Thread: What is your worst UFC card in terms of lack of big names?

Default What is your worst UFC card in terms of lack of big names?

I was just looking over the UFC 48 and 49 fight night cards and noticing how bad the UFC 54 card is in comparison in terms of big name fighters. Assuming that they are not adding anyone to that card, is there any card that is worse?

I think this is the line up:

Rory MacDonald vs. Tarec Saffiedine
    Raphael Assuncao vs. Bryan Caraway
    Kailin Curran vs. Paige VanZant
    Jingliang Li vs. Nordine Taleb
    Bruno Santos vs. Elias Theodorou
    Yosdenis Cedeno vs. Chad Laprise
    Mitch Gagnon vs. Aljamain Sterling
    Olivier Aubin-Mercier vs. Jake Lindsey
    Paul Felder vs. Jason Saggo
    Matt Dwyer vs. Albert Tumenov
    Pedro Munhoz vs. Jerrod Sanders

I'm not going to rake them over the coals too much for these FNs not being the deepest cards with big names too much because business-wise, the UFC's motivations behind the cards they're holding on Fight Pass aren't really intended for mainstream, mass consumption and widespread accessibility but rather are more intended to expand the brand on regional levels, where they want to get exposure in various markets for those specific fans in the arena and region, with the hopes of building a stronger core fan base with a wider blanketing of exposure across the world.

Well UFC 177 looks absolutely terrible. It is a PPV, and it looks much worse than many free cards.

You know, when Tony Ferguson vs Danny Castillo is the co main event, then something is really wrong.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

I'd have to say UFC 176 had the absolute least amount of big names. Actually it had no names, because it was cancelled altogether. WIN

All Fight Nights seem like this. There's 1-2 fights to be interested in, and then it falls of dramatically.

FN-48 - main and co-main
    FN-49 - top 3 + Max Holloway
    UFC-177 - main and co-main
    FN-50 - pretty stacked. top 4 fights
    FN-51 - main (bigfoot/arlovski)(the rest suck)
    FN-52 - main and co-main & gomi
    UFC-178 - stacked
    FN-53 - main and co-main
    FN-54 - main

So Fight Night 54 is pretty bad, but not really much worse than the other ones out there. Most cards only have the 2 or 3 fights I actually give a shit about. The Brazil one like this sucks pretty hard:

UFC Fight Night 51; September 13 - Brasilia
    Antonio Silva vs. Andrei Arlovski - HW (confirmed) Fox Sports 1
    Gleison Tibau vs. Piotr Hallman - LW (confirmed) Fox Sports 1
    Leonardo Santos vs. Lukasz Sajewski - LW (confirmed) Fox Sports 1
    Wendell Oliveira vs. Santiago Ponzinibbio - WW (confirmed) Fox Sports 1
    Iuri Alcantara vs. Russell Doane - BW (confirmed) Fox Sports 1
    Jessica Andrade vs. Larissa Moreira Pacheco - BW (confirmed) Fox Sports 1
    Godofredo Pepey vs. Dashon Johnson - FW (confirmed) Fight Pass
    Igor Araujo vs. George Sullivan - WW (confirmed) Fight Pass
    Francisco Trinaldo vs. Efrain Escudero - LW (confirmed) Fight Pass
    Paulo Thiago vs. Sean Spencer - WW (confirmed) Fight Pass
    Johnny Bedford vs. Rani Yahya - BW (confirmed) Fight Pass

I wish the UFC would make a monthly special, and air only the main events and guys who are close to a belt (fringe top 10s) on it. Make a card featuring all of them from.

Like the 'September Best of' would have a 2-3 hour show featuring:
    Mousasi/Souza
    Overeem/Rothwell
    Bigfoot/Arlovski
    Hunt/Nelson
    Tate/Nakai

And then THAT's a good fight card there. Although I doubt I'd wait until the end of the month to watch them all together. It's just I miss out on some fights because I don't watch it all the way just for one or 2 fights. Plus with the start times, and being on the east coast working, and starting at 6am, I can't stay up til like 1-2am for it. So enough of these stupid 'Best Knockouts' and 'Best Submission' specials they put on tv, just make a damn monthly best of, and throw in the best KO's and SUB's from that month as well.

/rant

Howdy Folks! You like blood? Violence? Freaks of nature? Well then, come on down to Captain Spaulding's Museum of Monsters and Mad-Men. See the Alligator Boy, ride my famous Murder Ride. Most of all, don't forget to take home some of my tasty fried chicken! Ha ha! It just tastes so damn good!

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I wanted to watch two fat guys stare at each other huffing and puffing

5. Default

I would have a lot less of a problem with soft cards if the UFC was actually pushing to legitimize the sport, rather then going for the sports entertainment market instead. If things like title shots and main event fights were determined by ranking instead of popularity, the less "popular" cards could be viewed as progressing the sport, instead of them providing an entertainment product with little entertainment value.

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    I was just looking over the UFC 48 and 49 fight night cards and noticing how bad the UFC 54 card is in comparison in terms of big name fighters. Assuming that they are not adding anyone to that card, is there any card that is worse?

I think this is the line up:

Rory MacDonald vs. Tarec Saffiedine
    Raphael Assuncao vs. Bryan Caraway
    Kailin Curran vs. Paige VanZant
    Jingliang Li vs. Nordine Taleb
    Bruno Santos vs. Elias Theodorou
    Yosdenis Cedeno vs. Chad Laprise
    Mitch Gagnon vs. Aljamain Sterling
    Olivier Aubin-Mercier vs. Jake Lindsey
    Paul Felder vs. Jason Saggo
    Matt Dwyer vs. Albert Tumenov
    Pedro Munhoz vs. Jerrod Sanders

Was going to buy tickets for me and my son but they want $85.00 for the upper lower bowel(on the ends) and goes up from there, Too much for that card IMO stay home watch it on T.V and enjoy my beer

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post

You know, when Tony Ferguson vs Danny Castillo is the co main event, then something is really wrong.
    Exactly what I just told a friend a few days ago.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Thread Information