Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Using A Sauna Suit For Jogging?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central IL
    Posts
    2,162

    Default Using A Sauna Suit For Jogging?

    I've heard Randy Couture and Nate Quarry both say they use a sauna suit while running or jogging to cut weight, but is this completely safe? Some wrestlers around here wear garbage bags and go running, and it is illegal if I remember correctly because you can literally cook your insides from what I've heard. Can anyone give me any advice on this? What pace should I work at, what would be some effective exercises that would be enhanced by this, how many times a week should I use the suit? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.


    Abashed the Devil stood and felt how awful goodness is...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    7,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nate_Deezy
    I've heard Randy Couture and Nate Quarry both say they use a sauna suit while running or jogging to cut weight, but is this completely safe? Some wrestlers around here wear garbage bags and go running, and it is illegal if I remember correctly because you can literally cook your insides from what I've heard. Can anyone give me any advice on this? What pace should I work at, what would be some effective exercises that would be enhanced by this, how many times a week should I use the suit? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    That only works to temporarily lose water weight. Not to actually lose weight. The danger is in becoming too dehydrated. What exactly are you trying to do? Make weight for a competition or just lose weight?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central IL
    Posts
    2,162

    Default

    Basically just lose weight. I'm trying to diet but it gets really frustrating...so if i see the first few pounds fall off, it will give me more motivation to stick to my diet.


    Abashed the Devil stood and felt how awful goodness is...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    7,001

    Default

    In that case the sauna suit won't really help. If anything it will make you want to run less since you get dehydrated faster.

    I would say try to diet as good as possible. Lift weights 2 or 3 days per week, do HIIT 2 times per week and jog the other days, with 1 day of rest per week.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central IL
    Posts
    2,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clint
    In that case the sauna suit won't really help. If anything it will make you want to run less since you get dehydrated faster.

    I would say try to diet as good as possible. Lift weights 2 or 3 days per week, do HIIT 2 times per week and jog the other days, with 1 day of rest per week.
    Well I have done that before. I used to be like 170-175 but now I've let my fat ass get back up to like 225 lol. It sux extremely, but I work at a Dairy Queen and it's hard as hell to stay away from the foods that are really bad for me. So I was just kinda looking for some alternative methods.


    Abashed the Devil stood and felt how awful goodness is...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    7,001

    Default

    Yeah that kind of situation always sucks. All that you can really do is up your cardio as much as possible to make up any cheating.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central IL
    Posts
    2,162

    Default

    Well my cardio is pretty decent for a bigger guy. I'm not like enormously fat or anything....everyone tells me I don't look 225, and I hang out with some serious ass hole friends lol so they would tell me if I did. I can jog for an hour at a time most days, but I just kinda wanted to use this to get that initial few pounds off. Would you reccomend it? I want to have my first fight by the end of the year, and I want it to be at 170. I know I can do it because last time I dieted and exercised, I lost 55 pounds in 4 months, and did it in a healthy way. I just kinda wanted to speed up the process so I can perform better in my Jiu-Jitsu/ Muay Thai classes.


    Abashed the Devil stood and felt how awful goodness is...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    143

    Default

    To speed up your weight loss stop eating oats, pasta, cereal...basically anything that your body will turn into glycogen readily. You seem like you know how to eat/train if you 've lost 55 pounds in 4 monhts before so you probably already know this. You could also try to do an hour of cardio right when you get up in the morning, you'll definitely drop weight quickly since your body will be forced to burn fat for energy and give your metabolism a nice jump start each day. good luck

    p.s. don't eat any of that DQ food, but I think that goes without saying
    "The coward and the hero both have the same feelings, the only difference between the two is that the hero handles the feelings the coward does not." -Cus Damatio

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    7,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nate_Deezy
    Well my cardio is pretty decent for a bigger guy. I'm not like enormously fat or anything....everyone tells me I don't look 225, and I hang out with some serious ass hole friends lol so they would tell me if I did. I can jog for an hour at a time most days, but I just kinda wanted to use this to get that initial few pounds off. Would you reccomend it? I want to have my first fight by the end of the year, and I want it to be at 170. I know I can do it because last time I dieted and exercised, I lost 55 pounds in 4 months, and did it in a healthy way. I just kinda wanted to speed up the process so I can perform better in my Jiu-Jitsu/ Muay Thai classes.
    It's not really worth using the sauna suit until you get down to actually cutting water weight for the fight. So once you cut bodyfat and get your weight down to say around 185 then you would use the sauna suit to cut down to 170 by cutting water weight a day or two before the fight.

    Instead of jogging do sprint intervals when you can. Go for something like five to ten 100 yard full blown sprints. Run like you just got caught boning the police chief's daughter or like your chasing the guy that stole your car stereo. Even though it will only take 20 minutes or a half an hour, you will actually burn more calories than the hour of jogging because of the HIIT's fat oxidation effects (I have a study around here somewhere if you're interested). Also it will help more for your in fight cardio.

    Still run for distance some but start building the sprints in there as you can. Naturally you can't do them every day because your legs just won't be up to it but twice a week would be a good start.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,059

    Default

    Proper nutrition, excersice, and frame of mind is all you need. That waterweight you'd lose with a sauna suit would come back the next day. I play lacrosse in the summer time and lose about 5-10 pounds each game, but it usually comes back within a day or two. It's all about how bad you want to lose the weight, you'll put your mind to it if you want it.

    Just because you work at Dairy Queen doesn't mean you have to eat all the deep fried fatty foods they make.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •