Jorge Gurgel Released From The UFC, Signs Deal With Strikeforce

0

Mike Afromowitz sent along the following:

SAN JOSE, CA – Lightweight (155 lb. limit) fan favorite and seven-time UFC veteran, Jorge Gurgel (12-5), has signed an exclusive agreement to compete for world championship mixed martial arts (MMA) fight promotion, Strikeforce.

“I am excited. To me, this is like a new start. I’m coming in fresh. I’m re-motivated and excited to mix things up in Strikeforce,” said the 31-year-old Gurgel, a native of Brazil, who relocated to Cincinnati, Ohio a decade ago.

Since his professional debut six years ago, Gurgel has emerged as one of the most dangerous players in the sport’s 155 lb. division by consistently bringing to the cage a go-for-broke style of stand-up fighting despite his status as a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt capable of producing submissions against opponents of any caliber.

If his rough house approach has said anything about Gurgel, it is that he is willing to trade blows with any and all comers.

“I’ve said it before and I will say it until the end of my career — My job is to get a name, date, and a location,” asserted Gurgel. “That’s why I have a manager. Different fighters do this for different reasons and I respect that. I don’t call people out. I just like to fight. I do not care.”

To succeed in Strikeforce’s lightweight division that is loaded with top talent beginning with reigning world champion, Josh “The Punk” Thomson, Gurgel will need to adjust his game and make use of his entire skill set, including his expertise in submissions, when necessary.

“I make some bad decisions because I have too much fun. I have never used my Jiu Jitsu in the UFC,” he said. “All of my fights in the UFC have been slugfests. People always tell me after my fights that they know I can be one of the top contenders in my weight class. They ask me why I don’t use my Jiu-Jitsu. I have so much fun standing up and I completely think I’m winning all the time.”

To his credit, Gurgel has taken calculated steps towards making himself a super force on his feet in order to accommodate his partiality for punching and kicking. To prepare for each of his last several bouts, he has ventured to Boston, Massachusetts the home of Muay Thai master and Spike TV’s “The Ultimate Fighter” season four trainer, Mark DellaGrotte. The mentor of UFC superstar Kenny Florian, DellaGrotte has also trained the likes of Stephan Bonnar, Marcus “The Irish Hand Grenade” Davis, and Patrick Cote.

“I’m going to do a lot of things differently in Strikeforce,” said Gurgel. “I will always bring the same intensity and I’m always going to fight 110 percent. I just want to be able to use everything that I know.”

About Strikeforce:
Strikeforce is a world-class mixed martial arts cage fight promotion which, on Friday, March 10, 2006, made history with its “Shamrock vs. Gracie” event, the first sanctioned mixed martial arts fight card in California state history. The star-studded extravaganza, which pitted legendary champion Frank Shamrock against Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt Cesar Gracie at San Jose’s HP Pavilion, played host to a sold-out, record crowd of 18,265. Since 1995, Strikeforce has been the exclusive provider of martial arts programming for ESPN and, after 12 years of success as a leading, world championship kickboxing promotion, the company unveiled its mixed martial arts series with “Shamrock vs. Gracie.” Since then, it has co-produced the first SHOWTIME PPV mixed martial arts event in history with its world championship “Shamrock vs. Baroni” card on June 22, 2007 followed by the first-ever mixed martial arts event at the world-famous Playboy Mansion on September 29, 2007. On April 12th of this year, Strikeforce launched the first-ever 52 week MMA series on one of the four major television networks in The U.S. — NBC.

DISCUSS THIS NEWS IN THE MMANEWS.COM FORUMS >>




Want to advertise your site in this space? E-mail the website staff today!

LATEST NEWS

George Foreman

Boxing Legend George Foreman Claims Mayweather Made McGregor Famous

George Foreman is one of the biggest names in boxing history, and as such, knows a thing or two about fame and being on the...

Luis Henrique vs Marcin Tybura Rescheduled for UFC 209

A heavyweight bout initially planned for UFC 208 between Henrique and Tybura has been added to March's UFC 209 Brazil's Henrique squares off against Poland’s...
Tito Ortiz

Tito Ortiz Offered to Fight Fedor Emelianenko at Last Minute at Bellator 172

Ortiz had reached out to Scott Coker to offer his services to "the company" following Matt Mitrione's pull-out prior to the main event on...
video

Bellator 172: Post Fight Press Conference Featuring Fedor Emelianenko

Scott Coker opened the press conference with a statement addressing the cancelled fight between Fedor and Matt Mitrione, and stated that the promotion is...
Fedor Emelianenko

Matt Mitrione Tweets Reason For Cancelled Fedor Emelianenko Bout

Mitrione and Emelianenko were scheduled to square off at Bellator 172's main event on Saturday night before the fight was cancelled at the 11th...