for Alvarez, they give him Nurmagomedov for his UFC debut. It would/could be a #1 contender fight, but that's probably the toughest bout out there for him at the moment.

Nate Diaz would be one helluva scrap too. Maybe enticing enough to get Diaz out of retirement.
    Last edited by Sick_Lunatic; 08-19-2014 at 10:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I wanted to watch two fat guys stare at each other huffing and puffing

Holy fuck!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Business as usual.
    Quote Originally Posted by zana1126 View Post
    I prefer to watch my grandmother fucking.
    Whatever floats your boat man...

Love it!!! There are so many interesting fights for him in the UFC. Would like to see him fight Melendez somewhere down the road. I remember the trash talk they had a few years ago.

I still want to see him fight Cerrone.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I would love for Eddie to be cerrones sixth fight of the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by zana1126 View Post
    I prefer to watch my grandmother fucking.
    Whatever floats your boat man...

Welcome to The UFC. This has been a long time coming..

So many great matchups to be made for Eddie, he needed a deeper talent pool for Lightweight fights and Bellator just didnt have it to keep him interested. Hopefully he gets scheduled to fight soon!

too many potential sick fights for him to list
    "I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will get confused. 1: Si vis pacum para bellum. Latin. If you want peace, prepare for war. 2: Frank Castle is dead. He died with his family. 3: In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacies, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue natural justice. This isn't vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment "

If any fighter isn't interested in staying with any organization, then they should have the opportunity to come to terms with the company to be able to move on. It's been far too long for this to happen, but I am glad it it happen. Also glad Coker said, "We want guys who want to be here." That should be the attitude of any company.

I can't wait to see Eddie in the UFC. Many awesome fights to make.

Thread Information