Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alexander Gustafsson: I've been promised Jones-Cormier winner, possibly in Sweden

1. Default Alexander Gustafsson: I've been promised Jones-Cormier winner, possibly in Sweden

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/08/alexand...ibly-in-sweden

Alexander Gustafsson said he’s received assurance from the UFC that he’ll fight the winner of January’s UFC 182 headliner between light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and challenger Daniel Cormier.

In fact, he said, it could come in his native Sweden, possibly as a major stadium show.

Gustafsson (16-2 MMA, 8-2 UFC), who was supposed to rematch Jones (20-1 MMA, 14-1 UFC) earlier this year before his knee injury opened the door for Cormier (15-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC), today posted the update on Facebook.
    Alexander Gustafsson

Athlete · 275,096 Likes · 8 hrs ·

Here is an update guys:

Me and my team had a great call with the big boss Mr. Lorenzo Fertitta. I got a guarantee that I will face the winner of Jones or Cormier for a title shot and that it could happen in here in Sweden. So I would like to ask my fans here in Sweden to come and show your support in Globen 4th of October for my team-mates, Ilir Latifi, Niklas Bäckström, Magnus "Jycken" Cedenblad, Tor Troéng and the remaining fighters and show to the UFC that we can make some proper noise. We need to show UFC that we really can fill up an arena for 60,000 people for the title fight and what kind of atmosphere they can expect when we break the record of the biggest audience ever for any sports event in Sweden.
    That is what I want, I want Jones or DC, the winner to come here and fight me, I deserve that! With that said, meanwhile, if the UFC wants, I am ready to fight any other opponent they put in front of me.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Yea...bullshit. No way this fight would take place in Sweeden. Jones would never agree to such terms.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    Another intelligent contribution by CTGreat.

Nice. He's sitting on an impressive win over a top opponent since his loss to Jones. It figures he wouldn't want to fight Rumble. True Champion material.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

Assuming he wins his next fight, it should be in Sweden. Europeans have been begging for a title fight over there for years, and it'd be a nice way to make it up to him.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Yea...bullshit. No way this fight would take place in Sweeden. Jones would never agree to such terms.
    That's too bad. The first fight took place right near Jones own backyard. You would like to think Jon would want to be the kind of champion who was willing to face anyone anywhere. Not like Goose fighting in Sweden is going to give him super strength or something.

You must be assuming DC loses to Jones as well? I think Cormier has a really good chance to take the title away so Bones might not even be involved in the decision anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do end up matching Alex up with Anthony Johnson also. He even said he was open to take another opponent if the UFC wanted.
    Legalize MMA in New York

Quote Originally Posted by IrishX(aka bornbear) View Post
    That's too bad. The first fight took place right near Jones own backyard. You would like to think Jon would want to be the kind of champion who was willing to face anyone anywhere. Not like Goose fighting in Sweden is going to give him super strength or something.

You must be assuming DC loses to Jones as well? I think Cormier has a really good chance to take the title away so Bones might not even be involved in the decision anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do end up matching Alex up with Anthony Johnson also. He even said he was open to take another opponent if the UFC wanted.
    Jones will never sign a contract giving the opponent more favorable conditions and neither would I if I was Champ. Homefield advantage may be placebo, but that is an unnecessary risk for Jones. "The general who wins the battle makes many calculations in his temple before the battle is fought. The general who loses makes but few calculations beforehand."-Sun Tzu
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    Another intelligent contribution by CTGreat.

Gus deserves the shot way more than Cormier, but sitting on the sidelines doesn't do him any favours. He needs to stay busy and win another fight. Rather than complain about not having the shot (that he deserves) he should get another impressive win and remove all doubt that he's the #1 contender.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by RearNakedStroke View Post
    Nice. He's sitting on an impressive win over a top opponent since his loss to Jones. It figures he wouldn't want to fight Rumble. True Champion material.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Gus deserves the shot way more than Cormier, but sitting on the sidelines doesn't do him any favours. He needs to stay busy and win another fight. Rather than complain about not having the shot (that he deserves) he should get another impressive win and remove all doubt that he's the #1 contender.
    Goose hasn't turned down any fight, just wants the title shot guarantee (presumably tied to it):

With that said, meanwhile, if the UFC wants, I am ready to fight any other opponent they put in front of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    I have to disagree here. DC has a much better resume than Gus for one. And second Gus wasn't getting a rematch based on his lone win over a fringe at best if you twist it top 10 LHW. He was getting a rematch based on he did really good and had a close fight with the champ. You can only sit on that for so long. Everyone like to talk shit claiming if Jones was a real champ he would man up and fight Gus already but what does it say about Gus who would rather sit out months and months if not over a full year? Its time for Gus to suck it up and go prove he still deserves the title shot. Ducking fights just to get a title fight rematch against a guy you lost to is in no way showing signs of being a true fighting champion.

Thread Information