Thread: Why Cory Spinks is de la Hoya's next big fight if he wins on May 5.

Default Why Cory Spinks is de la Hoya's next big fight if he wins on May 5.

Arguement time for me, and really, I didn't start thinking about this until just literally, right now. Many of you may wonder why I choose to talk about Cory Spinks. Sure he's a well-respected name, a star even. At one point, he was the undisputed welterweight champion, with good, solid wins over Zab Judah, Ricardo Mayorga, and Miguel Angel Hernandez, he's the current IBF Jr. Middleweight champion coming off wins over the highly-regarded Roman Karmazin and, er, Rodney Jones. And now, he's set to fight Jermain Taylor for the WBC/WBO and Ring Middleweight titles. However, Spinks is also not a terribly exciting fighter. He's definitely a slick boxer, but has nearly no power, having registerd only 11 KOs out of his 38 wins. If anything, he's one of boxing's career supporting actors, if you will. If Oscar de la Hoya and Manny Pacquiao are Brad Pitt and Denzel Washington, that would make Cory Spinks into Paul Giamatti. Occasionally a headliner, but usually found in the supporting actor role alongside the big name and always being critically acclaimed, if not publicly well-known.

So why Cory Spinks all of a sudden? Bear in mind, this probably only happens if Oscar beats Mayweather in about 10 days time, but this is definitely a reflection on the good situation that Spinks suddenly found himself in, whether he knows it or not. Let's look at the most likely situation first.

Spinks is the definite underdog in his fight against Jermain Taylor, who's younger, bigger, stronger, and more powerful than Spinks his, who holds the speed and boxing edges. While many people gripe about this particular fight, it makes sense honestly. It's another tough fight for Taylor, who's facing one of the best boxers, skill-wise, he's ever faced. Spinks is typically regarded as the top guy at Jr. Middleweight (with Oscar at about 2 or 3), whereas Taylor is seen as the true champion at Middleweight. I happen to be of the opinion that Spinks fights one of the best fights of his life, but still lose to Taylor, thus gaining rep and points for being willing to take on someone with so many more advantages in the fight. Spinks looks good in a loss, and he goes back down to Jr. Middleweight to defend, or unify, the titles. But when he goes back, he finds that Oscar, the money man himself, is still the WBC Jr. Middleweight champion, and probably now considered the top guy in the division. Spinks, with his newfound name recognition, calls for a fight with de la Hoya, and Oscar, having already said he's not ready to retire, weighs his options. No one is a loser here. Oscar is giving a dangerous, skillful opponent and fellow champion a shot, meaning he's willing to fight the best. As for Spinks, this is the big break he's been looking for his whole career. He gets to try and unify titles with the one superstar available to him, and a guy he could quite conceivably beat (and inversely, a guy who could definitely beat him). It's high risk/high reward for both, but definitely bigger rewards for Spinks. Beating Oscar makes him a widely recognized two division champion, different from just being a division titlist. Beating Oscar probably punches Cory's ticket to Canastota, and makes him a superstar, especially if the fight is entertaining.

Now, in the more unlikely event that Spinks pulls off the upset and becomes the new Middleweight champion, I think this fight has a better chance of happening. Why, you ask? Didn't I see the last time Oscar went up to Middlweight, nearly losing to Felix Sturm and getting knocked out by Bernard Hopkins? Of course I did, and that was Oscar, who's best classes are Welterweight and Jr. Middlweight, fighting true Middleweights. Spinks, the hypothetical new true Middleweight champion, is a light-punching blown-up Jr. Middlweight. Oscar's got nothing else to do at Jr. Middlweight, and no one else will come up from Welterweight at the moment to fight him (Cotto and Margarito, the most likely to fight Oscar, are with Top Rank). Middleweight champion Spinks, however, is now a certifiable star, holding a huge win over another star and being the true champion in his second division, while being on the surface a 3-division champion. Spinks is now a lot closer to getting to the HOF, and at Middlweight, he'd be able other big names like Winky Wright, Edison Miranda, Arthur Abraham, and Taylor in a rematch. Say what you will about Spinks, but he's got balls, he doesn't anyone and he's willing to travel. Remember, he won his IBF Welterweight title in Italy, in the champion's hometown. However, in this case, why not take another dangerous, possibly less so, but much more lucrative fight against de la Hoya, who would be tempted to move up again to vindicate himself against a guy who he'd be able to fight anyway at 154. Again, high risk/high reward, and Oscar has even more incentive to become a Middlweight titlist again.

Now, what do I think would happen if they actually did fight? Naturally, I think Oscar would win, but Spinks would give so much trouble to make the fight close and interesting. Spinks naturally has much more to gain in a fight with Oscar, and a fight between them wouldn't come near anywhere the hype of any of Oscar's big fights, but it would be a widely accepted match anywhere.

So then, what do you guys think? Is this feasible, or likely, even? Even if Oscar loses and Spinks loses, they'd still have a chance to fight each other, although, it wouldn't be as likely as the other two scenarios I described. Oscar de la Hoya vs. Cory Spinks wouldn't break any records, but Oscar being Oscar, and Spinks being a respected world class fighter with a good following would make for an intriguing match in my mind. Either title unifications or true divisional title matches means more dough for the fiscally-minded de la Hoya, while Spinks has only the obvious reasons for fighting Oscar, and that's why, if Oscar beats Mayweather, this is definitely the most likely, intriguing, and meaningful fight Oscar can take and make.

Israel Vazquez....Super Bantamweight Champ....Super Heavyweight Heart

This man is my hero.

Now it pained me to read all that. I think you should shorten up your posts a lil more because people like me don't feel like reading 3 or 4 paragraghs but, coming from you I broke down.

To get to the point. This would be a hell of a fight, but, unlikely to happen unless Spinks does big things like beat Taylor and even then Spinks would have to deal with Winky or even a rematch with Taylor before promoters entertain that fight. DLH is only looking for big money fights so Spinks has to do something big and there are too many bigger and stronger fighters (not better) with good drawing power like Winky or BHop.

This fight wont happen, and I think DLH will retire if he beats PBF but the next likely and biggest fight that could happen if Spinks loses is DLH, but I don't think DLH would even care.

BTW, this is all on the assumption that Oscar wins, because I really think he will win. If DLH and Spinks loses, then that fight is more likely, and I have DLH by KO in the 6th.

Heh, sorry about the post length...actually, I'm not that sorry at all. I'm an essayist and a writer at heart, I've always enjoyed writing, but I'll admit that I am a long-winded sort, especially once I get going on a subject I enjoy. Sometimes, I just can't help myself in that regard.

I don't think there's a bigger fight that Oscar could, or would, take. I hear a lot of people talking about Oscar vs. Winky, but somehow, I don't think he'll go anywhere near Winky. The guys who ever give Winky a hard time seem to be the guys who can outmuscle him and push him around, like Fernando Vargas or Jermain Taylor. Oscar's not that kind of fighter, but you never know, that is probably a bigger fight than Spinks, but I just don't think its as likely to happen as a Spinks fight.

The only thing bigger than a Spinks fight at 154 for Oscar would be if one of the welterweight stars move up. The obvious candidates are Miguel Cotto, Antonio Margarito, and Zab Judah, but again, neither are as likely as Spinks, in my opinion. Remember, Cotto and Margarito are Top Rank guys, and Judah brings too much baggage. He may not even be a top guy anymore, as he fights Cotto in June. Matter of fact, the three of them are probably busy for the rest of the year and have their own business to take care of. And there's no money or interest in Oscar fighting, say, Vernon Forrest, or having Carlos Baldomir or Luis Collazo move up to 154.

This man is my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Salvy_Mic
    Heh, sorry about the post length...actually, I'm not that sorry at all. I'm an essayist and a writer at heart, I've always enjoyed writing, but I'll admit that I am a long-winded sort, especially once I get going on a subject I enjoy. Sometimes, I just can't help myself in that regard.

I don't think there's a bigger fight that Oscar could, or would, take. I hear a lot of people talking about Oscar vs. Winky, but somehow, I don't think he'll go anywhere near Winky. The guys who ever give Winky a hard time seem to be the guys who can outmuscle him and push him around, like Fernando Vargas or Jermain Taylor. Oscar's not that kind of fighter, but you never know, that is probably a bigger fight than Spinks, but I just don't think its as likely to happen as a Spinks fight.

The only thing bigger than a Spinks fight at 154 for Oscar would be if one of the welterweight stars move up. The obvious candidates are Miguel Cotto, Antonio Margarito, and Zab Judah, but again, neither are as likely as Spinks, in my opinion. Remember, Cotto and Margarito are Top Rank guys, and Judah brings too much baggage. He may not even be a top guy anymore, as he fights Cotto in June. Matter of fact, the three of them are probably busy for the rest of the year and have their own business to take care of. And there's no money or interest in Oscar fighting, say, Vernon Forrest, or having Carlos Baldomir or Luis Collazo move up to 154.
    Nevermind Judah's baggage in their rematch Judah knocked spinks out remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by Caine2878
    Nevermind Judah's baggage in their rematch Judah knocked spinks out remember that.
    I agree. I think Judah is a hell of a boxer if he just stays focused and stops taking boxers lightly. And all he needs is one or two quality wins for him to draw attention again.

Can he get them though? He's so damn inconsistent. He'll look completely overrated in one fight, then look like Sugar Ray in another. He's got star power, no doubt, but that last hump that needs to get hurdled always seems to trip him up.

This man is my hero.

Thread Information